Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Take a Gap year or not? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been interested in the idea of a gap year between school and uni for a while, but my parents said I wasn't allowed one unless I was willing to pay for the top up fees being introduced in 2006 (I'm in year 12 at the moment). So, I was quite annoyed but I stoped thinking about it and started thinking about uni instead, and got excited about that. But now the government have said that people who apply for deferred entry in 2005 will not have to pay the extra fees.

So now I'm facing the dilema of whether I should take a gap year or not. I think it would be a great experience, and a chance to travel, but then again I can think of a lot of reasons not to take one as well. Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    You could always go after your degree, take as many gap years as you want then.

If you've got the money yourself to pay the extra fees then go for it, otherwise probably be better not to go on a full blown gap year. Or just do something smaller in the summer after year 13 and before you start uni, go treking/railing or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    If you've got the money yourself to pay the extra fees then go for it,
    I said in my post that people who apply for deferred entry DON'T have to pay top up fees. That's the reason I'm thinking about a gap year again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I said in my post that people who apply for deferred entry DON'T have to pay top up fees. That's the reason I'm thinking about a gap year again
    Ohh right sorry, what are you waiting for then? There's no financial constraints (top up fees) in the way so just go, what were you planning on doing: dossing about/working/travelling/other??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Ohh right sorry, what are you waiting for then? There's no financial constraints (top up fees) in the way so just go, what were you planning on doing: dossing about/working/travelling/other??
    I agree, you probably won't get around to doing it after you've completed your degree so it's better to do it now than never. I do wish I had considered taking a Gap year, my friends are going Ecuador to teach soon, I'm so insanely jealous!

ReputationRep:
    What are you planning to do in a gap year? Gap years are usually a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclone666)
    What are you planning to do in a gap year? Gap years are usually a complete waste of time.
    I don't agree with that at all. I'm on a sort of gap year at first it was by choice, but it turned out that i didn't get the grades i needed so i ended up having to resit anyway.

I had lots of things planned that i haven't been able to do but i've learnt a lot. I feel much more confident about going to uni if and when the time comes, and i've managed to save enough money so that i won't have to work at uni if i don't want to. Lots of people i've spoken to say they notice a big difference between people who've been on gap years and people that haven't.

I'm probably looking at taking another gap year, especially now health problems mean i may not meet my uni offer. Since the government have announced the change in regulations to top up fees, i'd go for it. Even if you don't have lots of fantastic stories to tell (which i'm sure you will) you'll probably learn a lot about yourself and won't spend uni wondering "what if?.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: i dont know what to dooo! lol

ReputationRep:
    Can't be bothered, and I don't have enough money. Plus I want to get on with things - my current favourite, Glasgow, will be a five year degree course anyway :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I agree, you probably won't get around to doing it after you've completed your degree so it's better to do it now than never. I do wish I had considered taking a Gap year, my friends are going Ecuador to teach soon, I'm so insanely jealous!
    You could still have one -- just ask your uni to defer your offer.

ReputationRep:
    yeah we had a ucas thing this week and apparently if you defer entry you do not have to pay top up fees throughout the duration of your course i think it was done because otherwise there were too many applicants compared to previous year.
    Btw does anyone know of some volunteer conservation agencies that don't charge you? i would be interested to know thx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just thought I'd throw in my own totally biased opinion. I'm just coming to the end of a gap year that was half necessity and half my own choice, and I've had a very good time.

Whats the rush to go off to uni, particularly if there are no financial constraints? It'll still be there next year, and this is one of the few times you'll have the free time and lack of responsibilities to do something like it. You can go after uni, loads of people do, (and I plan to, what are savings for, after all ) but this way you won't have the pressure of that big fat student debt hanging over you.

Most important thing to do in a gap year is to keep busy. Get a job for a few months (I worked in a bar, best to find a job with good hours/pay) bank your paycheck then go do what you want. Travelling is enormous fun, and if you pick your countries right and live cheaply you can make a little money go a long long way (I went to Argentina, Chile, Peru and Bolivia, the last two being particularly dirty cheap.) I'd recommend travelling independently, as most Gap year projects and companys gouge you for shedloads of money, plus you won't get the freedom or experiance you get by doing it yourself.

Just my opinion, but I'd say if you can do it, do it. And hey, I hear Ecuador is great, I'm annoyed I didn't get there myself. Cheap too

ReputationRep:
    You can take a gap year and go to uni in 2006 now. I checked the UCAS website saying that people who defer entry to go to uni in 2006 will not have to pay top up fees.

ReputationRep:
    When you 'defer' your entry, does it mean you still have to apply at the same time as if you were entering in 2005?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    When you 'defer' your entry, does it mean you still have to apply at the same time as if you were entering in 2005?
    Yes, theres something you can tick if i remember rightly on the UCAS form where you can defer your application. But you still apply as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Yes, also if you're going to take a year out before starting your course, make sure your university will accept a deffered entry application as some unversities prefer you not to take a gap year in some areas as they're afraid you'll lose some 'sharpness'!

(Original post by waiting2smile)
    Yes, also if you're going to take a year out before starting your course, make sure your university will accept a deffered entry application as some unversities prefer you not to take a gap year in some areas as they're afraid you'll lose some 'sharpness'!
    yes i was talking to our school about this and she said most courses like gap years but courses like maths tend not to as people loose thier maths skills

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's accept gap years, so there's no worries!

ReputationRep:
    So you would still have to pay top-up fees if you take another year resiting modules/picking up new or finishing A2s?

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same situation so I'll add a few comments.

I was orignally going to take a year out, mainly to save some money for uni and to have a break. A few months after I planned this i got more and more interested in university when eventually i was compelled to apply for entry this year. I had some fears about taking a year out, looking my "student" part of myself, getting too used to the money, passion for uni fading etc. Because of this, i applied to uni (Teesside) which im really looking forward to.

After i applied to uni I knew it was right, i had a passion to learn more and in more depth. My AVCE course wasn't too hard and i never felt really challenged. So hopefully Teesside should make me work hard to get a good degree (im aiming for 2:1).

Of course no-one can take my example and copy it exactly, but basically, if you're deciding if you want a year out consider the following:

Do you really want to be out of education for a year?
    Will your studying abilites become rusty?
    Do you have a yearning to learn more?
    Are you enthusiastic about university?

etc etc. It all comes down to you, as an individual, your tastes, likes and dislikes about colllege, university, and life in general.

Edit: When i was contemplating taking a year out i was told explicitly that I wouldn't have to pay top up fees.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.