The Student Room Group

Which cities have good shopping/enjoyable: Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Bognor Regis and Lowestoft. Definitely go to these places 100%, they have amazing shops. Every1 agree right?
Reply 21
No i dont. LEEDS ALL THE WAY!we have Harvey Nichols, Louis Vuitton, Ted Baker, Vivienne Westwood, Whistles, All Saints, absolutely loads of designer shops, then theres all the high street shops so Topshop, River Island, Schuh, Faith, Monsoon, Accessorise, H&M , Zara, Debenhams, House of Fraser, loads more of them just can't think of anymore, then loads of little one off shops and boutiques :] its amazing.
manchester. old trafford centre is immense and even the shops in town aren't crap, the newly done up centre loooks pretty nice 2bh although bluewater ftw :p:
Reply 23
Liverpool! =D It's dead good... there's loadsa shops, also we've got a new shopping centre thing called the met quarter which is like designer shops etc etc also, we're gonna be getting a massive shopping centre but, yeah, that wont be ready by august. Also there's like sooo many tourist attractions... stuff to do with the beatles, a bunch of museums including a Beatles museum, at art galleries (TATE liverpool and the walker art gallery which is a bit more traditional)

Also yanno, you've got your usual high street shops. Oh and the best clubs ever =D
London.
Manchester and Leeds.
Reply 26
The arndale in Manchester is fantastic.

For a bit closer to London, Milton Keynes all the way :biggrin:
Come on down to Cardiff, stuff England :p:
Birmingham No.1................http://www.bullring.co.uk

thats just indoors....theres a whole lot more on the high street and in the pavillions and neighbouring streets.....all close together (plus all the other places people have mentioned above)
city_chic
Come on down to Cardiff, stuff England :p:

In a couple of years when the redevelopments are done definitely but for now Cardiff can't compare for shopping in Birmingham or Manchester.
Reply 30
Thanks for all the helpful replies :smile:

According to the replies so far, best and most enjoyable cities for shopping in order are:
1. Manchester - 10 votes
2. Birmingham - 7 votes
3. Leeds - 3 votes
4. Liverpool - 1 vote
Reply 31
No!!! Come to Birmingham - it's way better than Manchester. The Bullring is the shopping capital of Europe! (maybe, lol)
Original post by Joffy
In my opinion the shopping in B'ham is better than Manchester. The bullring has everything you could ever need and I'm quite sure that all the development area is bigger
Incorrect the Trafford centre is quite a lot bigger, Manchester also has more than one of a lot of shops for example, apple, selfridges, hollister etc. As there is city centre shopping and also the Trafford centre a little out of the city centre. Manchester also offers better upmarket shopping with places like new catheadral street which is home to Ralph Lauren store, Hugo boss store and much more.
London or birmingham
Depends what kind of experience you’re after. Liverpool has Liverpool One which is outdoors but still sheltered so you’re not sweltering and suffocating like in the Trafford Centre. It’s also more spaced out and newer so I think it’s a more pleasant shopping experience. Having said that, the Trafford Centre is really family friendly yet opens really until about 9ish for shopping and 12 for dining. It’s also more compact if you hate walking. The Lowry Centre (again Manchester) is outlet and frankly, quite dull, although I love their Christmas markets (even then, Liverpool One’s is superior though). Cheshire Oaks is amazing for variety and price but is always jam packed.

Just realised this thread’s 11 years old. Oh may as well, Liverpool One didn’t exist back then 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
The Trafford Centre isn't in Manchester and the Bullring includes Grand Central now. Hope this helps.
Original post by Reviews01270
Incorrect the Trafford centre is quite a lot bigger, Manchester also has more than one of a lot of shops for example, apple, selfridges, hollister etc. As there is city centre shopping and also the Trafford centre a little out of the city centre. Manchester also offers better upmarket shopping with places like new catheadral street which is home to Ralph Lauren store, Hugo boss store and much more.
they all do, but i've done just fine in birmingham growing up nearby to town. bullring/grand central is live if anyones wondering.

Quick Reply

Latest