The Student Room Group

Are these equal?

y=1m[br][br]y=1m[br][br]y=1my=\dfrac{-1}{m}[br][br]y=\dfrac{1}{-m}[br][br]y= -\dfrac{1}{m}

are these all the same thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thefatone

Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

eyy that was quick ^-^

Reply 3
eyy that was quick ^-^

That's the maths forum for you. :tongue:

No problem.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
That's the maths forum for you. :tongue:

No problem.

Do you know where i can find reserve papers for Edexcel C1 and C2? they're much more difficult(it also says on the front that the paper is strictly for students outside the UK)
Reply 5
Do you know where i can find reserve papers for Edexcel C1 and C2? they're much more difficult(it also says on the front that the paper is strictly for students outside the UK)

Do you men regional papers? If so - those are found here for C1 (all the papers marked (R)) and here for C2 (all the papers marked with an (R) ).

As you can see, there are only 1/2/3 (R) papers available (and btw, they're not all more difficult; that's a myth, it's just normal fluctuations in difficulty.).
y=1m[br][br]y=1m[br][br]y=1my=\dfrac{-1}{m}[br][br]y=\dfrac{1}{-m}[br][br]y= -\dfrac{1}{m}

Yes,
y=1m=11m=1m=1m1=1m11=1my=-\frac{1}{m} = -1 * \frac{1}{m} = \frac{-1}{m} = \frac{-1}{m} * 1 = \frac{-1}{m} * \frac{-1}{-1} = \frac{1}{-m}.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Do you men regional papers? If so - those are found here for C1 (all the papers marked (R)) and here for C2 (all the papers marked with an (R) ).

As you can see, there are only 1/2/3 (R) papers available (and btw, they're not all more difficult; that's a myth, it's just normal fluctuations in difficulty.).

Ah yes that's what i meant :smile:

in which case could you help me do question 9 part b?

https://917c8db4f385e20466384eff57d816b2bed188db.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMVhvRUNrcWJ6LXM/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf
C1 2014 june paper
Reply 8

https://917c8db4f385e20466384eff57d816b2bed188db.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMVhvRUNrcWJ6LXM/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf
C1 2014 june paper

If y=3x+ky=3x+k is tangent to y=x23+8y = \frac{x^2}{3} + 8 then that means the curves only intersect once, that is - there is only one solution to the equation 3x+k=x23+83x + k = \frac{x^2}{3} + 8. Re-arrange this to get a quadratic and then think about the discriminant of this quadratic, what does it mean for the discriminant if there is only one solution?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
If y=3x+ky=3x+k is tangent to y=x23+8y = \frac{x^2}{3} + 8 then that means the curves only intersect once, that is - there is only one solution to the equation 3x+k=x23+83x + k = \frac{x^2}{3} + 8. Re-arrange this to get a quadratic and then think about the discriminant of this quadratic, what does it mean for the discriminant if there is only one solution?

= to 0?
Reply 10
= to 0?

Precisely, and since the discriminant is a function of k only, then that'll let you solve for k.
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
Precisely, and since the discriminant is a function of k only, then that'll let you solve for k.

but i get a negative constant and that's not right....

Spoiler

but i get a negative constant and that's not right....

Spoiler

You forgot to multiply 8 by 3 (second line)
Reply 13
Original post by Math12345
You forgot to multiply 8 by 3 (second line)

thank you
Reply 14

C1 2014 june paper

Zacken's method is fine. But it's good to look at different methods and the more "common" method here would be :

The gradient of y=3x+cy=3x+c is 3 so this is a tangent at the point on the curve where dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx} = 3.

Solve dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx} = 3 to find the coordinate of this point and you can use that to find cc.
Reply 15
Original post by notnek
Zacken's method is fine. But it's good to look at different methods and the more "common" method here would be :

The gradient of y=3x+cy=3x+c is 3 so this is a tangent at the point on the curve where dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx} = 3.

Solve dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx} = 3 to find the coordinate of this point and you can use that to find cc.

I'm not quite sure what to do?

do you sub 3 into the curve c to find the y-coordinate of the point they meet? then find the x-co-ord ?

... not realyl sure what o do though

in any case the way zacken did i did initially, i just asked for help to verify where i went wrong :smile:
Reply 16
I'm not quite sure what to do?

do you sub 3 into the curve c to find the y-coordinate of the point they meet? then find the x-co-ord ?

... not realyl sure what o do though

in any case the way zacken did i did initially, i just asked for help to verify where i went wrong :smile:

No you would find dydx\frac{dy}{dx} first and then solve dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx}=3.
Reply 17
Original post by notnek
No you would find dydx\frac{dy}{dx} first and then solve dydx=3\frac{dy}{dx}=3.

i'm not sure what you would do with that :/
please elaborate on this "common" method
Reply 18
i'm not sure what you would do with that :/
please elaborate on this "common" method

The gradient of the tangent is 3 since it's equation is in the form y=mx+cy=mx+c where m=3m=3. This means that the gradient is 3 on the curve at the point (call it P) where the tangent meets the curve. Draw a sketch if this is confusing.

The next step is to find the coordinates of P. So the question is now:

The gradient of the curve with equation y=13x2+8y=\frac{1}{3}x^2+8 at the point P is 3. Find the coordinates of P.

This a standard C1 question that you should be able to solve.

Once you have found the coordinates of P, you can substitute them into y=3x+ky=3x+k to find kk. You can do this since P lies on the tangent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by notnek
The gradient of the tangent is 3 since it's equation is in the form y=mx+cy=mx+c where m=3m=3. This means that the gradient is 3 on the curve at the point (call it P) where the tangent meets the curve. Draw a sketch if this is confusing.

The next step is to find the coordinates of P. So the question is now:

The gradient of the curve with equation y=13x2+8y=\frac{1}{3}x^2+8 at the point P is 3. Find the coordinates of P.

This a standard C1 question that you should be able to solve.

Once you have found the coordinates of P, you can substitute them into y=3x+ky=3x+k to find kk. You can do this since P lies on the tangent.

.... i don't really get what to do???

i'm not getting the bit where i do something with the gradient and find the co-ordinates of the point of intersection.

Quick Reply

Latest