The Student Room Group

Manager has put me own as an unscheduled absence when I actually telephoned in sick?

I rang in sick for an evening shift on Wednesday night at my place of employment because I was in a lot of pain due to my wisdom teeth coming through. I could hardly eat and even after taking 2 aspirin's and 2 ibuprofens the pain was sill not completely gone. Being recorded as an unscheduled absence carries with it a disciplinary however I rung up on the day of my shift giving her about 5 hours notice before the start of my shift (minimum notice is 2 hours)

I frankly do not think it's fair that I would be penalised over something I have no control over especially when I already had a dental appointment booked for the following monday and my doctors told me to see my dentist

What can I do about this?
Original post by Anonymous
I rang in sick for an evening shift on Wednesday night at my place of employment because I was in a lot of pain due to my wisdom teeth coming through. I could hardly eat and even after taking 2 aspirin's and 2 ibuprofens the pain was sill not completely gone. Being recorded as an unscheduled absence carries with it a disciplinary however I rung up on the day of my shift giving her about 5 hours notice before the start of my shift (minimum notice is 2 hours)

I frankly do not think it's fair that I would be penalised over something I have no control over especially when I already had a dental appointment booked for the following monday and my doctors told me to see my dentist

What can I do about this?

Politely ask why and say it's just so you can't make the same mistake again. For example: "Could you clarify for me exactly why you have given me disciplinary action just so I don't make the same mistake in future?"

Depending on how important your job is to you, it might be wise to think about moving rather than working for someone who doesn't respect your health and wellbeing.
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
Politely ask why and say it's just so you can't make the same mistake again. For example: "Could you clarify for me exactly why you have given me disciplinary action just so I don't make the same mistake in future?"

Depending on how important your job is to you, it might be wise to think about moving rather than working for someone who doesn't respect your health and wellbeing.

I've just spoken to said manager over the telephone and she's denied the fact that she's put it down as an unscheduled absence despite the fact that that is what it says on-line and she was the only one I spoke to on that day
I've just spoken to said manager over the telephone and she's denied the fact that she's put it down as an unscheduled absence despite the fact that that is what it says on-line and she was the only one I spoke to on that day

What will happen if it doesn't change?
Reply 4
Original post by carrotstar
What will happen if it doesn't change?

She just said she would talk about it when I'm next in so I'll just have to wait then. This manager in particular has a reputation for being a nightmare and causing problems for all the staff so it's not just me

If she denies it, then cool, just get her to change it or ask someone to rectify the record.
Also send an emial ot HR telling them it in inaccurate.
Keep a copy.
(edited 7 years ago)
She just said she would talk about it when I'm next in so I'll just have to wait then. This manager in particular has a reputation for being a nightmare and causing problems for all the staff so it's not just me

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it doesn't have a negative effect on you. If it can in any way be serious or brought up in the future, then maybe take notes stating when each step/conversation occurred and what the outcome of that step was. Then if you're challenged for whatever reason you can describe exactly what happened and when.

Edit: Something my Dad always does when he makes important phone calls is note down the number, time of day, take the name of the person he spoke to, and summarise the conversation for future reference in case it comes to bite him in the ass. Once our broadband supplier guaranteed us a particular price and then overcharged us, but because he noted the name of the employee he spoke to and the time and date of the phone call, they traced it back and he admitted he quoted the wrong price, so we got it at that price as an apology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
If she denies it, then cool, just get her to change it or ask someone to rectify the record.
Also send an emial ot HR telling them it in inaccurate.
Keep a copy.

I will be emailing our companies HR regarding this matter; see what they say
She didn't change it, just denied it. She's the only one who would have known so it's obvious she was lying
I will be emailing our companies HR regarding this matter; see what they say
She didn't change it, just denied it. She's the only one who would have known so it's obvious she was lying

Theres no point creating a drama, just say whoever has entered it has made an error. They can make their own minds up.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Theres no point creating a drama, just say whoever has entered it has made an error. They can make their own minds up.

Thank you, I've explained the situation to them in the email

Thank you for your advice :smile:
If they dont get back to you within 48-72 hours ring them and speak to a named person.
Have you got proof on your phone that you called?
Or do you remember who you spoke to?
Original post by Findlay6
Have you got proof on your phone that you called?
Or do you remember who you spoke to?

Yes to both questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending