Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This was a question i got in the cie exam today. Cant quote the question exactly but i can remember the question (If you can recall it better than me feel free to correct me). A resistor Y has the diameter D and length L. A resistor Z has the diameter 2D and length L. Calculate the ratio of the drift velocity Resistor Y drift velocity/ Resistor Z drift velocity. I calculated it and got 4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello, I've moved this to physics for you.

I'm not entirely sure which exam you have taken, but there are lots of exam discussion threads here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=372 so you might be able to find what you're looking for there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    This was a question i got in the cie exam today. Cant quote the question exactly but i can remember the question (If you can recall it better than me feel free to correct me). A resistor Y has the diameter D and length L. A resistor Z has the diameter 2D and length L. Calculate the ratio of the drift velocity Resistor Y drift velocity/ Resistor Z drift velocity. I calculated it and got 4.
    I think that Z had diameter 2d and length 2l and, as speed is proportional to length and inversly proportional to area (or square of diameter), then v(y)/v(z) = 1/[2*(1/2^2)]=1/[2*(1/4)]=1/[1/2]=2
    Not 100% sure, though.
    EDIT: the answer is actually 4 as length does not affect drift velocity.
    Do you remember how many marks this was worth?

ReputationRep:
    For the last ratio, power dissipated in Y/power dissipated in Z , did you get 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olmomiau)
    For the last ratio, power dissipated in Y/power dissipated in Z , did you get 2?
    I think so, i remember it being the same as the resistance ratio.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    x
    I see. You have posted the electricity question here, haven't you? are the giving answers not helpful for you? I am trying to solve your question, even if it lasts a bit. Hope to find it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I see. You have posted the electricity question here, haven't you? are the giving answers not helpful for you? I am trying to solve your question, even if it lasts a bit. Hope to find it out for you.
    Sorry about that, but thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry about that, but thanks.
    You have written that you got 4 as the ratio. Would you like to write your calculations down, please? hope to get a picture by seeing your steps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    You have written that you got 4 as the ratio. Would you like to write your calculations down, please? hope to get a picture by seeing your steps.
    Okay. Hopefully it is readable.

FIRST PART: Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  59.3 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kallisto)
    you have written that you got 4 as the ratio. Would you like to write your calculations down, please? Hope to get a picture by seeing your steps.
    second part

Name:  part 2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.9 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    second part

Name:  part 2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.9 KB
    SO, I hope that I have found a way to calculate the ratio. Hope that you understand my steps, as I am not able to write in latex. Here it is:

I = Q/t = n*A*e*(L/t); t = D/vd
    => I = n*A*e*(L/(D/vd))

Iy : Iz = n*A*e*(L/(D/vd)) : n*A*e*(L/(2D/vd) = L/(D/vd) : L/(2D/vd) = 1 : 1/2 = 2

If it is confusing you too much, I am trying to write my steps in latex.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.