Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've averaged pretty high marks in all the past papers that I've done so far but I absolutley flopped both specimen papers more so the second one. What do I do? I'm going to find out where I went wrong. Most of my mistakes are just me Rushing or just the pressure of eveerything. Maybe 10% of any of my mistakes was a gap in my knowledge in any paper I've ever done and I've worked to seal those gaps. The specimen papers really took a chunk out of my morale because I thought I'd be okay for at least paper 1.. apparently not HELP!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Okay so I've averaged pretty high marks in all the past papers that I've done so far but I absolutley flopped both specimen papers more so the second one. What do I do? I'm going to find out where I went wrong. Most of my mistakes are just me Rushing or just the pressure of eveerything. Maybe 10% of any of my mistakes was a gap in my knowledge in any paper I've ever done and I've worked to seal those gaps. The specimen papers really took a chunk out of my morale because I thought I'd be okay for at least paper 1.. apparently not HELP!
    First of all, specimen papers are normally a little bit funny since they were like the first papers produced before anyone had ever sat the exam. Normal past papers are slightly different to specimen papers.

You need to make sure you don't rush through the past papers when you do them. Take your time. Try and do them under exam conditions, using the full time you would get in the exam. Make sure you go back through and check through your answers.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much, the new spec is crazy and some of the questions are funky on the specimen paper. You don't even have a grade boundary to compare it to so you never know if it was a hard specimen paper. I would say just make sure you know the content inside out, but actually apply the content. I've noticed that this new spec has questions that are more applied, I remember doing a hidden set specimen paper for paper 1 and the last question was a questions on mechanics when the previous question was about waves. You have to learn how to apply the knowledge to different parts of the syllabus. For example, the differences between the photoelectric effect and the Youngs' double slit experiment's and what they proved about the theory of light.

You've got loads of time to prepare, just do questions, tons of them. Try the old, old spec even.. like the one predating to the early 2000's. Heck, even try paper 1 of the new spec's A2 specimen papers.
    Physics is not something you should be rushing on, just read the question and break it down; makes it more simpler.

However, Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.