(Original post by jammyd)
Yes, not at A-level though.
Maths is easier ... in my opinion.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by me!)
You changed your avatar!

I'm predicted a B for media studies and an A* for maths...
Exactly! It's absolutely pointless to call it easy. What is easy for some may be impossible for others and vice versa. I am finding maths as-level easier than any of my GCSE subjects. I really doubt I could get above a B or C in media studies a-level yet I'd probably be able to get three As in double maths and physics (supposedly the hardest subjects :rolleyes:).

Some subjects may generally be more useful than others but it seems from the posts here that media studies degrees are quite good for certain jobs, especially considering the standard of applicants is likely to be lower than something like English on average (because top universities don't offer it and more acedemic applicants may be detered by all the mickey mouse claims).

(Original post by Tinykates)
look at the prospectuses of unis that do media - it tells you where some of their post-grads have gone.
Anyway, i'm going to uni to enjoy it, and I'm living life to enjoy it - You only live once and i'm not wasting mine on maths
I would have thought Maths would leave you with a lot of free time compared to other subjects if you are decent at it.

Arts VS Science. I'm better at arts, some people are better at sciences. Tends to be those better at the sciences who class media as 'mickey mouse'.
All apart from sciences and Latin are mickey mouse .
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Really - you think that *any* degree will provide you witha comfortable happy life - no peice of paper can do that, your own attitude to work and other people will do that....and in those respects Tinykates is showing much more potential for a comfortable happy life than you are.
Thats kind of been my point all along. Its all about the person just as much as what it says on your piece of paper. I know Maths is hard and everything but some people (though only a small minority) of the people that seem to have studied it seem to be so stuck up like the old fashioned stereo typical view of a student.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Who thinks Cobra is going to fail University and end up on benefits for being arrogant and cocky?
Meeee
hehe - erm, me too
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who thinks Cobra is going to fail University and end up on benefits for being arrogant and cocky?
Meeee
Hate to say it but the people I know who've done worst post graduation are the people who think that their degree entitles them to something...your degree is evidence of some skills - what you do with that evidence and how you apply those skills will determine your success...not the coat of arms or the curly writing on the paper. Getting 80%+ in all of your uni exams and a 1st is useless if you have nothing to offer an employer.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
OK I am an employer two people turn of the the interiview one is a maths graduate the other media studies. The maths graudate isa total plonk from Oxbridge, the other is a media studies graduate from UAE who has real personality which person do I employ? The media studies person.

I don't study media studies by the way. I am just making a point that a degree in maths dosn't guarentee anything. I am not saying a degree in media studies is better than a degree in maths before you bite your head off.

I also find media studies people very interest personalities (the ones that due it because they enjoy the subject rather than because its a doss subject (not that I am saying it is)).
<pulls the face of no vavavoom> See my previous posts. And all the rest of my posts if you reckon mathematicians have no personality.
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Meeee
Well grades AAB in maths physics and chemistry are usually a good indicator that i wont fail
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Media studies is fyn! but a 3 yr degree? NO WAY! Do it in 2 at least save the government money for more important courses.
The only few important courses in this country are ones like Dentistry, Pharmacy and Medicine, anything else can be obtained by sheer hard graft, the thing is after all these doctors and stuff earn their PHD and go into NHS for a couple of years they all turn private and thats the end of state healthcare.
My journalism degree is going to be useful, all my tution fees are being paid for by the government because my dad is retired and out income is low, do you think just because I'm doing a 3 year degree in Journalism at the cost of this country (not my fault) that I deserve what I want any less than that person that's just happening to be studying History from Bradford that is on income support because it's apparently not "Useful". How come he gets a degree and I don't? Hows that for equality?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And just for the record I did maths physics and chem a level and a BSc in Geology - I'm science through and through. I just think that any learning experience is worthwhile...it's just a shame that a lot of people don't realise that what you learn at uni which will set you up for life has almost nothing to do with your scores in exams (the stuff you learn for exams is important - but not nearly so much as becoming an independant employable valuable member of the adult world)
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
<pulls the face of no vavavoom> See my previous posts. And all the rest of my posts if you reckon mathematicians have no personality.
You have a great personality, and I respect your passion for maths Why can't people accept media - it's the 21st century - things are changing.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
HELLO - that's what this is all about everyone is different ok? just accept media studies is a valuable degree and get on with your lives. I wouldn't critcise any degree that someone obviously has a passion for. If there are people doing it who enjoy it then it is NOT 'mickey mouse'
WTF??

I didn't **** Media. You can do football studies at LJMU and golf green keeper somewhere else. I didn't take this piss out of anyone, I merely said that if people want to call media and general studies mickey mouse then they should stop ignoring Business studies. I said only yesterday somewhere that you should do something you enjoy, and you should be encouraged to do it (except if its football studies.)

I loved English lit at A-Level.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The personality of the person doesnt affect the general perception of the degree if its useless its still useless with or without personality
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Are you a 'mathematician' or an a level maths student? I am the latter but I wouldnt class myself as the former.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Hate to say it but the people I know who've done worst post graduation are the people who think that their degree entitles them to something...your degree is evidence of some skills - what you do with that evidence and how you apply those skills will determine your success...not the coat of arms or the curly writing on the paper. Getting 80%+ in all of your uni exams and a 1st is useless if you have nothing to offer an employer.
Quite so!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Well grades AAB in maths physics and chemistry are usually a good indicator that i wont fail
I know people with straight As in science A levels and 2is who have been unemployed for over 2 years because of their own arrogance and self importance.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You have a great personality, and I respect your passion for maths Why can't people accept media - it's the 21st century - things are changing.
Why thank you milady, and your personality is admirable too.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
WTF??

I didn't **** Media. You can do football studies at LJMU and golf green keeper somewhere else. I didn't take this piss out of anyone, I merely said that if people want to call media and general studies mickey mouse then they should stop ignoring Business studies. I said only yesterday somewhere that you should do something you enjoy, and you should be encouraged to do it (except if its football studies.)

I loved English lit at A-Level.
Maths is easier than business studies.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Are you a 'mathematician' or an a level maths student? I am the latter but I wouldnt class myself as the former.
The latter, going to be the former at university, then who knows.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm all for doin something that you enjoy but dont waste the countrys money on a degree which will be of little benefit, and let others who do sumthing which allows people to be useful, what useful service to society does a media graduate provide?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Yes but they don't mean that you won't fail life. Its up to the person therefor media studies may be very useful for some people which in term will help them get a good job even if its not in media.

If Media studies was as crap and as easy as people keep making out we would have 10000's of media studies graduates working behind the tills in McDonald's I don't see this happening.

I just hate all this I have a maths degree I can do anything cockyness. I know when I graduate I may just end up in a crappy £10k a year job and prepaired for that, are you? I also know that it will not be hard to work my way up once I am in and will end up with a decent salary because I will work my way up in the old fashioned way. My degree will also be vital for this.

I know quite a few people with good degrees who are currently unemployed because they are not willing do lower jobs because they feel its beneaf them. I am sure there wasn article in this on the Guardian recently I will see if I can find it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?