Turn on thread page Beta

media studies IS NOT A MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dani and I want to go to Uni, and we want to enjoy it while we are there. What's is everyone's problem with this. I could argue till I'm blue in the face why media is NOT 'mickey mouse'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Ok well i'll go off and degrade my self while developing drugs to make you all healthy after getting my first in chem from durham, and you can be more useful than that with a newspaper.

You are so arrogant. You deserve to not do well with that attitude. You havn't even finished your a levels and youre talking about just strolling to Durham and casually obtaining a first in chemistry. Get real!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    That is why I said working behind the tills. All the graduates probably have management jobs, also McDonalds is one of the largest companies in the country.
    That has less to do with the nature of degrees and more to do with the shortage of jobs for graduates. That is why employers have to distiguish. It's a comfort that Maths is well respected by the employers of "graduate-type" jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Ok I have to say Cobra has got one thing right though, maybe a media studies degree or equivalent isn't useful for getting a job, but if your taught to pick apart the media doesn't it make you able to pick through the crap the newspapers write and actually get to the bottom of what's really going on?
    Journalists know exactly whats going on in the country, all the scandals, the finance, the war...we only see their gatekeeping of it. Surely that could help you become a more worldly person.
    And one of the reasons I want to do a Journalism degree is I want to live in London as soon as possible because you can get used to it, the atmosphere, the people, being right in the middle of it and experiencing it all first hand. If I weren't going to University I wouldn't be able to afford it in the first place and it's giving me a stepping stone as well as helping to give me more contacts, meet important people in the field and learn to adapt to the rules of journalism for myself.
    Surely that's not three years wasted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    You are so arrogant. You deserve to not do well with that attitude. You havn't even finished your a levels and youre talking about just strolling to Durham and casually obtaining a first in chemistry. Get real!!!
    Not casually, but i know with the amount of work i do, i am capable.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well i'll go off and degrade my self while developing drugs to make you all healthy after getting my first in chem from durham, and you can be more useful than that with a newspaper.
    Actually I don't use drugs in that sense I use holistics and I'm allergic to penecillin, go figure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    That has less to do with the nature of degrees and more to do with the shortage of jobs for graduates. That is why employers have to distiguish. It's a comfort that Maths is well respected by the employers of "graduate-type" jobs.
    Be careful. Everyone thinks 'maths is the gateway to success' and everyone will have a maths degree. Then youll find it hard. The same thing is happening with law degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Dani and I want to go to Uni, and we want to enjoy it while we are there. What's is everyone's problem with this. I could argue till I'm blue in the face why media is NOT 'mickey mouse'.
    I'm convinced anyway. To be honest before I came on this site I used to think Media studies was a bit micky mouse but it seems there are so many clever people here studying it. You go and study Media Studies do well, get a good job working in McDonalds*

*As their media advertising consultant making the adverts for tv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Ok Ok I have to say Cobra has got one thing right though, maybe a media studies degree or equivalent isn't useful for getting a job, but if your taught to pick apart the media doesn't it make you able to pick through the crap the newspapers write and actually get to the bottom of what's really going on?
    Journalists know exactly whats going on in the country, all the scandals, the finance, the war...we only see their gatekeeping of it. Surely that could help you become a more worldly person.
    And one of the reasons I want to do a Journalism degree is I want to live in London as soon as possible because you can get used to it, the atmosphere, the people, being right in the middle of it and experiencing it all first hand. If I weren't going to University I wouldn't be able to afford it in the first place and it's giving me a stepping stone as well as helping to give me more contacts, meet important people in the field and learn to adapt to the rules of journalism for myself.
    Surely that's not three years wasted?
    At last sumone who sees my point, not that i want to **** you all off for choosing media, just that it isnt the most useful subject in the world

ReputationRep:
    Not casually, but i know with the amount of work i do, i am capable.
    Well work hard and get that grade A in your third A level subject! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Respect to you developing drugs cobra. Equal, (if not more as she has to deal with people criticising her degree) respect to Dani and her newspaper.

I could not develop drugs which is why i'm not doing Chemistry. I doubt you could do write a newspaper article as well as Dani. People have different talents - STOP criticising other people's because they are different from yours!

ReputationRep:
    Well work hard and get that grade A in your third A level subject! ;-)
    I am

ReputationRep:
    Be careful. Everyone thinks 'maths is the gateway to success' and everyone will have a maths degree. Then youll find it hard. The same thing is happening with law degrees.
    I'm enthusiastic, hard-working and capable. I'm not afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Respect to you developing drugs cobra. Equal, (if not more as she has to deal with people criticising her degree) respect to Dani and her newspaper.

I could not develop drugs which is why i'm not doing Chemistry. I doubt you could do write a newspaper article as well as Dani. People have different talents - STOP criticising other people's because they are different from yours!
    I'm not trying to judge other people level of talent, merely the usefulness of it.

ReputationRep:
    I am
    If your work rate was so perfect last year why didnt you get three A's?

ReputationRep:
    I am
    I do appreciate the drug developing though, my mother's a very sick woman and she depends on her asthma and emphsymia drugs. So yeah sorry......

ReputationRep:
    At last sumone who sees my point, not that i want to **** you all off for choosing media, just that it isnt the most useful subject in the world
    And i agree with you too - media is what i'm best at though. I would love to be a nurse, or doctor, but i'd be crap! I faint practically every time i got into a hospital - i can't help it and i really do respect people in the medical profession (including the development of drugs)

ReputationRep:
    If your work rate was so perfect last year why didnt you get three A's?
    Because nobody is perfect, and it was maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths has got to be one of the easiest subjects. Easier than media and business studies at any rate!

ReputationRep:
    Its true Maths is a ******* but if ur dedicated nothing should stop you!

By the way cobra do you know a girl called natalie kirk at new college?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.