media studies IS NOT A MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT Watch

This discussion is closed.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Maths has got to be one of the easiest subjects. Easier than media and business studies at any rate!
I would beg to differ, as i'm sure would many others, but difficulty is subjective.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maths has got to be one of the easiest subjects. Easier than media and business studies at any rate!
I disagree. Maths is generally regarded as one of the hardest subjects.

J.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
I disagree. Maths is generally regarded as one of the hardest subjects.

J.
Sum people have a natural talent for maths, i dont but i try hard and do reasonably well.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You're not doing the free-standing units by any chance?
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Sum people have a natural talent for maths, i dont but i try hard and do reasonably well.
Im finding it a piece of piss. Getting to grips with trig diff. is hard but its not that bad. Business is WAY harder.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It worries me applicants choosing a degree or a university on the percieved employability of the resultant degree.

I hate to break this to you all but you're not employers, and on the evidence of this thread you don't seem to know what employers are looking for (with the exception of Dani who has very specific goals in a very specific industry and has researched them thouroughly - and also Daveo who's lucky enough to have a job for life if he can get through the next 4 yrs of study).

And more to the point not one person on this thread...and not one person on this planet...knows what employers will be looking for in their potential employees in 2, 3, 4 years time - I certainly don't know.

So why base your choice of subject on this unknown factor - why dismiss another subject as less worthwhile based on a complete unknown? Baffles me...admittedly the whole applying for uni is a stressfull time - and the reassurance that comes of believing that your decisions now will set you up for the next 10, 20, 45 yrs is not to be dismissed - but that's all it is a belief...it's a guess that you put your faith into and holds no guarantees.

The employment market has changed dramatically in the last 50 yrs, and the changes aren't stopping they're only gathering pace...the most important skill anyone applying to university can learn is to deal with change and thrive in uncertain situations...the only certainty in life now is death, taxes and change.

Please stop bickering about your personal opinions based on you personal assupmtions based on your personal experiences...it's a waste of everyones time and in the end it will only affect yourselves. Putting other peoples achievements and opinions down doesn't make your achievements or opinions greater - it just makes your attitude nastier.

Thank you

(please note I include myself in all the implications included in the above rant/statement)
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It worries me applicants choosing a degree or a university on the percieved employability of the resultant degree.

I hate to break this to you all but you're not employers, and on the evidence of this thread you don't seem to know what employers are looking for (with the exception of Dani who has very specific goals in a very specific industry and has researched them thouroughly - and also Daveo who's lucky enough to have a job for life if he can get through the next 4 yrs of study).

And more to the point not one person on this thread...and not one person on this planet...knows what employers will be looking for in their potential employees in 2, 3, 4 years time - I certainly don't know.

So why base your choice of subject on this unknown factor - why dismiss another subject as less worthwhile based on a complete unknown? Baffles me...admittedly the whole applying for uni is a stressfull time - and the reassurance that comes of believing that your decisions now will set you up for the next 10, 20, 45 yrs is not to be dismissed - but that's all it is a belief...it's a guess that you put your faith into and holds no guarantees.

The employment market has changed dramatically in the last 50 yrs, and the changes aren't stopping they're only gathering pace...the most important skill anyone applying to university can learn is to deal with change and thrive in uncertain situations...the only certainty in life now is death, taxes and change.

Please stop bickering about your personal opinions based on you personal assupmtions based on your personal experiences...it's a waste of everyones time and in the end it will only affect yourselves. Putting other peoples achievements and opinions down doesn't make your achievements or opinions greater - it just makes your attitude nastier.

Thank you

(please note I include myself in all the implications included in the above rant/statement)
Please note I exclude myself from this rant
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well you may still think i'm arrogant but i agree with most of what u ranted about, nobody really knows, we can only guess
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Please note I exclude myself from this rant
Do you study your subject because you love it? If so you're excluded.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Thank you

All that is 100% true except i have 4 and a 1/2 yrs left! HEHE

On a more serious note! THis is correct and with ever more people gettin ever better results and more people getting degrees it can ony get harder for employers to choose their workforce in the future!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Course I love it. Not that it's my life or anything but I enjoy it. It's just a nice coincidence to me that it's employable.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I study my subject because i love it, does that mean i'm excluded, thats also why i defend it so strongly, and it is also why i will accept a relaltivly small sallery for a very high level of education, which happens in scientific research
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
I'd pay money to see that!!.....and that doesn't mean an as-level maths exam paper by the way
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well go ahead and try it, wiseguy.
Differentiation = method to work out a formula for the gradiant at any point = anx^n-1

Integration = backwards differentiation

tanx = sinx/cosx

(sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1

That's about all you need to know for P1. The year I do it, the only thing I need to know beyond GCSE is how to differentiate - all trig. and integration has been removed.

v = u + at

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

s = ut + (1/2)*at^2

Diagonal force can be split into its constituent horizontal and vertical parts like vectors.

That's half the M1 syllabus and most of this is taught at GCSE if you do triple science.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
All that is 100% true except i have 4 and a 1/2 yrs left! HEHE

On a more serious note! THis is correct and with ever more people gettin ever better results and more people getting degrees it can ony get harder for employers to choose their workforce in the future!
Yeah I think thats another reason why more and more people are choosing to do masters and PHd's. There is an other side to all this though and it benefits gradautes. The more graduates there are there and more difficult it gets for non graduates to get jobs. Therefor if you want to get a decent job you must have a degree (in most cases) but if you have a degree it dosn't guarentee you will get a good job.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I study my subject because i love it, does that mean i'm excluded, thats also why i defend it so strongly,
Well then you should understand why Kates and Dani feel so strongly.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Differentiation = method to calculate rate of change in gradient = anx^n-1

tanx = sinx/cosx

(sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1

That's about all you need to know for P1. The year I do it, the only thing I need to know beyond GCSE is how to differentiate - all trig. and integration has been removed.

v = u + at

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

s = ut + (1/2)*at^2

Diagonal force can be split into its constituent horizontal and vertical parts like vectors.

That's half the M1 syllabus and most of this is taught at GCSE if you do triple science.
Bullcrap and you know it. Linear interpolation? Vectors? And what about the other module? I'd like to see this...
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lol Yay me for not being included!!
I mean though I haven't got an exact specific goal (except to be a very rich columnist with the best clothes and a very gorgeous rich husband and to do all my grocery shopping in harrods (jk))
but I mean I still don't know what area of journalism I want to go into, everybody always asks me that and I certainly know it's not going to be

a)Celebs-Can't stand the celeb mags, I mean yeah sure they are unaturally good looking and skinny but does that make them special?

b)Money-If I can't save it, I can't help anybody else

c)Sport-Hahahaha yeah right

d)Politics-I'm too opinionated and if I were Jeremy Paxman the PM would have had it from my fist

e)Weddings-Yuk

f)Fashion- It's a fact, I have NO style

Doesn't really leave me much, maybe music...or war correspondance you know danger money and all that
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah I think thats another reason why more and more people are choosing to do masters and PHd's. There is an other side to all this though and it benefits gradautes. The more graduates there are there and more difficult it gets for non graduates to get jobs. Therefor if you want to get a decent job you must have a degree (in most cases) but if you have a degree it dosn't guarentee you will get a good job.
i think that is a bad thing about society, i think the govenment shouldnt be encouragning more people to go to univerisity, they should encourage those who want to go for a reason, but i know quite a few people whoi are goin cos everyone else is.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah thats true i'd not thought of that!
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Differentiation = method to calculate rate of change in gradient = anx^n-1

tanx = sinx/cosx

(sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1

v = u + at

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

s = ut + (1/2)*at^2

Theyre cutting trig out of the first year?!?!?!? surely the second year will be solid trig then lol
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.64%
Excited (155)
9.16%
Worried (304)
17.96%
Terrified (376)
22.21%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%