Turn on thread page Beta

media studies IS NOT A MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred0202)
    I sampled a bit of that in physics, I hated it.
    So do i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Do you do maths? There is no comparison. Business is harder hands down.
    My mate got 100% in bussiness and only just under 90% in maths, he finds maths harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I totally agree, its the same in physics, it has no maths in hardly,a nd in chem, they need to find another way of attracting people
    Yes, ten years ago the Physics A-level was very mathematical - I know someone who learnt more maths in physics than in maths! Now, physics concentrates on principles and explanations. Pity.

J.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I loved mech hated stats

ReputationRep:
    And with that i'm goin, to bed, good night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    My mate got 100% in bussiness and only just under 90% in maths, he finds maths harder
    I spose it depends wot ur best at.

ReputationRep:
    Stats is a lot nicer - but more boring lol.
    S4 is the easiest topic, there are only 5 chapters in the book and that is worth 20% of your entire A2 grade, P4 on the other hand is about 10 chapters long and is only worth 15% of the A2 grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Yes, ten years ago the Physics A-level was very mathematical - I know someone who learnt more maths in physics than in maths! Now, physics concentrates on principles and explanations. Pity.

J.
    Yep physics is a mthematical subject which cannot be done with out it, how can you study real things without calculus
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hornblower)

J.
    wow didn't realise they'd taken the maths out of physics...back in 97 we had more mech in physics than in maths...and they wouldn't let you do physics without maths at a level

ReputationRep:
    Do you do maths? There is no comparison. Business is harder hands down.
    I would be the other way round I would be crap at maths (I got a D in GCSE but that was well above average at my school, its closed down now).

I am doing some revision tonight called CDIR Notation and it involves quite a lot of maths as its working in both binary and decimal levels. I find it so hard because I stuggle with maths, I think I have finally got it now though.

I'm quite annoyed because its only now I am doing well on my degree I realised I could have probably got into a better university if I actually tried. I just lacked the confidence at the time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    wow didn't realise they'd taken the maths out of physics...back in 97 we had more mech in physics than in maths...and they wouldn't let you do physics without maths at a level
    People who are poor at maths still find it difficult to do physics, which showed in the AS because people who did AS maths did better than people who didn't.

There is still a bit of maths in A2, mostly logs and exponentials(sp?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    U moron, I hate people who go around saying that certain courses are terribly easy and easy to get an A. I dont do media but i dont think people can say whether its easy or not if they don't do the course.
    I know someone who is REALLY lazy and got an A for travel and tourism last year. He got Es in maths and physics and failed chemistry. If that isn't indication that some subjects are much easier than others than I don't know what is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I know someone who is REALLY lazy and got an A for travel and tourism last year. He got Es in maths and physics and failed chemistry. If that isn't indication that some subjects are much easier than others than I don't know what is!
    The question is - why did he do Travel and Tourism in the first place if he was also doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry?!

J.

ReputationRep:
    Ok everyone!
    I am a first year AVCE Media student. It is quite an easy subject, when your not doing essay's, research, filming, multimedia, portfolio building.
    At the end of the day all that a university wants is someone who can work to a high standard(further education) someone who has proved they are capable of working hard and getting results. I got told it is all about training your mind to think at a higher level, and in a different mannor. Also once you have a degree no one really cares what it was for unless you are talking about a vocational course (nursing. etc) For example, my Aunty has a teaching degree, but she isn't a teacher, she gets paid alot of money and is one of the executives for Adidas. So it just goes to show that no one gives a fcuk about what degree you have, if you want a job so badly then you will get it.
    I believe that a positive way of thinking WILL get you Everywhere!!

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    media studies isn't a mickey mouse subject unless you're studing Disney films I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    someone, earlier in this post, said economics was a load of theory and not much maths. Why then, do decent universities (with the exception of york and nottingham) request at least an A2 in maths to continue it to degree level? And although york and nottingham don't specify it, they still have preference for maths.

And I agree with the physics thing...any maths involved seems to be child's play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jantwokay)
    I think that tells you more about Cambridge being an outdated and irrelevant institution than it tells you about Media Studies being an easy subject.

What can be more relevent than media studies? More people will be watching The Bill tonight than reading Plato.
    Cambridge is irrelevant? ...now that is an amusing comment... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I just wrote an A-grade media studies essay in my sleep.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    listen i have just sat a 2 year a level in media studies and it was not only very interesting BUT not easy at all. It was with the AQA board at my college and tomorrow i receive my results.. surely IF it was a mickey mouse subject or whatever whatever I wouldnt be worried about my results tomorrow nor would any one else because if it was soooo easy we would all have A's. Dont be stupid. I enjoyed media studies so much that i decided to take it in degree form so call it a mickey mouse subject but for some one like myself who wishes to one day hopefully havea carreer within the media.

Those of you who consider media a bit of a jokey subject need to go sit in a class and see if you can understand all that theory because I got a tenner bet you cant.

ps im not stupid I can spell and use punctuation but im in a rush

Thanks!
    leanne
    I can come up with convincing arguments to counter you, but I too am in a rush. So I'll just type incoherent nonsense.

dsfdsfsdfsdkjh;lgksdjghldfkgh;fl khjxcvbljnbfckjvvc;kbjcvkjbckvjb ckv

ReputationRep:
    Oohhh, we're going to start this argument all over again! What fun! :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.