The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
amazingtrade
People seem to not be able to get over this Media Studies thing, all it does is just show arrogance, I don't study Media Studies so how can I slag it off when I don't know what it involves?

Also you will find a lot of jobs in the media require media qualifications.

I never slagged it off, just tellin it how it is. Id say your last point is very generalised though, and probably more of the jobs wouldn't require a "media studies BA degree" or whatever but maybe the qualification more relating to a 2 week thing on interview skills or whatever.
Reply 401
If you're good at English you most likely won't struggle with Media Studies. Scientists, however, would.
goliath
look when u compare the likes of media studies and philosophy to the likes of chemistry and physics they are a bit of a joke...

i know a few people that do philosophy and media studies and they aknowledge that they are hard, but they cannot compare to maths/chemistry/physics, as they do at least 1 of the sciences; they admit they are a joke when compared to the traditional A levels :biggrin:

when u do REAL subjects u can call these subjects a micky mouse subject :tongue:

and dont anyone say that the likes of media studies can be as hard as the sciences coz u know thats just not true.

So you're saying that the humanities are 'mickey mouse' subjects?
Let me guess, anything beyond the realms of your own expertise is a 'mickey mouse' subject, right? (Moan - why does 'Mickey Mouse get all the publicity - where are all the Donald Duck subjects?)

OK, whatever.....
Reply 403
sm0273
I never slagged it off, just tellin it how it is. Id say your last point is very generalised though, and probably more of the jobs wouldn't require a "media studies BA degree" or whatever but maybe the qualification more relating to a 2 week thing on interview skills or whatever.

But we can't all study science subjects and if people are interested in the subject why can't they study it? However I do amit some people may take media studies at the lesser universities just for sake of going to uni, but its these people who end up getting a 3rd.

Also quite a lot of respected universities offer it, just because Oxbridge and London dosn't.
Reply 404
Durham, Bristol (not sure), Edinburgh, St Andrews, Warwick.....
Reply 405
sm0273
Durham, Bristol (not sure), Edinburgh, St Andrews.....

And maybe its because those universities are not keeping up with the times and adding new more modern courses. Surely somthing like media studies is more relevent and say the History of Art?
sm0273
lol what a coincidence, Chocolate just -ve repped me for saying that, apparently it was unfair rude. When all I did was point my view forward, he/she is blatenlty weak(maybe that is rude but its the truth) the problem seems to be that people cant handle the truth, sad really. "unfair rude" for my 2 posts on this thread, LMFAO, get a grip.

Well you live with yourself for being weak and think that a -ve rep will make me change my viewpoint.

i never negative repped u at all
Reply 407
Oh I see, cause the TOP TEN Unis dont offer a non respected subject they are thus "not keeping up with the times" LMFAO
Reply 408
As I see it, there are two core reasons for trying to educate oneself to a higher level:

1) For the joy of learning; the academic pursuit of a greater level of understanding. Education for educations' sake is very valid.

2) To facilitate a certain career path, to provide one with skills required in a busy modern work place.

Media Studies doesn't seem to even attempt fufil either of these fundamental purposes. Therefore I brand it a "Mickey Mouse" subject, and a waste of time.

I am not going to refrain from saying these things simply because people study the "subject" - I am making valid criticism of what people dedicate their time to.

Guys, before anyone says it, doing Media Studies does not open the door to a career in the media! Sorry guys, ask anyone in the media. :wink:

(Not your Media Studies "teacher")
sm0273
Durham, Bristol (not sure), Edinburgh, St Andrews, Warwick.....

Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Warwick don't offer Media at undergraduate level.
Reply 410
How many of the people who are slagging off media studies have studied it and know what it involves?

Does it make people big slagging of courses which lots of people study? I did a media studies type module last year which is video production, it wasn't easy and involved a lot of maths and physics.

And as one member said on here about Media Studies any idiot can probably get an E at A level Media Studies but to get an A it takes a lot of studying and in depth understanding.

The David Beckham studies thing is a myth created by the media itself. And for the people who say ask anybody in the media and they will say its worthless, who have you asked?

I am going to see if I can find some statistics to support my argument.
Baron Huntroyde
Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Warwick don't offer Media at undergraduate level.

Warwick offer film and tv studies, which to many people is just as bad as media studies.
Reply 412
- Read any article by anyone in the media discussing media studies; it will not be complimentary about it.

- Ask any decent, honest teacher in charge of careers etc. - they will tell you to do something more worthy.

- Read anything an admissions tutor from a decent university says about it; they will not be complimentary.
amazingtrade

The David Beckham studies thing is a myth created by the media itself.

What do you mean?
mobbdeeprob
What do you mean?

I think what he means is that there is no actual degree in David Beckham Studies or anything like that, although I think some newspapers in the past have said that there is.
Frances
I think what he means is that there is no actual degree in David Beckham Studies or anything like that, although I think some newspapers in the past have said that there is.

Well, I just have a problem with the comment because in my belief it is not a total myth. The Sports Culture degree in question at Staffordshire University does actually place a lot of emphasis on Beckham as a centrally important figure. Therefore the title 'David Beckham studies' is not wholly mythical, according to the words of the programme creator and director.
Reply 416
Frances

Yep I am saying that the Media are responsable for giving media a bad image. I really can't see the different between somthing like the History of Arts which is respected and Media Studies. The only difference is the age. Also TV production is one of the hardest courses to get onto.

At the end of the day university is not just about the paper you get at the end of it, I would much rather employ a media studies graduate than a stuck up sciences one.
Reply 417
Baron Huntroyde

Thats my point, that more respected Unis other than Oxford also DONT offer mickey mouse studies...
amazingtrade
Yep I am saying that the Media are responsable for giving media a bad image. I really can't see the different between somthing like the History of Arts which is respected and Media Studies. The only difference is the age. Also TV production is one of the hardest courses to get onto.

At the end of the day university is not just about the paper you get at the end of it, I would much rather employ a media studies graduate than a stuck up sciences one.

Your final comments negate the usefulness of the fairly reasonable argument that you put forward initially.

To label science graduates as 'stuck up' is just as generalising and derogatory as affixing the tag of 'lazy, good-for-nothings doing toytown degrees who play on computers all day and watch films' on media graduates.
Reply 419
mobbdeeprob
Your final comments negate the usefulness of the fairly reasonable argument that you put forward initially.

To label science graduates as 'stuck up' is just as generalising and derogatory as affixing the tag of 'lazy, good-for-nothings doing toytown degrees who play on computers all day and watch films' on media graduates.

Yes and thats all this thread is one big stupid generalisation, I am a science undergrade myself. But I just can't see why Media Studies is any different to subjects like History of Art.

Latest

Trending

Trending