Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yes and thats all this thread is one big stupid generalisation, I am a science undergrade myself. But I just can't see why Media Studies is any different to subjects like History of Art.
    I was listening to a Radio Four debate on this yesterday, and a fairly well-educated guy was running down Media Studies. His argument was based largely on the fact that Media Studies is a relatively recent invention and it seems to draw largely on modern influences. He then went on to compare the study of Shakespeare in Literature, to the study of Coronation Street in Media Studies - insinuating that Literature was the more academically rigorous and nutritious discipline.

I think that above all, this shows the contempt that certain 'more traditional' academics have for upstarts like Media Studies. In my opinion, it was a rather skewed and inappropriate comparison to make between Shakespeare and Coronation Street because if the latter can be interpreted as 'trashy media' and the former 'elevated media', then surely the comparison is meaningless? It is a shame, because although I have no practical knowledge of media studies, I am sure that it can be a deeply immersive, intellectual and worthy area of study.

The problem may lie in the fact that some of the people taking Media Studies may see it in the terms that the Radio Four detractor does, and choose to do it because it is perceived as a 'bit of an easy ride' and is 'not too academically taxing'. I feel that this may give it a bad name, causing stronger candidates to avoid it like the plague (due to its attached stigma) and weaker candidates to take it up. That is not to say that Media Studies is purely the preserve of weaker candidates, but given a choice - wouldn't a weaker student with little interest in academic study opt for Media Studies over a subject like Maths, a science or English Literature?

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is a lot of truth in what you have said, but those who do media studies for an easy ride seem to fail it. Thats why the pass rate for Media Studies at A level is lower that off maths.

I agree people should never take media studies for the sake of it and only study it if they are serious but that applies to any subject at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    cool people do media. end of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    cool people do media. end of
    Agreed.

Especially people doing the OCR syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Agreed.

Especially people doing the OCR syllabus.
    i couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    I took Media studies at GCSE (I don't know why) and i have regretted it ever since. Thankfully I have seen the light.

When I went to the GCSE open night at my old school it was just treated as every other subject, but it seemed to be a bit more fun. So stupidly I took it. I really wish I hadn't. If you are good at English, which i consider myself to be a reasonably good candidate in, then you really will have no problems with this course. In fact a lot of what we studied was just blindingly obvious to anyone with common sense. I know that sounds harsh but you really cannot compare media studies to english lit, history, geography or other humanties subjects in terms of worth. I thought that there might be some sort of indepth, in terms of GCSEs anyway, study of the way certain groups are portrayed in the media, how much the media influences are lives and so on, but there wasn't. I had to do that of my own accord, but it should have been central to the course.

Something that people who don't study Media seem to think is that everyone who takes it gets an A grade but they don't. Most in my school got between a B and an F. I got an A because as I said I found it to be ludicrously easy, so I didn't revise or study throughout the two years.

What really annoys me is that people seem to think that because they have studied Media they are going to get a job in the media. The figures show for themselves that Media studies degrees have the highest rate of unemployment after graduation than any other. I have a manager at work who entered the company, a well known fast food hell hole, as a graduate employee who thinks that because he has a degree in media sciences (SCIENCES!) he has the right to be incredibly patronising to those of us still studying and that he has made a success of himself.

Media studies students are trying too hard to dispel its image of being a mickey mouse subject, but it isn't working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yes there is a lot of truth in what you have said, but those who do media studies for an easy ride seem to fail it. Thats why the pass rate for Media Studies at A level is lower that off maths.

I agree people should never take media studies for the sake of it and only study it if they are serious but that applies to any subject at degree level.
    Of course, I know for a fact that statistically, Media Studies has one of the lowest pass rates of any A-level subject and that to get an A, on the face of it, is quite difficult. So long as perceptions remain as they are though, Media Studies will continue to have the reputation of a 'mickey mouse' subject. Afterall, very few of the elite universities offer a straight Media Studies course and so long as it remains stigmatised, the best candidates will avoid it. This will have the consequence of relatively low grade tariffs when compared to the likes of English Literature and perpetuate the myth that it is a 'bit of a lark' amongst many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hythlodaeus*)
    What really anoys me is that people seem to think that because they have studied Media they are going to get a job in the media. The figures show for themselves that Media studies degrees have the highest rate of unemployment after graduation than any other. I have a manager at work who entered the company, a well known fast food hell hole, as a graduate employee who thinks that because he has a degree in media sciences (SCIENCES!) he has the right to be incredibly patronising to those of us still studying and that he has made a success of himself.

Media studies students are trying too hard to dispel its image of being a mickey mouse subject, but it isn't working.
    I agree with your comment relating to the misconceptions that many people have about Media studies degrees translating into a successful job in media.
    It could be contended and statistics have proven that if somebody desires a high-ranking job in media, an English degree from an elite university will stand them in much better stead than a Media studies degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I was listening to a Radio Four debate on this yesterday, and a fairly well-educated guy was running down Media Studies. His argument was based largely on the fact that Media Studies is a relatively recent invention and it seems to draw largely on modern influences. He then went on to compare the study of Shakespeare in Literature, to the study of Coronation Street in Media Studies - insinuating that Literature was the more academically rigorous and nutritious discipline.

I think that above all, this shows the contempt that certain 'more traditional' academics have for upstarts like Media Studies. In my opinion, it was a rather skewed and inappropriate comparison to make between Shakespeare and Coronation Street because if the latter can be interpreted as 'trashy media' and the former 'elevated media', then surely the comparison is meaningless? It is a shame, because although I have no practical knowledge of media studies, I am sure that it can be a deeply immersive, intellectual and worthy area of study.
    (snipped)
    Shakespeare himself was regarded as something of an 'upstart' in his day - did anyone mention that?

I guess not.

ReputationRep:
    who cares? i'm doing a media degree coz i wanna go to uni to have fun, and i still have a degree at the end of it. what's the point in doing something i would hate like english just because a load of snotty people (who i wouldn;t wish to work with anyway) think it's better. i don't expect to get a job in the industry either, i know i would have to start from the bottom and work my way up, but producers have told me that it is an advantage if you have a degree in media, as you have a headstart on those who have a dgree in something like english.

ReputationRep:
    who cares? i'm doing a media degree coz i wanna go to uni to have fun, and i still have a degree at the end of it. what's the point in doing something i would hate like english just because a load of snotty people (who i wouldn;t wish to work with anyway) think it's better. i don't expect to get a job in the industry either, i know i would have to start from the bottom and work my way up, but producers have told me that it is an advantage if you have a degree in media, as you have a headstart on those who have a dgree in something like english.
    what kind of job do u want to get after u finish ur degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, then you could do a postgrad course at the Columbia University's Pulitzer School of Journalism.

Sometimes I think this country is pickled in aspic!

ReputationRep:
    I have taken Media Studies and people who regard it as a "doss" subject usually get low grades in it.
    If it was a worthless subject then i don't think Secondary schools would bother having it as a Aevel option and most certainly not a Grammar school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    what kind of job do u want to get after u finish ur degree?
    no idea. i'll probably be sick of media by then (i get bored of things very quickly). if i'm not bored of it then i wanna be a tv producer, or photographer (not a journalist one though)

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but the day that the highest ranks of the BBC, Channel Four (most other broadcasters), this country's leading broadsheets, the leading advertising houses, Civil Servants linked to the political media machine etc etc - are selected from Media studies graduates rather than Oxbridge English graduates is a long way off, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    No offence, but the day that the highest ranks of the BBC, Channel Four (most other broadcasters), this country's leading broadsheets, the leading advertising houses, Civil Servants linked to the political media machine etc etc - are selected from Media studies graduates rather than Oxbridge English graduates is a long way off, in my opinion.
    none taken it's a shame oxbridge do such boring subjects, otherwise i may have applied

ReputationRep:
    OK -mb- I think I will excuse you for your stupidity because clearly you an ignorant person. Actually, contrary to popular belief you do learn skills and develop ideas and understanding in media studies [such as camera angles, sound, editing and film creation] as long as the college or Uni you go to does a good course then you will enjoy it and you will gain knowledge. Media isn't a Mickey Mouse subject [even though I hate that term] and I wish people would stop ignorantly refering to it as such [Especially if you have never studied it!!] As for career aspects I think that if a subject improves your knowledge and understanding then that's fantastic, if you want to learn about how to get along in a working environment then go get a JOB!! :cool:

What so your saying that doing subjects like maths and philosophy help your career prospects [YEAH IF YOU WANT TO BE A TEACHER] GET OVER YOURSELf.

ReputationRep:
    what i've heard from friends who do media say its just like english except u watch films instead of reading books. is this kind of what its like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    As I see it, there are two core reasons for trying to educate oneself to a higher level:

1) For the joy of learning; the academic pursuit of a greater level of understanding. Education for educations' sake is very valid.

2) To facilitate a certain career path, to provide one with skills required in a busy modern work place.

Media Studies doesn't seem to even attempt fufil either of these fundamental purposes. Therefore I brand it a "Mickey Mouse" subject, and a waste of time.

I am not going to refrain from saying these things simply because people study the "subject" - I am making valid criticism of what people dedicate their time to.

Guys, before anyone says it, doing Media Studies does not open the door to a career in the media! Sorry guys, ask anyone in the media.

(Not your Media Studies "teacher")
    You know we are at the thin end of the wedge when I quote myself. :rolleyes:

I would just like a media studies advocate to respond to my earlier comments which got buried, and in doing so to explain why my taxes should fund this nonsense. I certainly don't believe they should; they should be funding those with the commitment and ability to study an appropriate subject for their level of study in appropriate depth!

If 50% attaining degrees means scraping the bottom of the barrel by offering "degrees" in "Media Studies", then I am appalled by the consequences of this absurd target, which I was hardly enamoured with before...

ReputationRep:
    no idea. i'll probably be sick of media by then (i get bored of things very quickly). if i'm not bored of it then i wanna be a tv producer, or photographer (not a journalist one though)
    I get bored really easily too. I'm always changing my mind, at the moment i'm thinking about doing law, but this time next year I might want to be an archaeologist or something, lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.