Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    As soon as I mention I did Media Studies at A Level people just go "oh".
    the exact same thing happens to me when i say i do art textiles drama and photography, i have no chance do i really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n7studios)
    Media Studies *is* a micky mouse course.

Why? Because so many people study media / media studies at A level + degree level, and expect to walk into a media-based trendy job. I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

I never did media, and I'm studying a Law degree at Birmingham University. Oh, and I'm in the media industry too. I'm a radio presenter, albeit as a cover presenter for shows that need filling on my local commercial station at home, and I'm a web designer.

So, as well as it being a micky mouse course, it's also a pointless course.

Tim.
    Most people doing law think they'll walk into a MC firm - so by your logic, that's a Mickey Mouse subject too.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's only because it's relatively new. My mum did a French degree in the 60s when it was a relatively new subject and not well respected, so there was a lot of prejudice towards them, but now languages are much more well respected. It'll change with time.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    :eek: You mean you got into Oxbridge with a mickey mouse subject :eek:

I refuse to believe it - your evidence goes against my preconceptions and therefore must be wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    well, Shakespeare, Einstein, John Donne were all seen as clever guys. They didn't all take science, anyway just because you take science doen't necessarily mean that you are clever.
    u can probably only do science...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    the exact same thing happens to me when i say i do, art textiles drama and photography, i have no chance do i really
    So what? I don't know why you care what other people think, i certainly don't. People that complain all day about how better they are than else everyone are pretty sad people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    That'll probably be the exception to the rule. You always get people like that, and it'll probably be him being an arse rather than him doing Physics. I expect he'd say it if he did any allegedly "superior" subject. We're not all like that, honest
    To be fair, media isn't the only subject that he's taken the piss out of. It was probably the only reason he could think of for me getting higher as grades than him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    :eek: You mean you got into Oxbridge with a mickey mouse subject :eek:

I refuse to believe it - your evidence goes against my preconceptions and therefore must be wrong
    It was my fourth A Level But when I say that I get people saying "OH, I did four PROPER subejcts" so now I don't bother. It was really fun and (sorry people) really easy.

I also got into Oxbridge with a C. Hehe. I think people just don't like it when we talk about A Levels and they got all As in "hard" subjects and I got a C and did Media Studies. Mwahahahha.

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when people make out by doing certain "doss" subjects you wont ever get anywhere in life.
    If you are a lazy bum who just happens to be doing a "doss" subject then no you probably wont get anywhere but if u are a passionate student who wants to make something of your life why should a science degree get you any further than a media one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    So what? I don't know why you care what other people think, i certainly don't. People that complain all day about how better they are than else everyone are pretty sad people...
    i just put it down to lack of understanding...

ReputationRep:
    It was my fourth A Level But when I say that I get people saying "OH, I did four PROPER subejcts" so now I don't bother. It was really fun and (sorry people) really easy.

I also got into Oxbridge with a C. Hehe. I think people just don't like it when we talk about A Levels and they got all As in "hard" subjects and I got a C and did Media Studies. Mwahahahha.
    What was the C in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    the exact same thing happens to me when i say i do art textiles drama and photography, i have no chance do i really
    Ugh, I have history, media and film. I actually get better marks in history and am going to do a politics degree, but nope, I take media, therefore I must be thick. :rolleyes:

I was looking at some of the A Level art and textiles work on display today, and I was in awe. I'm really jealous of people with that kind of talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    To be fair, media isn't the only subject that he's taken the piss out of. It was probably the only reason he could think of for me getting higher as grades than him.
    Someone was talking about how Geography was a micky mouse subject once. That just goes to show people who are capable of making intellectual comments are also capable of talking out their arse....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    What was the C in?
    French (2% off a B!)

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I have history, media and film. I actually get better marks in history and am going to do a politics degree, but nope, I take media, therefore I must be thick. :rolleyes:
    Same here! I am much better at History than i am at media studies, i must be really thick then too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    French (2% off a B!)
    Well that's understandable, French is bloody hard. *Nobody* in our group likes the subject, and the one person who was going to study it at uni changed her application to Maths because she grew to loathe it so much.

ReputationRep:
    French (2% off a B!)
    whoa well done! i got an A* GCSE and a D AS level (wot the hell happened to me!) im soooo gna fail A level!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Smartypants

ReputationRep:

I was looking at some of the A Level art and textiles work on display today, and I was in awe. I'm really jealous of people with that kind of talent.
    me too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    listen i have just sat a 2 year a level in media studies and it was not only very interesting BUT not easy at all. It was with the AQA board at my college and tomorrow i receive my results.. surely IF it was a mickey mouse subject or whatever whatever I wouldnt be worried about my results tomorrow nor would any one else because if it was soooo easy we would all have A's. Dont be stupid. I enjoyed media studies so much that i decided to take it in degree form so call it a mickey mouse subject but for some one like myself who wishes to one day hopefully havea carreer within the media.

Those of you who consider media a bit of a jokey subject need to go sit in a class and see if you can understand all that theory because I got a tenner bet you cant.

ps im not stupid I can spell and use punctuation but im in a rush

Thanks!
    leanne
    If it is so hard and worthwhile why do all the good universites state "Media studies is not counted as an A-level" or "Media studies is not accepted."

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.