media studies IS NOT A MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danielle_89
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hiya Lucy!
By the way, what were your SAT results?
My school has a sixth form but I don't want to go to it, and although there are a lot in my area, I'll probably travel quite far (well, a bus and about 8 tube stops) to one that has a 'good' reputation. Are you sure there aren't any near you? Even if there aren't, if you really want to do A levels, it's worth travelling in my opinion. Also, you said you're doing AS level History in Year 11, so why does your school let you do AS and not A level? So you're sure you don't want to finish it and get the whole A level?
You did say you don't want to go to college, so there's no point if you don't want to be there, but basically you do about 5 A levels in college and then get a degree in Uni, but you need different A levels and grades for different Unis and courses. You can do a degree in Media at some Unis, but not Oxbridge, for example.
You said you like Drama, so if you want to be a TV presenter maybe this would be a good thing? I don't know too much about presenting, though, so maybe get advice from someone with more knowledge than me!
If you like the sound of accountancy, and want to work in the Media, perhaps you could incorporate the two by being an accountant for a media company, celebrity etc.?
By the way Sociology is the study of society, e.g. all the different types of people. At the moment we're studying the family. I don't think it's considered particularly 'Mickey Mouse', but maybe more than, say, Science.
I think what you need to do is decide what career you want to pursue, then find out what you need to do to help you succeed. Good luck!
Danielle xxx
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy4Happiness)
To Kellywood 5,
I don't wnat to be involved in journalism really the part of media I am interested in is the actual Tv presenting and hosting. I know that this is a very hard and competetive career to get into so I am prepared to start at the very very bottom and work my way up as high as I can! However I don't fancy the idea of further schooling such as college and A-levels! But I do like the idea of saying I have a degree. I realise that as people get older their GCSE's seem less and less importantant and when Im 30 if GCSE's are the highest qualifications I have I know this isn't considered very good at all. This is a reason why I want a degree but what can you take degree's in which are invlolved in teh media or things which would be useful - like, for instance, you mentioned English? How many A-levels do you ahve to have to be able to study for a degree? I am doing an AS level when Im meant to be doing my GCSE so that will give me an advantage but Ill still have to do another year on that subject (which, by the way, is History) as well as two years in two other subjetcs - but what subjects can you take? I'm not confused exactly but rather...erm I can't think of a word for it. What Im trying to say is O don't know what Im emant to do to gfet the qualifications, like where do you go for A-levels and degree's, Im not in the 'know'. Thanx for all your help so far please continue with it lol.
Unfortunately you can't say you have a degree without further schooling and A levels! Especially as it's such a competitve industry, your application will be pushed right to the bottom/chucked out if you don't have a degree, as well as relevant work experience. Sounds harsh, but true when you think of all the applicants they have to choose between. If you want to suceed, you'll need to give yourself every possible advantage.

You need at least 3 A levels to get onto a degree course, and unis like you to have an extra AS level as well, which you already have covered even if you don't carry on with history to A2. You do A levels in either a school sixth form, a sixth form college or a further education college depending on the environment you'd prefer to work in and how far you're preapred to travel. If you're in Year 11, you need to start checking out different places by getting prospectuses and going to open evenings. You'll choose 4 subjects, and I think any would be okay. You don't necessarily need media/film studies, but I'd suggest some form of English (language, literature or combined). If you don't want to study it at degree level, itwould probably help to have an A level in it.

You study degrees at a university or sometimes a higher education college. You'll need to do some research about where you want to go and what you want to study during your AS year by ordering prospectuses, looking on the Internet and going to higher education fairs and open days, which your school or college may arrange for you. You can apply for up to 6 courses. There are so many degrees on offer, I'm sure you'd be able to find one that suited you- media studies, film studies, production etc. The grades you'd need will depend on where you apply- for some places you could probably have CCC/CCD, but for higher ranked ones you'd need AAB/ABB, and then obviously there are some in between ones where you'd need BBB/BBC etc.
Lucy4Happiness
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank You both a lot! You ahve both given me gud advice!
The thing is Danielle Im not too interested in drama, its ok I enjoy it but its not sumfin really interesting unless you're actually acting. Some written work is obviously essential but I don't think I'd like to do A-level or degree level drama.
My school lets us do an As level in year 11 because sum ppl r considered to be ''Gifted and Talented'' its only for about 3 subjects and theres no more than 15 people in each one. My year was the first to do this and the year below me hasnt done it (of what I know of).
please writebk soryr im not tlakin ,much ive g2g now
random!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yet another post about mickey mouse subjects. Why do people spend their lives criticising the choices of others? P.S. sorry if this is long, but I fancy a rant!
I have taken media studies from GCSE to A-level and now im doing a degree in journalism. Ive read some of the posts from this thread and got the general idea.My opinion is that you should balance what you enjoy with what you know will get you the job you want(if you have a career in mind).
There may be alot of people doing media related courses, but could one suggested reason for this be that they actually enjoy the subject? Why are people not allowed to study what they enjoy doing? Some people will say the courses are easy, but how can you possibly know what another person finds easy or hard.You can say "I would find that easy," fair enough, but that does not really serve any purpose. I feel sad when I see the derision some people have for the courses people take or the results people get. Each person is different and just because they don't come up to your standards does not mean you can laugh at them for their choices. I had to work really hard to get the grades I did, telling me you would find that easy surves no purpose, you are not me.
The points made about people doing media degrees not getting related jobs simply are not true. I suppose I can only speak for the journalism industry as I have not experienced other media environments. The fact is that people who graduate from my degree in journalism get jobs in journalism. The amount of people that come for open days, alumni statistics etc. shows you this. Some are high profile journalists too. It's true that you don't have to take a media related degree to get into the media, and it's probably also true that some media jobs will be easier to get into with a degree from Oxbridge and other traditional universities. If you can get the grades and know that will get you your desired job then obviously you'd be mad not to go. Why assume though that everyone has the chance to go there, or the qualifications to get in? You should just enjoy what your doing, what does it matter what anyone else is doing or is capable of? Does it make you feel better? Why do these threads always decend into a tit for tat 'my course/university is better/more respected that yours' debate? What does it matter? Just do your research and make sure you know you can get to where you want to go, and let everyone else worry about where they want to go.
piggypiggy
Report 14 years ago
Look, here is the proof how hard it is, and then we can close this thread.

THE PROOF: Prince Harry is not very bright. We know that. To get any kind of result at his posh private school, he would have needed to do the easiest A Levels going. He did NOT, however, choose Media Studies. Therefore Media Studies must be harder than at least two other A Levels.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piggypiggy)

THE PROOF: Prince Harry is not very bright. We know that. To get any kind of result at his posh private school, he would have needed to do the easiest A Levels going. He did NOT, however, choose Media Studies. Therefore Media Studies must be harder than at least two other A Levels.
I do agree with you about Media but that is such a poor arguement that it is impossible to backup.
FrisbeeFan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
I do agree with you about Media but that is such a poor arguement that it is impossible to backup.
I think he was joking - surely?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piggypiggy)

I doubt Eton offers Media Studies.
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To be honest I dont have a problem with media studies being offered as an Alevel, or the people that take it. I think that it has its place and that so long as people take with 3 or 4 other more traditional subjects they shouldnt be viewed as taking an easy option.
LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow, will this thread ever end,
:tsr:
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CharleeB)
To be honest I dont have a problem with media studies being offered as an Alevel, or the people that take it. I think that it has its place and that so long as people take with 3 or 4 other more traditional subjects they shouldnt be viewed as taking an easy option.
I agree. I do think that people should be warned before taking the subject though. The subject has a bad reputation (not that I think it's an unworthy subject), and isn't going to be (generally) a subject viewed highly by employers.

Media studies wouldn't be so controversial if it had been taught in primary and secondary schools, because it would possibly "up there" with Geography and History in terms of respectability. Arguably, media is all around us, and what's funny is it's the media that circulates a bad reputation of media studies.

Who says a subject which is fun, isn't really a proper subject? Of course, because it's fun it will attract those who got bored in maths or found it difficult, but as I mentioned earlier, why isn't it as valid subject as Geography etc.? I do think it's fair to say, that maths, chemistry, physics etc. are probably harder, but is this because they require more of a "natural ability" to start with?
kcpoopoo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
By the way- from reading posts on this forum I was so upset about my decision to study A-level Media Studies that I almost chose not to apply for university because I thought I wouldn't get accepted!
As somebody with a full A level in Media- grade A- I feel I have the right to comment on the subject. Media can be a doss subject. There were people in my class who sat with their mouths agape, scratching their balls, etc. It could be said they didn't give a f**k and weren't all that bright.
However, although these doss type people got away with minimal effort and regurgitating painfully easy theories (e.g.: Why do young fellas watch Hollyoaks? Because there are attractive females in it!) (May I add- In my opinion there are NO attractive women in Hollyoaks!)
On the other hand, I studied the representation of the 'femme fatale' in neo-noir film from a feminist viewpoint. Ok, ok- it wasn't rocket science. But it was just as challenging as the English Literature synoptic paper on War Literature (I also gained grade A in English literature). The films I studied (six including Lynch's Mulholland Drive and Stone's U-Turn) were deeply involving, full of intertextual links to myths and such (eg. Pandora's Box) and I delved so deep that I could have probably written a dissertation on the subject!
So I suppose what I'm trying to say is- if you want to bum around for a couple of years, put in minimal effort and get a decent grade-although not worthwhile- then do it with Media Studies. But if you are genuinely interested in film, journalism etc then perhaps you can take media studies as a means to studying these mediums. That's if, of course, you don't mind being ridiculed and made to feel like an imbecile for even considering to take such a disrespected subject. :rolleyes:
abatage
Report 14 years ago
I agree with Leanne... I am taking Media Studies, Maths and Business Studies and I believe Media to be harder then the others in a different way. In Media there is no wrong or right answer which confuses most people. 10 people dropped after year 12 and that shows something.. they weren't lazy people either!
SarahShaz
Report 14 years ago
I think I've got the right mix of subjects - English, ICT, Philosophy and erm, Media. lol.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I always think of it like this:

The other day, my friend from uni was saying how my course was a lot harder (Bsc Human Biology) than her course (BA History). I said well, all I know is that if I was forced to study History, I would fail miserably and so I consider her course to be a lot harder. I am simply not interested in History and am not the right kind of person to be able to do well in it.

The point is that no one subject can be classed as being 'Mickey Mouse'. It is only easy if you are good at it. I suspect that 99% of the people that have ****ged off Media Studies would fail it if they were forced to study it.

If your interested in it then go for it! Forget what other people think. Close-mindedness is, in my opinion, an indicator of exceptionally low intelligence.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I always think of it like this:

The other day, my friend from uni was saying how my course was a lot harder (Bsc Human Biology) than her course (BA History). I said well, all I know is that if I was forced to study History, I would fail miserably and so I consider her course to be a lot harder. I am simply not interested in History and am not the right kind of person to be able to do well in it.

The point is that no one subject can be classed as being 'Mickey Mouse'. It is only easy if you are good at it. I suspect that 99% of the people that have ****ged off Media Studies would fail it if they were forced to study it.

If your interested in it then go for it! Forget what other people think. Close-mindedness is, in my opinion, an indicator of exceptionally low intelligence.
Finally someone with commonsense!
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Finally someone with commonsense!
innit. theres plenty of people with a level headed view like that on here, but it's just the few odd ones that make stuff like this a major issue, when it isn't. i agree completely with NikNak's last bit-of-post
supreme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why is this thread still going?

It should be deleted or closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I suspect that 99% of the people that have ****ged off Media Studies would fail it if they were forced to study it.
As someone who got A's in both English Language and Politics (doing them in a single year whilst working full time) I think that I would be fine with it. In fact I may even take the A-level just for a bit of fun to see how difficult it is.

As I have two "traditional" A-level subjects with good grades already I suppose that taking it would not do me any harm. If I were in a situation where I needed another A-level (which I am not) I would not consider doing it as I believe that for whatever reason it lacks credibility amongst employers.

As for university I feel that people doing more traditional subjects with a view to getting an "all round degree" will always have an advantage over people doing Media Studies / Managment et al. If this is right or wrong is another topic for another debate.

Some people may be interested to know that Law has only been "accepted" in English universities for the last 100 years. Prior to this it was viewed as a more vocational discipline (in England) despite the fact that it has been studied all over the world as far back as Roman times.
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I agree. I do think that people should be warned before taking the subject though. The subject has a bad reputation (not that I think it's an unworthy subject), and isn't going to be (generally) a subject viewed highly by employers.

Media studies wouldn't be so controversial if it had been taught in primary and secondary schools, because it would possibly "up there" with Geography and History in terms of respectability. Arguably, media is all around us, and what's funny is it's the media that circulates a bad reputation of media studies.

Who says a subject which is fun, isn't really a proper subject? Of course, because it's fun it will attract those who got bored in maths or found it difficult, but as I mentioned earlier, why isn't it as valid subject as Geography etc.? I do think it's fair to say, that maths, chemistry, physics etc. are probably harder, but is this because they require more of a "natural ability" to start with?
Whatever floats your boat.
The media has a profound influence upon our lives and thus is worthy of serious study. English Literature wasn't considered to be a subject worthy of serious study until the late 19th C.

However, from a pratical perspective, if you intend to study it at uni I would suggest that you do it as a combined honours degree (along with a more 'traditional' subject such as English Lit. The same applies imho to A'Level choices).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%