Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferPowers)
    It is taught in secondary schools. I did media GCSE and got a grade A which is what made me want to take it at A level, because it was something I was good at and enjoyed. I was never told it was a mickey mouse subject, in fact, the practical skills you learn are regarded highly with employers, but aren't regarded highly with top universities which is where I regret taking the subject. I was told before GCSE that it would be a good subject to take to improve your english skills at GCSE. I dunno if that was true.

EDIT: All this crap about it being a 'mickey mouse' subject is just stuck up! Why look down your noses at people who do a subject you've never tried? I personally found it harder than English and other 'proper' subjects, but it was just more enjoyable. In our second year of A level we covered some pretty political subjects, we tackled the idea of representation in the media. It wasn't all about analysing pretty pictures.

I just hate people on this site that are so elitest and try to make others feel small or stupid. Pfft.
    You thick chav!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferPowers)
    It is taught in secondary schools. I did media GCSE and got a grade A which is what made me want to take it at A level, because it was something I was good at and enjoyed. I was never told it was a mickey mouse subject, in fact, the practical skills you learn are regarded highly with employers, but aren't regarded highly with top universities which is where I regret taking the subject. I was told before GCSE that it would be a good subject to take to improve your english skills at GCSE. I dunno if that was true.

EDIT: All this crap about it being a 'mickey mouse' subject is just stuck up! Why look down your noses at people who do a subject you've never tried? I personally found it harder than English and other 'proper' subjects, but it was just more enjoyable. In our second year of A level we covered some pretty political subjects, we tackled the idea of representation in the media. It wasn't all about analysing pretty pictures.

I just hate people on this site that are so elitest and try to make others feel small or stupid. Pfft.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtyboy02)
    You thick chav!
    How delightfully eloquent. Thank you for your contribution.

Now go eviscerate yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies is hardly the most intellectually rigorous subject available.... the fact that the top universities completely disregard it is particularly telling. If it did instill any useful or transferable skills of note surely the top universities seeking the most able, brightest and best students would value it as an A Level subject? In fact, Oxbridge have at times explicitly stated that applicants should avoid such subjects for they lack the intellectual rigour and difficulty essential to undertake the demanding degrees offered at these two universities. Perhaps not Mickey Mouse but it can hardly be justified in the same sentence as such subjects as Maths or History, for an A in Media Studies does not demand the same amount of academic excellence, intelligence or ability as traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wahey12345)
    In fact, Oxbridge have at times explicitly stated that applicants should avoid such subjects for they lack the intellectual rigour and difficulty essential to undertake the demanding degrees offered at these two universities.
    Even Media Studies students know that one should always provide evidence when trying to make a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wahey12345)
    Media Studies is hardly the most intellectually rigorous subject available.... the fact that the top universities completely disregard it is particularly telling. If it did instill any useful or transferable skills of note surely the top universities seeking the most able, brightest and best students would value it as an A Level subject? In fact, Oxbridge have at times explicitly stated that applicants should avoid such subjects for they lack the intellectual rigour and difficulty essential to undertake the demanding degrees offered at these two universities. Perhaps not Mickey Mouse but it can hardly be justified in the same sentence as such subjects as Maths or History, for an A in Media Studies does not demand the same amount of academic excellence, intelligence or ability as traditional subjects.
    If my memory serves me correctly, a popular memer of this very forum obtained a place at Cambridge with media studies as one of her a'levels. (However, that may have been a fourth a'level). As I said, look at the history
    of English Literature in academia. We are a country that revels in being 'pickled in aspic' and we seem to delight in taking a f**k of a long time to catch up with the rest of the planet. (mini rant there)

Maybe it's a Toad of Toad Hall Subject or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    If my memory serves me correctly, a popular memer of this very forum obtained a place at Cambridge with media studies as one of her a'levels. (However, that may have been a fourth a'level). As I said, look at the history
    of English Literature in academia. We are a country that revels in being 'pickled in aspic' and we seem to delight in taking a f**k of a long time to catch up with the rest of the planet. (mini rant there)

Maybe it's a Toad of Toad Hall Subject or something!
    I applied to do Law at Leeds (amongst other places) and when I spoke to the admissions tutor she was very concerned to ensure I was taking "academic" A-level subjects since I was only doing 2 A-levels (albeit in a year). Whilst she didn't say what they were she indicated that there were a range of A-levels that were perceived to be of less value.

ReputationRep:
    My dad works in TV (editing and directing) and he says whenever he has someone come do work experience from a media studies course they never ever know what they are doing.
    He gets really annoyed by this.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.