The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
vienna95
1)jobs such as?

2)no, a modest job that requires a significant amount of training only available through the relevant degree course.

3)i do know the amount, its pitiful.

4)nice try. certainly the course rhetoric has won you over. youve convinced yourself, all you need to do now is try and convince the employers who couldnt give a toss.

OK, I've numbered your clever points so let me add my thoughts.

1)Well for starters a job within the civil service(foreign office) which I believe only require an exam. Alot of companies also provide fast track employment in which your position is gained through examinations. IF you actually looked at jobs within England you would know of the many thousands of degree non specific graduate vacancies that there are, but I'm guessing you haven't, no, in fact I'm guaranteeing you haven't since you sound so incredibly ignorant. How do english lit students get jobs? how do philosophy students get jobs? How many jobs are there specific to those subjects - a few. Yet there are so many different routes an english lit or history graduate could take. There is such a thing as training on the job, strange concept really eh? Companies employ you on your academic merit and an interview and then train you specifically for a role within their workforce.

2)I know many people who plan on taking an engineering degree who have no intention of entering engineering as a future career. To them that degree is merely an entry into a wealthy paid job in the city. I therefore wouldnt say it was a modest degree, but certainly there's no arguing it is highly skilled.

3)Your worst point of all. How is the theory behind something as complex as the moving image pitifiul - you have shown sheer idiocy in that statement and I don't even need to argue against it.

4)The icing on the cake. OH PLEASE GIVE ME CAREER ADVICE. You know what all future employers want - oh your head of human resources for every organisation in Britain, how brilliant. Oh and what is that between your hands, oh it's a crystal ball OOOOOH. WOW you can see that my future employers don't give a toss about the transferrable skills I will gain from my degree - I would suggest a career in the media for you too, I hear Mystic Meg's columns coming to an end soon, idiot.

By the way in your replies in this post you come across as a complete snob, remember social skills are also wanted by employers - Good luck :smile:
Yes it is.
sorry, but to the point of the thread, how is media studies not mickey mouse?

all that matters really is the point of views of universities, and i think thats pretty obvious.
Reply 83
Media Studies is like synchronised swimming. You have to be an athlete to do well in it, fully trained and pumping muscles. The fact that synchronised swimmers look ridiculous, have been booted out of the olympics for giving sport a bad name and is generally ridiculed is not relevant.

I wish I was doing Media Studies rather than Chemistry.

(or else I wish I was a synchronised swimmer).

Fredrick - the only thing stopping me being a dick is the r.
Reply 84
bono
sorry, but to the point of the thread, how is media studies not mickey mouse?

all that matters really is the point of views of universities, and i think thats pretty obvious.

depends on the course ypu apply for
Reply 85
I think the problem with Media Studies is too many people do it because they think its an easy A level. You will probably find that people that do A levels probably don't have has good GCSEs as those who are taking English or Physics.

Is this why the pass rate is probably lower than A level maths. The problem with media studies at degree level is there are too many people doing it so they find it very hard to stand out from the crowd.

I think media studies reputation as being micky mouse is partly justified but not entirely. I am sure most people doing media studies are perfectly clever .

I think a lot of media studies reputation is actually the media making it ten times worse. Quite ironic really.
Reply 86
Can Somebody PLEASE Define 'Mickey Mouse'
Reply 87
Tinykates
Can Somebody Plaese Define 'mickey Mouse'

I guess it means pointless, easy, for the sake of it, err that kind of thing.
Reply 88
amazingtrade
I guess it means pointless, easy, for the sake of it, err that kind of thing.

ok. one question - does anyone who is calling media studies 'mickey mouse' actually take it?
Reply 89
Tinykates
ok. one question - does anyone who is calling media studies 'mickey mouse' actually take it?

I'm not calling Media Studies mickey mouse and I don't take it.
i'd just like to state that i take both media and businesses studies at a level and enjoy them very much. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks because all that matters is that i enjoy each subject i take and have fun doing them. There's no point not taking a subject you enjoy just because universities don't respect it as much. None of the universities i have applied to have stated that they do not accept media studies within their offer (which i am glad about because i am predicted an A).
I don't mind peole discussing whether it is a micky mouse subject as everyone's entitled to an opinion, but you have to remember not all people are taking a subject just because it is perceived as really easy.
Reply 91
I haven't taken my GCSE's yet but I took media studies. For maths a "proper subject" I'm predicted and A* and for media I'm predicted a B (although that is based on a mock I didn't revise for)... Media isn't 'easy' for most people in my class either that or they dont' both doing anything as many get D's for their coursework. It is interesting but is mainly just common sense... I dunno, but it's like anything - what you put in you get out...
Reply 92
me!
I haven't taken my GCSE's yet but I took media studies. For maths a "proper subject" I'm predicted and A* and for media I'm predicted a B (although that is based on a mock I didn't revise for)... Media isn't 'easy' for most people in my class either that or they dont' both doing anything as many get D's for their coursework. It is interesting but is mainly just common sense... I dunno, but it's like anything - what you put in you get out...

Yeah its pretty much like Business Studies. I did it at AS and found it quite easy its a lot about common sence. If you lack common sense you will find business studies very hard though.
Reply 93
amazingtrade
Yeah its pretty much like Business Studies. I did it at AS and found it quite easy its a lot about common sence. If you lack common sense you will find business studies very hard though.

Yeh. I do have to admit though that for many of my courseworks I did it the night before and thought it was pretty bad, and ended up getting A's for them, all I wrote was just common sense stuff...
Reply 94
I did Media studies at GCSE and got an A*. I didn't find it that easy but it certatinly wasn't has hard as, for example, Chemsitry. I didn't continue it to A level for the simple reason that I didn't think what I would learn would of been any use to me in the future or any help in my application to universities.
However...if you think what you would learn from media studies will be of benefit for you then by all meas take it....especially if you enjoy it.
For me (and I'm sure A level media goes beyone this level, I am only quotting GCSE) although I found the effect of the use of different camera angles quite interesting I did not think it would me of any use to me whatsoever.
On the other hand Maths and English are teaching you life skills that you will be able to put to use in many different fields. Having said this I didn;t take English to A level either becuase I didn't really enjoy it. I took Psychology because I enjoy it and I think what I learn will be useful to me in the future (as I hope to become a psychologist and study psychology at uni). Some may say that this is mickey mouse. It has however even helped me with my Biology A level on some occasions.

So I say if you enjoy media studies and think you will really benefit from doing the A level the go for it. If you like it that much then you won't care what anyone else thinks about it.
Reply 95
There is a way for people to see how hard or easy media studies is. The link below is to the AQA site and lists all the past media studies exam papers, you can view each paper with adobe acrobat.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/med_assess.html

I think media studies is a bit easier because somebody who hasn't studied it before and just walked in from the street and did the exam could answer a few questions (but not pass it), but a person doing the something in a physics or maths exam probably would find it difficult to answer a single question.
Unregistered
listen i have just sat a 2 year a level in media studies and it was not only very interesting BUT not easy at all. It was with the AQA board at my college and tomorrow i receive my results.. surely IF it was a mickey mouse subject or whatever whatever I wouldnt be worried about my results tomorrow nor would any one else because if it was soooo easy we would all have A's. Dont be stupid. I enjoyed media studies so much that i decided to take it in degree form so call it a mickey mouse subject but for some one like myself who wishes to one day hopefully havea carreer within the media.

Those of you who consider media a bit of a jokey subject need to go sit in a class and see if you can understand all that theory because I got a tenner bet you cant.

ps im not stupid I can spell and use punctuation but im in a rush

Thanks!
leanne

Easy or not is besides the point. (tho it would be a piece of piss) It's a useless subject which in now way leaves you better equiped or qualified for life
J
Reply 97
-any media student should consider English at degree level, much more respected academically and you can branch out into journalism and broadcasting etc while during and after your degree

This is interesting, off the top of my head absolutely EVERYBODY I have ever known who has studied English has at the very least ended up with a 2:1 or above, and many have had a good time getting there too. I don't know why that is. Suppose it could be one of several reasons, perhaps Eng students are more passionate about what they study, as opposed to students of Econ/Law etc or that I only ever happen to bump into able Eng students (unlikely)...

Any Eng student's out there have any alternative suggestions?
Reply 98
face facts. some subjects (espescially at A level) are easier than others. Media studies is a soft option. I have had a look at sociology papers and the like, and all you need is to quote a couple of sociological principles and half a brain (so you can reason and argue).
Reply 99
It'sPhil...
Philosophy is possibly the oldest subject, very traditional. People think its all about pontificating about the meaning of life et but its very interesting. However, Business Studies is a poor man's Economics, and as a general rule anything with "... Studies" is mickey mouse or at least not very respected

Wow...I have recently thought the same thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending