media studies IS NOT A MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cretin
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lorri_b)
Most people will be picking up on things when watching films or reading magazines- you don't need to take an A level in media to tell you it!!
Most people don't understand how the media works and often take what they read in newspapers or see on television etc at face value.

The point of media studies is to provide critical skills and the ability to 'read between the lines' whilst gaining a deeper understanding of how the media works. It also develops communication, language and argumentative skills. These not only apply to the study of media but are useful in every area of academia.

By the way I don't even do media studies (I did it at GCSE though) but i'm sure any mron can see the usefulness of the a subject, especially considering that the media is such a hugely important social institution. If it is so pointless then why do schools/colleges/universities bother teaching it? Surely a waste of governmetn funding. The reason why is because it isn't.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cretin)
Most people don't understand how the media works and often take what they read in newspapers or see on television etc at face value.

The point of media studies is to provide critical skills and the ability to 'read between the lines' whilst gaining a deeper understanding of how the media works. It also develops communication, language and argumentative skills. These not only apply to the study of media but are useful in every area of academia.

By the way I don't even do media studies (I did it at GCSE though) but i'm sure any mron can see the usefulness of the a subject, especially considering that the media is such a hugely important social institution. If it is so pointless then why do schools/colleges/universities bother teaching it? Surely a waste of governmetn funding. The reason why is because it isn't.
I spoke to someone today who has enough experience and works in a credible enough position to make her comments valid. I asked her about this and she came up with the following:

Despite what some people say media studies is seen as a soft option, the sort of course that you do when you dont really know what you want to do.

Contrary to what you might think a degree in media studies is not very highly regarded by most of the industry. Try ringing up the BBC, Sky or the Telegraph and tell them that you are doing a degree in it with a view to employment and see what they say.

It is one of these new "fashionable" courses that are questionable to say the least.

These were her words, not mine. Slate me if you want but I really find it hard to believe that Media Studies is in the same class as Maths, English, Law, the Sciences, the Languages etc...

Anyone who honestly believes that a degree in Media Studies is going to elevate them to the top of the employment ladder has obviously believed the hype and course information. There may be the odd exception but I bet that most people on such a course are doing very little for their overall employment prospects.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I spoke to someone today who has enough experience and works in a credible enough position to make her comments valid. I asked her about this and she came up with the following:

Despite what some people say media studies is seen as a soft option, the sort of course that you do when you dont really know what you want to do.

Contrary to what you might think a degree in media studies is not very highly regarded by most of the industry. Try ringing up the BBC, Sky or the Telegraph and tell them that you are doing a degree in it with a view to employment and see what they say.

It is one of these new "fashionable" courses that are questionable to say the least.

These were her words, not mine. Slate me if you want but I really find it hard to believe that Media Studies is in the same class as Maths, English, Law, the Sciences, the Languages etc...

Anyone who honestly believes that a degree in Media Studies is going to elevate them to the top of the employment ladder has obviously believed the hype and course information. There may be the odd exception but I bet that most people on such a course are doing very little for their overall employment prospects.
I think a lot of that is true however it dosn't mean media studies is a waste of time for all or easy. Also what do you think of Mutlimedia?
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Multimedia - dont know, not really looked into it, are you refering to computer studies, web design and the like.

By the way I have just looked at that link to the AQA website and was amazed at some of the questions.

You were asked to watch an advert and then comment on it under several different catagories, wow!
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The thing is that people don't seem to get is that the people ****ging off media studies ie. the MEDIA are the ones that will be out of the job when all these new media studies graduates come to take over the BBC and make it fresh and new and so by ****ging off the courses they are decreasing the value of it and then saving their jobs.
I'm doing Journalism anyway and I've already been offered a job post graduation at either the Sun or the News of The World so it's all very well me arguing but what the hell do I care I've been offered a job and the most circulated newspaper in the country as a researcher guaranteed in 3 and a half years, with connections at Reuters, BBC and the Canadian Times (my uncle is the head of the photographic department and takes all the official photos for the Calgary Stampede) so....I don't really care anymore and stand by the fact I may have taken Media Studies as an A-Level and I feel it's improved my thinking rather than given me a respectable qualification and I'm sure that's better than being thick as custard and having a pretty piece of paper with a hologram on it to tell me that I've got a respectable degree.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Multimedia - dont know, not really looked into it, are you refering to computer studies, web design and the like.

By the way I have just looked at that link to the AQA website and was amazed at some of the questions.

You were asked to watch an advert and then comment on it under several different catagories, wow!
Yeah I mean producing websites with some server side elements in it (i.e databases etc), video clips etc.

That media studies question may be harder than it looks. For example you could say the advert has good, had a a good introduction that goes straight to the point, the camera position captured the point in question. However I think the answer would probably have refer to a lot of theories etc.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just looked at another media studies exam paper - one question asked for the candidate to describe the differences between tabloid and broadsheet press and the different manners that they present their news and address their readers?

I am sorry, but I am leaning towards the Disney characters on this one!!!

The other question is what do you do with this sort of degree when you have finished.

A few years back "Journalism" was the buzz subject and everyone was signing up to do it with intentions of being a journalist. Unsurprisingly these courses did little for the career prospects of those taking them. Sure some people got to where they wanted to go but what about the rest?

Is media studies just the latest fad?

BTW I am still awaiting the die hard Media Studies student to come along and fight their corner .
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah I mean producing websites with some server side elements in it (i.e databases etc), video clips etc.

That media studies question may be harder than it looks. For example you could say the advert has good, had a a good introduction that goes straight to the point, the camera position captured the point in question. However I think the answer would probably have refer to a lot of theories etc.
Yep, you do have to know a lot of theories, especially at A2 level, and know how to apply them properly. You also have to know about the wider contexts, histories, etc. It may not be rocket science, but it isn't as easy as it's made out to be.

I wish that the people who haven't actually taken the damn subject would stop mouthing off about how easy it is and how worthless it is. You can't tell that just by looking at a few exam papers.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
The thing is that people don't seem to get is that the people ****ging off media studies ie. the MEDIA are the ones that will be out of the job when all these new media studies graduates come to take over the BBC and make it fresh and new and so by ****ging off the courses they are decreasing the value of it and then saving their jobs.
I'm doing Journalism anyway and I've already been offered a job post graduation at either the Sun or the News of The World so it's all very well me arguing but what the hell do I care I've been offered a job and the most circulated newspaper in the country as a researcher guaranteed in 3 and a half years, with connections at Reuters, BBC and the Canadian Times (my uncle is the head of the photographic department and takes all the official photos for the Calgary Stampede) so....I don't really care anymore and stand by the fact I may have taken Media Studies as an A-Level and I feel it's improved my thinking rather than given me a respectable qualification and I'm sure that's better than being thick as custard and having a pretty piece of paper with a hologram on it to tell me that I've got a respectable degree.
Go you! You're obviously happy, so ignore the rest of the idiots.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Someone has offered you a job now to take up post in three and a half years? Do you have a contract offer in writing? I am amazed that anyone would offer you a job BEFORE you graduate bearing in mind that you could do nothing for 3/4 years and scrape a pass.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Frances)

I wish that the people who haven't actually taken the damn subject would stop mouthing off about how easy it is and how worthless it is. You can't tell that just by looking at a few exam papers.
Wow...so its really up there with Maths and English is it?

I mean...some universities are not even accepting it as a subject especially if you are applying for something like Law.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow...so its really up there with Maths and English is it?

I mean...some universities are not even accepting it as a subject!
The university that I want to go to accepted it as a subject, I don't really care what any others think. If they're not snobby and narrowed minded, I don't think I even want to go there. I never said that it was as hard as maths, but when people who've never taken it dismiss it as worthless when they obviously know nothing about it, it gets on my nerves.

And I actually got a higher mark in english than I did in media.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I think this is a good point. I didn't take it at A-level, but my friends who did enjoyed it, some found it challenging and some a bit easier than other subjects. If you enjoy it, you shouldn't be stopped from taking it, just because the bastions of elitism in the UK say its 'mickey mouse'.

I think that other traditionally academic subjects are more respectable though. Saying that, employers don't always pick the guy from a respectable uni with good grades in maths, physics, Chemistry and Biology, they pick the best person for the job, and if its someone who shines in an interview, but whose qualifications are not as good, they will probably get the job.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The university that I want to go to accepted it as a subject, I don't really care what any others think. If they're not snobby and narrowed minded, I don't think I even want to go there. I never said that it was as hard as maths, but when people who've never taken it dismiss it as worthless when they obviously know nothing about it, it gets on my nerves.

And I actually got a higher mark in english than I did in media.
Thats what gets to me, I have never even seen a media studies paper but the people that get good grades in it are not thick. I do agree that in terms of career prospects it may not be a good choice but it can't do any harm. I personaly just hate any comments that may hinder hard working students achievements such as "media studies is easy" "A levels are getting easier every year" "degrees are worthless" etc.

Not everybody is scientific or mathematical. I am more technical myself.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The university that I want to go to accepted it as a subject, I don't really care what any others think.
So one one hand we have people saying it is not a Mickey mouse subject, desparatly fighting their corner to achieve some credability and on the other hand we have people saying that they dont care what other people think.

So which is it going to be?
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I think this is a good point. I didn't take it at A-level, but my friends who did enjoyed it, some found it challenging and some a bit easier than other subjects. If you enjoy it, you shouldn't be stopped from taking it, just because the bastions of elitism in the UK say its 'mickey mouse'.

I think that other traditionally academic subjects are more respectable though. Saying that, employers don't always pick the guy from a respectable uni with good grades in maths, physics, Chemistry and Biology, they pick the best person for the job, and if its someone who shines in an interview, but whose qualifications are not as good, they will probably get the job.
I know that more traditional subjects are probably more "respectable", but surely that's just how the universities perceives them at the moment. I was reading something in the guardian, which said that when people first started studying English Literature, people then called it worthless/mickey mouse/whatever. (Obviously they didn't use the term mickey mouse, cause he wasn't invented then )

Maybe in a few years, when it's a bit older and more established, media studies will be a bit more "respectable"
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People say the same sorts of things about general studies, but that is quite easy though.

Idiots don't A's or B's in it though.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So one one hand we have people saying it is not a Mickey mouse subject, desperately fighting their corner to achieve some credibility and on the other hand we have people saying that they dont care what other people think.

So which is it going to be?
What exactly is your problem?

Obviously it annoys me when people who don't know what they're talking about *cough*mark_KK*cough* **** off something that I enjoy, and that I've worked hard at, and so I'm going to defend it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really effect me in the long run if I can get into a decent university anyway.

Yes, having Media and Film A Levels will probably stop me getting into LSE, but I'll be perfectly happy going to Nottingham (which I have got into), and I'll have got more out of my sixth from years knowing that I've studied subjects that I've actually enjoyed rather than something "respectable" where I'd have just been bored all the time.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe in a few years, when it's a bit older and more established, media studies will be a bit more "respectable"
Maybe, but there will always be subjects people, myself included, laugh at. Media studies is currently in that category. And until something comes along even more far-fetched, it will forever remain a laughing stock.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
People say the same sorts of things about general studies, but that is quite easy though.

Idiots don't A's or B's in it though.
That's very true. Idiots won't get a decent grade in media studies, so if they get the impression from the media that it's easy and that any idiot could get an A, then they're in for a nasty shock.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads