Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylord Queer)
    I don't understand why so many people chose to do a media degree then if it is supposed to be so useless.
    Read up and see what others have said. I am not being mean about Media studies nor do I have an axe to grind with it however:

In summary:

It is seen as a "soft option" compared to the likes of English, Maths, Law etc...

It is a funkey degree, currently in fashion.

People are under the misconception that it will somehow lead to them being a presenter on Sky or head of the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    moving slightly away from the theme of media studie but still staying with mickey mouse what do you think of politics and international study at warwick, would it be considered a weak degree compared to something like english and what are the job prospects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I am not being mean about Media studies nor do I have an axe to grind with it
    Really? Because that's not the impression that you're giving off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politics)
    moving slightly away from the theme of media studie but still staying with mickey mouse what do you think of politics and international study at warwick, would it be considered a weak degree compared to something like english and what are the job prospects
    Politics is generally regarded as being ok and I suppose the other bit goes hand in hand with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politics)
    Politics and International Studies sounds like agood degree to me. Don't be put off by the fact that it ends in studies! Its at Warwick, so any degree from there is going to have reasonably good job prospects, however, personally I would avoid doing this degree at 'less respected' university.

ReputationRep:
    I study International Relations, and its top stuff.

The point about Warwick is a bit pretentious, they had a degree called 'Gender studies' a couple of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Some people class Media Studies and General Studies as mickey mouse, I think Business Studies is right up there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Economics has nothing to do with numeracy. Business Studies is a waste of time - how many succesfull business people do you think took this subject? You learn a lot of pointless jargon about firms, in economics you do get a good look at the theory of the firm, but you also look at the national and international economies to better understand the world we live in. Business Studies won't help you get a job in the City or high up in business, because everyone knows its mickey mouse
    that's a crazy arguement, ANY a-level won't get you in a job high up in a firm. A MBA might!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    that's a crazy arguement, ANY a-level won't get you in a job high up in a firm. A MBA might!!
    Well is it true that a lot of top direcors have MBA's. I half considering myself once I get a job, I can't decide if I should do a part time master of computing or an MBA.

ReputationRep:
    MBA's are sadly lacking.

Most of the MBA holders I know have a personal net worth of under $20k. Which brings me to ask this. If you can't manage your own checking account, how useful are you to a business?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Some people class Media Studies and General Studies as mickey mouse, I think Business Studies is right up there too.
    Business is not a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Business is not a joke.
    Business Studies is a decent subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Business is not a joke.
    Its just as big a joke as general studies and media studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Well is it true that a lot of top direcors have MBA's. I half considering myself once I get a job, I can't decide if I should do a part time master of computing or an MBA.
    Is it true that to get a decent job in business in the USA a MBA is the norm? I think here, in the UK, a lot less people have MBAs (i dunno if that's true it's just a guestimation) maybe it's because a masters in other business-ish areas is more common (am i talking complete bull).

Im thinking of becoming a management consultant, although I only have a vague idea of what it is. I'll do a search on ukl.

This thread has upset me because I have an A in Business Studies A-level and I really enjoyed it. But now I hear that any subject with "Studies" in the title is looked down upon...my life just aint worth living. Maybe they should rename it to A-level in Business Administration.

God, I can remember me...sitting there in the library with all the books out thinking I was doing proper research for my Business Studies essays. I feel like such a fool. I even used to make photocopies of interesting articles and pages from books to present to the class.

Well to all those who diss Business Studies...stfu!

Actually it reminds me of the time a professor teaching managment told me that it was a shame that the study of business is only just becoming recognised in this country. He was from the states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    MBA's are sadly lacking.

Most of the MBA holders I know have a personal net worth of under $20k. Which brings me to ask this. If you can't manage your own checking account, how useful are you to a business?
    you don't know the right MBA holders :cool:

it's all about the contacts

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that to get a decent job in business in the USA a MBA is the norm? I think here, in the UK, a lot less people have MBAs (i dunno if that's true it's just a guestimation) maybe it's because a masters in other business-ish areas is more common (am i talking complete bull).

Im thinking of becoming a management consultant, although I only have a vague idea of what it is. I'll do a search on ukl.

This thread has upset me because I have an A in Business Studies A-level and I really enjoyed it. But now I hear that any subject with "Studies" in the title is looked down upon...my life just aint worth living. Maybe they should rename it to A-level in Business Administration.

God, I can remember me...sitting there in the library with all the books out thinking I was doing proper research for my Business Studies essays. I feel like such a fool. I even used to make photocopies of interesting articles and pages from books to present to the class.

Well to all those who diss Business Studies...stfu!

Actually it reminds me of the time a professor teaching managment told me that it was a shame that the study of business is only just becoming recognised in this country. He was from the states.
    First off my message was suppose to say "it is true" not is it true so sorry about that.

I did AS Business Studies though it wasn't rocket science it does require a lot of hard work to get a good grade. Some of these trheads upset me as well because I hate to see young people being put down for their achievements its not fair. You enjoyed business studies so you will probably one day get a good job in business while all those science people dishing your subject will still be in a measly job

ReputationRep:
    lies they are all lies....lalalalallallala...im not listening

they are lies thought up by the angry left wing communist *******s....lies!!

ReputationRep:
    I assume you have studied both these subjects to make such a generalisation? I asssure you there is academic content in business studies and propably media studies (I say probably because I have never studied it).

ReputationRep:
    lies they are all lies....lalalalallallala...im not listening

they are lies thought up by the angry left wing communist *******s....lies!!
    LOL

And as for the Guardian well they are liberal and can't make up their minds! And yes I was offered a job if you must know but with work experience at News International the BBC etc you really don't think I'm a really thick person do you? Thousands of people apply for those places and all they did was look at some of my work and take me on, can I help it if I'm amazing?
    They said after any degree if I was still interested they would love to have me on starting in research which is bottom of the rung but what can you do? You have to prove yourself before you can work in the media and I know plenty of people to push me up in the right direction including the Light Entertainments Producer at BBC Radio, Matthew Amaralliwalla, Jon Simpson (my mum's his ex-wife's accountant that he is still on good terms with), Robert Harris (We have signed first edition copies of Enigma, Fatherland, Pompeii etc) my brother works in the music industry and is friends with Keith Flint, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart, Gary Barlow. So it's all very well and good have a degree in Media Studies but really if you want to be in the industry work experience should happen before anything else, otherwise you do have a worthless degree, not because your stupid or the exams and syllabus is stupid but because people are stupid and don't actually know what it entails to have such a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    LOL

And as for the Guardian well they are liberal and can't make up their minds! And yes I was offered a job if you must know but with work experience at News International the BBC etc you really don't think I'm a really thick person do you? Thousands of people apply for those places and all they did was look at some of my work and take me on, can I help it if I'm amazing?
    They said after any degree if I was still interested they would love to have me on starting in research which is bottom of the rung but what can you do? You have to prove yourself before you can work in the media and I know plenty of people to push me up in the right direction including the Light Entertainments Producer at BBC Radio, Matthew Amaralliwalla, Jon Simpson (my mum's his ex-wife's accountant that he is still on good terms with), Robert Harris (We have signed first edition copies of Enigma, Fatherland, Pompeii etc) my brother works in the music industry and is friends with Keith Flint, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart, Gary Barlow. So it's all very well and good have a degree in Media Studies but really if you want to be in the industry work experience should happen before anything else, otherwise you do have a worthless degree, not because your stupid or the exams and syllabus is stupid but because people are stupid and don't actually know what it entails to have such a degree.
    Cool, but you like to name drop don't you I'm doing media studies GCSE... the BBC wouldn't give me work experience because I was under 18. There's meant to be loads of coursework for A Level and a quite a bit for GCSE, so a media degree must have loads of work... NO WAY is media studies in the same league as media studies

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.