Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Had 2 panic attacks during my exam yesterday ... watch

ReputationRep:
    I had my 2nd A2 English Language exam yesterday and think I may have completely bombed it. I had 2 hours sleep the night before, a huge migrane on the morning of the exam and two panic attacks in the exam room. I had to leave the room twice cause of the panic attacks. I just wanna know where I can go from here, I've tried lookin on the WJEC website for an address to write to but can't find anything. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you let you school,/centre know of your situation...If possible, get a docs note..I really doubt that you are allowed to contact the board yourself...hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it should be the school/centre, and immediately... But anyway, if you left the room twice coz of panic attacks that would have been something an invigilator would have taken a note of so that you're marked more fairly.

ReputationRep:
    I was given a few extra minutes at the end, but the invigilator didn't make any note of it at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymruambyth)
    I was given a few extra minutes at the end, but the invigilator didn't make any note of it at all
    i defiantely think you should contact the board and use a doc note as back up. are you alright now? how are you feeling?

neha
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I had my 2nd A2 English Language exam yesterday and think I may have completely bombed it. I had 2 hours sleep the night before, a huge migrane on the morning of the exam and two panic attacks in the exam room. I had to leave the room twice cause of the panic attacks. I just wanna know where I can go from here, I've tried lookin on the WJEC website for an address to write to but can't find anything. What should I do?
    You should have gone to see your examinations officer immediately, they have within 7 days to contact the exam board so make sure you get your examinations officer to write to them! i don't think you contacting them independantly is going to have any effect as they need proof and like someone already said the invigilator will have surely taken note of what happened and pass it to your examinations officer, a medical note would also be helpful in this situation!

Good luck
    sam
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i defiantely think you should contact the board and use a doc note as back up. are you alright now? how are you feeling?

neha
    xxxx
    Yeah, I'm OK now, thanks. It was scary at the time. I went white, I couldn't breathe and I felt gut-sick. I went to the exams office straight after the exam, but there was nobody there. The invigalator actually told me that he thought there was 'no need' to write anything down. I insisted but he wasn't having any of it.

ReputationRep:
    just go into the exam like it means nothing

ReputationRep:
    The invigalator actually told me that he thought there was 'no need' to write anything down. I insisted but he wasn't having any of it.
    That is bloody ridiculous, you should make a 'hoo-ha' about this you have a right to! i've heard of peole geeting extra time/points cause of nose bleeds and headaches but you had PANIC ATTACK come on, if they aren't being sympathetic get your parents to write/call the school something has to be done! Have you seen your doctor as yet?

ReputationRep:
    No, but the funny thing is, I can't exactly go to to doctor and say 'I had a panic attack yesterday, can you write a note for me for it?'. I just want to get this sorted without any fuss. My result has definetly been affected by this.

ReputationRep:
    What precisely do you want done? I dont want to sound negative, but Im not entirely sure what can be. They wont change your grade or anything. If they took such an approach then a lot of people would 'fake' such things to get a better grade.

ReputationRep:
    I know that. And the only reason I'm thinking of writing a letter to the WJEC is becuase my brother told me to! I told him about the panic attacks in confidence (I don't want my parents to know, they'd be gutted all summer long if they thought I'd missed my chance to go to York). Anyway, my brother is at Uni and always writes to his exam board when he has a migrane or whatever during the exam and they're always really lenient. I don't want the examiners to change or bump up my grade, I just want them to consider the circumstances whilst marking my incoherent, shoddy exam!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to sound harsh but things like this rarely get sorted without you having to make a fuss about it beacuse at the end of the day its your exam and if it went bad due to your panic attacks, its your responsitbility to make things better in anyway you can! i.e. i had an accidnt on the morning of one of my exams which was vital to my uni place and i know for a fact that exam went down the drain! if i decided not to make a fuss nothing nothing would have been done about it, i made sure:

-At the scene of the incident got the details of 2 witnesses.
    -Went to see my examinations officer, as a result, my exam started later and a letter was sent to the exam board.
    -I went to see my doctor after the exam, even though i didn't get a note the fact that i sustained whiplash injuries was noted in my medical records.
    -Contacted my prospective university making them aware of the incident incase my grades slip.

My point is this, i could have decided not to make a fuss, but i am so certain my exam sufferred due to what happened and if i can get any possible kind of help its my responsibility to make sure i get it!

Sorry to sound like a *****, but you deserve all the help you can possibly get if your exam really suffered!

ReputationRep:
    So what do I do now? I'm going to worry more and more if I leave this thing unresolved. I'm in college right now, should I go and find the exams officer?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you speak to the examinations officer immediatley, the longer you leave it, the less likley they are to contact the exam board and see what can be arranged for you.

Speed is of the essence here....

ReputationRep:
    How scary is that? My English teacher just came to me and told me that the invigilator told her I was ill twice during the exam! She's gonna come with me later to see the exams officer!

ReputationRep:
    I wish you the best of luck with this, remember you have a right to protest your situation, and only you can do that!

sam
    x

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, Sam Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're ok now. What's your first choice uni?

ReputationRep:
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

I had a massive panic attack about 10 days before my A2's started. I then had a breakdown and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks missing most of my A2's. My college haven't been too supportive and i've just had to make a complaint about the consultant because she lied in the letter she wrote (silly cow!) luckily my GP was able to write me a letter supporting me. I know its hard but you really need to kick up a fuss about this if you feel it impaired your exam performance. If i had listened to what people had told me i would have done nothing. I may have lots my university place as it is even with special consideration, but at least i know i tried my hardest to get something done about it.

Good luck, hope things work out for you.

ReputationRep:
    my mates does wjec eng...she also had a panick attack mid way...the invigilators pulled her out..shes now gettin predicted grade for that mpdule!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.