Turn on thread page Beta

Had 2 panic attacks during my exam yesterday ... watch

ReputationRep:
    oh i think she got a doctors note...she had to go to stress management classes and the head of eng rang up the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymruambyth)
    Cheers, Sam Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're ok now. What's your first choice uni?
    I'm getting better, my neck is still a bit soar though, atleast i don't have any exams to worry about and can rest! Hopefully i'll be going to Barts in London to do medicine, provided i get in! How about you, York isn't it? to do what course?

ReputationRep:
    My friend got a panic attack too and I feel bad for her.... but lucky it was 2 weeks before the bulk of exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    My friend got a panic attack too and I feel bad for her.... but lucky it was 2 weeks before the bulk of exams.
    And the exam boards aims were to reduce exam stress, yet they aren't in my opinion.

IMO, they should spread out exams more, rather than condenscing them into a smaller time period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    I'm getting better, my neck is still a bit soar though, atleast i don't have any exams to worry about and can rest! Hopefully i'll be going to Barts in London to do medicine, provided i get in! How about you, York isn't it? to do what course?
    French & Linguistics at York. They want BBB. I'm sure I got at least a B in French & Welsh, but maybe a C/D in English after the panic attacks.

I wrote a letter explaining the situation and gave it in at the exams office at college, they're going to forward it to the WJEC, though I doubt it's gonna make any difference; I haven't handed in a doctors note so they'll probably think I'm just making excuses.

That's freaky that someone else had a panic attack during a WJEC English exam. Even though I've sent in a note, I still don't feel any better. I've been breaking into cold sweats just thinking about not getting the grades. I'm so mad at myself for getting myself into this situation.

ReputationRep:
    u should have stayed in the room and sat it out, its only fear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    u should have stayed in the room and sat it out, its only fear
    Anybody that knows me knows i am not a naturally anxious person. However i ended up in hospital because of my panic attack.

Unless you've ever had one, i suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Anybody that knows me knows i am not a naturally anxious person. However i ended up in hospital because of my panic attack.

i used to have loads last year and developed a fear of food (coz i started panicking evry time i felt sick) but im ok now and have learned to control panic attacks. by sitting them out, ure letting ure instincts know the situation is safe, by running away u'll feel better in the short term but it does no good in the long term. agrophobia can develop frm panic attacks which is wot i got wiv a fear of being sick lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I agree. Nobody can really understand the experience of a panic attack without going through it. I used to suffer very very badly from severe attacks but I've now learnt so many coping techniques that they don't affect me any more. Even so, I'd still never say to someone it's as simple as just sitting it out - I know how much it's taken to get me to where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I agree. Nobody can really understand the experience of a panic attack without going through it. I used to suffer very very badly from severe attacks but I've now learnt so many coping techniques that they don't affect me any more. Even so, I'd still never say to someone it's as simple as just sitting it out - I know how much it's taken to get me to where I am now.
    it really depends on personality type and experience as to whether you can sit it out r not. what techniques do you use to control them besides relaxing? all i got told to do was breath steady and relax :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Thats great that you don't have panic attacks anymore. They tried to just dose me up on tranquillisers, but i wanted to learn how to deal with things without turning to tablets all the time. Plus the fact that benzodiazepines are addictive. 8 days and no panic attack for me . And sitting through it is definitely not an option. Last monday i went for 10 hours trying to distract myself and do something else and eventually it made things worse.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked on the net for typical symptoms of panic attacks and I felt more of less all of these symptoms:

Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations
    Sweating
    Shaking visibly or inside
    Choking sensations or lump in throat
    Smothering or shortness of breath sensations
    Chest pain or discomfort
    Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort
    Dizziness or unsteadiness
    Feeling light-headed
    Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)
    Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)
    Fear of losing control or going crazy
    Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body
    Chills or hot flushes
    Skin losing colour
    Blushing or skin blotches

I've also just written an e-mail to York informing them of what happened, so hopefully I'll get a response soon. It's all I've been able to think about recently. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to enjoy the summer ..... It's 6 weeks today til the results!

ReputationRep:
    U need to chill out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    U need to chill out!
    Oh how helpful you are :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I felt something similar to that (pounding heart, difficulty breathing, shaking, dizziness etc) during the notoriously-difficult Edexcel non-calc Maths GCSE this year (the difficulty really didnt help!!) but I think it was just that I couldn't cope crammed in the middle of loads of people in unbearable heat. I ended up leaving the hall for a while and totally messed up the exam but I didn't get extra time or anything and no note was made or anything. I really hope I didn't do TOO badly coz I want to do Maths next year and I'm moving to a new school so if I do badly they won't really know that I am not really that bad at Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymruambyth)
    I wrote a letter explaining the situation and gave it in at the exams office at college, they're going to forward it to the WJEC, though I doubt it's gonna make any difference; I haven't handed in a doctors note so they'll probably think I'm just making excuses.
    I'm glad to hear you've done summin bout it, i'm sure you'll benefit somehow, if u don't thats quite unsympathetic imo! I would advise you to also email ur prospective uni, mine were extremely helpful with the whole situation.

Good luck with everything and keep me posted!

sam
    x

ReputationRep:
    Still no word from York, maybe the admissions people don't answer their e-mails during the summer .... ah well .......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Thats great that you don't have panic attacks anymore. They tried to just dose me up on tranquillisers, but i wanted to learn how to deal with things without turning to tablets all the time. Plus the fact that benzodiazepines are addictive. 8 days and no panic attack for me . And sitting through it is definitely not an option. Last monday i went for 10 hours trying to distract myself and do something else and eventually it made things worse.
    I felt exactly the same way, I was quite young when I started suffering from panic attacks and I didn't want to end up reliant on tablets. It was hard at the time, but I'm so glad I made that decision now. And 8 days is impressive, I know what an achievement it is when these things are blighting your life. Hope things are still going well

I can't remember the last time I actually had a full-blown panic attack now because I tend to be able to stop them in their tracks. The most important thing to remember is that you are in control of the situation - you're creating this monster, and all these feelings that you can't breathe etc. are coming from inside you. Which means you can stop them too. It took me so long to actually believe that but I think it helped a hell of a lot when I did - it takes some of the fear away. Also, the initial arousal (rapid breathing, increased heart rate etc) of your panic response is basically the same physiologically as an excitement response. So if you feel the very early stirrings of an attack start telling yourself "I'm excited!" about whatever the situation is. Sounds stupid I know but it's the little things that sometimes work, and your mind is a powerful thing. Hope all this rambling helps someone, anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    what techniques do you use to control them besides relaxing? all i got told to do was breath steady and relax :confused:
    I think you need mental tricks to combine with the physical ones - for me it was partly educating myself about the cause of panic attacks, combined with random little things like I've mentioned in the post above. Eventually they become so ingrained that you don't need to do them consciously anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite scared during the exam cause it was my first ever panic attack, I've never felt anything like that before. First I was hot, then cold, shaking, sweating, pale ..... That didn't help my concentration in the least .....

MY 100TH POST! HOORAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.