Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking for some opinions, been working Chest and Triceps together, hitting the chest with compounds like barbell bench then moving onto some triceps isolation. What I've found though, is that after some heavy chest work my triceps aren't working anywhere near full capacity as they're pretty burned out. So I've thought about separating them out and trying more of a Chest/Biceps and Back/Triceps split. Then giving Legs a separate day. That way the triceps won't be pre-fatigued by compound chest work and I can really push them on lifts like close-grip bench, skullcrushers etc.

If I did this would a days rest in between be enough? So Chest/Biceps, rest, Back/triceps, rest, Legs/Shoulders, rest, rest, repeat.This would give biceps 48 hours rest between chest/biceps until they're hit again on back/bicep day and triceps 48 hours until they're hit again when I work shoulders
    Wondered if anybody has tried this sort of approach or your general opinions on separating triceps from chest and going for a three-day split, with a day of rest between each workout session.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can only speak about what works for me, but: Chest/triceps seems to be the best bet. When I tried Chest/biceps, a one day rest was not enough for my biceps to fully overcome their fatigue. Therefore when back/tricep day arrived, I found that I was wanting my 100% potential, since my biceps got worn out very quickly. However if you do something like this:

Back/triceps
    Rest
    Legs/shoulders
    Rest
    Chest/biceps
    Rest
    Rest
    Repeat

then you would have a 2 day rest between chest and back day. This extra day of rest between upper body workout days is not as trivial as it might seem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vallern)
    Well I can only speak about what works for me, but: Chest/triceps seems to be the best bet. When I tried Chest/biceps, a one day rest was not enough for my biceps to fully overcome their fatigue. Therefore when back/tricep day arrived, I found that I was wanting my 100% potential, since my biceps got worn out very quickly. However if you do something like this:

Back/triceps
    Rest
    Legs/shoulders
    Rest
    Chest/biceps
    Rest
    Rest
    Repeat

then you would have a 2 day rest between chest and back day. This extra day of rest between upper body workout days is not as trivial as it might seem.
    Ok mate cheers for your post, guess my worry with the order you've put up is are the shoulders getting enough rest between leg/shoulder day and chest/biceps day when they're gonna get hit again as a secondary muscle when benching.
    Guess I'm just paranoid that hitting a muscle only 48 hours after the first workout will hamper progress in terms of strength/size. So maybe two rest days in between each workout? But then I'd be concerned about lack of frequency.

ReputationRep:
    5 day Split

chest, calves, abs
    lats, traps, hamstrings
    shoulders, abs
    biceps, triceps
    quads, abs
    rest
    rest

ReputationRep:
    Periodize properly and it makes zeroooooooooooooooo difference.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    GAINS!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plasmaman)
    Looking for some opinions, been working Chest and Triceps together, hitting the chest with compounds like barbell bench then moving onto some triceps isolation. What I've found though, is that after some heavy chest work my triceps aren't working anywhere near full capacity as they're pretty burned out. So I've thought about separating them out and trying more of a Chest/Biceps and Back/Triceps split. Then giving Legs a separate day. That way the triceps won't be pre-fatigued by compound chest work and I can really push them on lifts like close-grip bench, skullcrushers etc.

If I did this would a days rest in between be enough? So Chest/Biceps, rest, Back/triceps, rest, Legs/Shoulders, rest, rest, repeat.This would give biceps 48 hours rest between chest/biceps until they're hit again on back/bicep day and triceps 48 hours until they're hit again when I work shoulders
    Wondered if anybody has tried this sort of approach or your general opinions on separating triceps from chest and going for a three-day split, with a day of rest between each workout session.
    does that matter? :holmes: that's kind of the point of doing chest with tris isn't it? why do you need to avoid pre-fatiguing them?

i'm sure you can make chest/bis and back/tris work but as someone else has said it's probably less obvious how to make sure you're recovered from your bicep work on chest/bi day ready to hit your back on back/tris.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently following a split which goes:

Chest + Biceps, Back + Triceps, Legs + Shoulders, Rest, Repeat

I find it works perfectly for me and I'm not fatigued come the next day when hitting X body part. There are a number of factors which come into play when it comes into your fatigue so you might want to consider that. Some people work best doing the split I detailed, whilst others prefer PPL. Some people work better with a bro split too, and others doing full/half body.

ReputationRep:
    I second the does it matter? They are tired because they have been hit by bench already so really what you'd be doing would be if you stick with compounds is more like:

Chest/Biceps/tricep
    Back/tricep/bicep
    Legs/Shoulders/tricep

ReputationRep:
    As long as there's little overlap in your overall program, up to you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.