Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a second year maths student. As part of each module there are 3-4 pieces of homework/assignments/problem sheets that must be handed in to your markers pigeon hole before the deadline, and these in total count for 20% of your grade.

For each module the deadline times are different, and also the penalties for late submission vary. In my only module where late submission is penalised with 0 marks, my marker has twice given me 0 marks due to apparently handing in the work after the deadline.

I categorically did not hand these into his pigeon hole late, the deadline is 4:30PM and I'll admit that the work would have been handed in close to this time but definitely not after it.

I have never handed in a single piece of work late, which can be viewed on my student page on the vle for various modules.

I have emailed this marker both times, twice he has told me that it was handed in late, and despite my best efforts the first time he wasn't budging. So I let it go... but now this has happened for a second time. Rather conspicuously, this second piece of work was handed in the day after we exchanged emails regarding the first piece of work, making me even more suspicious as to why they are getting marked as late.

I have emailed the lecturer but he told me that this PhD student is a trusted marker so he has no reason to doubt that he is telling the truth, so here it is... my word against the markers word. No proof from either sides, the pain of still handing work into a box in the 21st century. Very frustrating when this work counts significantly for the module.

I want to take this matter further as these two pieces of work are 10% of my module grade, I spent a lot of time and effort doing the work, handed it in on time, and I am getting zero credit for it. This is very frustrating.

What avenues can I go down to get this sorted? As it is clear that the approach that I have tried is not getting me anywhere.

Cheers

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamivison)
    Hello,

I am a second year maths student. As part of each module there are 3-4 pieces of homework/assignments/problem sheets that must be handed in to your markers pigeon hole before the deadline, and these in total count for 20% of your grade.

For each module the deadline times are different, and also the penalties for late submission vary. In my only module where late submission is penalised with 0 marks, my marker has twice given me 0 marks due to apparently handing in the work after the deadline.

I categorically did not hand these into his pigeon hole late, the deadline is 4:30PM and I'll admit that the work would have been handed in close to this time but definitely not after it.

I have never handed in a single piece of work late, which can be viewed on my student page on the vle for various modules.

I have emailed this marker both times, twice he has told me that it was handed in late, and despite my best efforts the first time he wasn't budging. So I let it go... but now this has happened for a second time. Rather conspicuously, this second piece of work was handed in the day after we exchanged emails regarding the first piece of work, making me even more suspicious as to why they are getting marked as late.

I have emailed the lecturer but he told me that this PhD student is a trusted marker so he has no reason to doubt that he is telling the truth, so here it is... my word against the markers word. No proof from either sides, the pain of still handing work into a box in the 21st century. Very frustrating when this work counts significantly for the module.

I want to take this matter further as these two pieces of work are 10% of my module grade, I spent a lot of time and effort doing the work, handed it in on time, and I am getting zero credit for it. This is very frustrating.

What avenues can I go down to get this sorted? As it is clear that the approach that I have tried is not getting me anywhere.

Cheers

Adam
    This does seem like a ridiculous situation- if you're going to have strong late penalties apply ASAP then you need proof of the time things were handed in.

Firstly, I'd say from now on, you need to start handing things in earlier. It's not ideal, but assume that if the deadline's 4.30, you need to hand things in by midday to be 100% sure you're safe. IMO, this is a good habit to get into anyway, just in case you run into problems when you're cutting things very fine.

Secondly, are you sure that you didn't make a mistake with the deadline on either piece of work? Could the deadline for the second piece have been earlier in the day, could you have got the date wrong for either piece? Check the deadline wasn't changed at the last minute, too.

Do you have someone like a course rep you could speak to? If this has happened as you think it has, then it's likely it's not just you it's affected. If a group of you can raise this as an issue, then you've got more leverage raising things with the university.

Because it's such a he said/she said type situation, I think it's going to be hard to resolve a grievance/complaint, but you could find out how to do this and decide if it's worth the time/energy to pursue this.

If you don't get anywhere with this, you could consider raising a complaint with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. http://www.oiahe.org.uk/ You wouldn't be asking them to judge the specific situation, because it's your word against the markers, but they might be willing to make a judgement on whether the practice is unfair. You can only complain to the OIA if you've already been through the internal complaints process though, so this would be a last step if you really don't get anywhere with the uni.

For the record, I do think this is a silly way to run the system- most unis with strict penalties for being late will either have you submit things online, or to a member of admin staff, so at least you're giving your work to an actual person.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your Student Union. This happened on my course and when the SU got involved, there was a ridiculous chain of staff errors - assignments stuck at the top of the hand-in box and not collected, stapled to other work, sent to the wrong marker, marked as not handed in even when the marker confirmed they were with the other assignments as expected...

In the end, people handed in in groups and with their SU rep, so there were witnesses.

ReputationRep:
    In a he said/she said situation, it can be helpful to start from a point of assuming that both people are telling the truth: you handed it in on time, but the marker received it late.

So it's the system at fault, rather that either of the individuals: using this reasoning, there must be things that can go wrong between you delivering the work and it getting into the hands of your marker - and when the work is left unattended for a while, in an open-access pigeon hole, there are all sorts of scenarios that could happen.

I would take the approach of asking the university (by whatever channels are available to you - course rep or union rep or whatever you have) to change their submission systems - in my opinion anything that counts towards final grades should have a submission receipt system, whether that's electronically or manual signature.

(I realise that this won't help your current situation - but by drawing attention to your plight in a calm, official manner, opportunities for reconsidering your late-submission penalties may arise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamivison)
    Hello,

Cheers

Adam
    do you not have receipt system at uni in my uni you got a receipt when you handed in an assignment that you got a copy of and a copy was attached to the assignment and another was filed by the faculty office. you might want to try writing up a receipt and getting it signed by a lecturer who is around at the time when your told it's late just hand it to the lecturer (someone at collage did this after his tutor lost some of his work)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'd agree with what everyone said. the system sounds flawed and its probably the case neither of you is lying. Its the system.

Schoolboy error though by not pushing it the first time and getting proof the second. Thats made worse by you pushing it right to the deadline. Upi could have got proof with just a witness from the department and they could have datestamped it for you. That is just common sense.

You should raise it officially with the department and if not then what slow loris said about going to the OIA one that is exhausted.

ReputationRep:
    take it to your SU and probably course director, really, it doesn't matter if you did hand it in on time or not there shouldn't be a system in place where it is possible to make a mistake at all... we had a box coursework went into and it was closed at 4pm so you knew at the time if you were late so it's easily organised...in this situation, you could have made a mistake, you could be lying, he could have made a mistake - it's possible the clock in this student's office runs 5 minutes fast so you hand it in at 3.58 and he got there at 3.57 and misses yours or vice versa

until you're certain it's resolved hand everything in a reasonable amount early just in case
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    take it to your SU and probably course director, really, it doesn't matter if you did hand it in on time or not there shouldn't be a system in place where it is possible to make a mistake at all... we had a box coursework went into and it was closed at 4pm so you knew at the time if you were late so it's easily organised...in this situation, you could have made a mistake, you could be lying, he could have made a mistake - it's possible the clock in this student's office runs 5 minutes fast so you hand it in at 3.58 and he got there at 3.57 and misses yours or vice versa

until you're certain it's resolved hand everything in a reasonable amount early just in case
    I really think most unis have always had such a simple thing in place to avoid this sort of mix up. Just putting it in someones pigeonhole makes no sense as someone else could walk off with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.