Kayleigh71
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
any ideas about these poems? any links between him and sheers? any help would be great!
thank you!
Bethanallsorts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing the same! If you're doing Skirrid hill by sheers, then there's some things that I can help you with

Seamus heaney's field work poetry is mainly based on War imagery from the troubles in Ireland, while Skirrid hill is based mainly on the deterioration of relationships.

But considering what I just said, there are poems about Heaney's love for his wife in his collection, while there are poems about world war two in Skirrid hill.

Sheers is extremely descriptive and is actually quite gory about his war poetry, while Heaney seems to be quite "gentle" with it, kinda not wanting to upset the reader.

I think there are more differences between them than similarities (that's my opinion) which is actually gives me a huge headache, as we are mostly taught how to spot the similarities more than the differences :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I hope this is helpful! It's been so hard trying to find study notes on Sheers because this is a new spec :argh: Hopefully you get more replies!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry I cannot help. I was in Edinburgh when he spoke at the Book Festival a few years ago but missed the time to buy tickets. Something I regret.
Kayleigh71
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Bethanallsorts)
I'm doing the same! If you're doing Skirrid hill by sheers, then there's some things that I can help you with

Seamus heaney's field work poetry is mainly based on War imagery from the troubles in Ireland, while Skirrid hill is based mainly on the deterioration of relationships.

But considering what I just said, there are poems about Heaney's love for his wife in his collection, while there are poems about world war two in Skirrid hill.

Sheers is extremely descriptive and is actually quite gory about his war poetry, while Heaney seems to be quite "gentle" with it, kinda not wanting to upset the reader.

I think there are more differences between them than similarities (that's my opinion) which is actually gives me a huge headache, as we are mostly taught how to spot the similarities more than the differences :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I hope this is helpful! It's been so hard trying to find study notes on Sheers because this is a new spec :argh: Hopefully you get more replies!
thank you so much! yeah i agree, its so weird getting two completely different poets and telling us to find similarities. its so frustrating! thank you for replying
Bethanallsorts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kayleigh71)
thank you so much! yeah i agree, its so weird getting two completely different poets and telling us to find similarities. its so frustrating! thank you for replying

Tell me about it! They're two complete opposites in the way that they write poetry
han.davies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what poems did you use from field work to compare with owen sheers- my teacher is so far behind and we haven't annotated any!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads