Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    any ideas about these poems? any links between him and sheers? any help would be great!
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same! If you're doing Skirrid hill by sheers, then there's some things that I can help you with

Seamus heaney's field work poetry is mainly based on War imagery from the troubles in Ireland, while Skirrid hill is based mainly on the deterioration of relationships.

But considering what I just said, there are poems about Heaney's love for his wife in his collection, while there are poems about world war two in Skirrid hill.

Sheers is extremely descriptive and is actually quite gory about his war poetry, while Heaney seems to be quite "gentle" with it, kinda not wanting to upset the reader.

I think there are more differences between them than similarities (that's my opinion) which is actually gives me a huge headache, as we are mostly taught how to spot the similarities more than the differences :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I hope this is helpful! It's been so hard trying to find study notes on Sheers because this is a new spec :argh: Hopefully you get more replies!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I cannot help. I was in Edinburgh when he spoke at the Book Festival a few years ago but missed the time to buy tickets. Something I regret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethanallsorts)
    I'm doing the same! If you're doing Skirrid hill by sheers, then there's some things that I can help you with

Seamus heaney's field work poetry is mainly based on War imagery from the troubles in Ireland, while Skirrid hill is based mainly on the deterioration of relationships.

But considering what I just said, there are poems about Heaney's love for his wife in his collection, while there are poems about world war two in Skirrid hill.

Sheers is extremely descriptive and is actually quite gory about his war poetry, while Heaney seems to be quite "gentle" with it, kinda not wanting to upset the reader.

I think there are more differences between them than similarities (that's my opinion) which is actually gives me a huge headache, as we are mostly taught how to spot the similarities more than the differences :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:

I hope this is helpful! It's been so hard trying to find study notes on Sheers because this is a new spec :argh: Hopefully you get more replies!
    thank you so much! yeah i agree, its so weird getting two completely different poets and telling us to find similarities. its so frustrating! thank you for replying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayleigh71)
    thank you so much! yeah i agree, its so weird getting two completely different poets and telling us to find similarities. its so frustrating! thank you for replying

Tell me about it! They're two complete opposites in the way that they write poetry

ReputationRep:
    what poems did you use from field work to compare with owen sheers- my teacher is so far behind and we haven't annotated any!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.