The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i don't think he should be sentanced to death. I don't believe in an eye for an eye, although i think it would be better for him to suffer in jail, mind you could that not a be a danger as he could attract some supporters while he was in jail?
Reply 21
randdom
Ok but you are meant to have an unbiased Jury and they will have trouble finding one if he is tried in Iraq.

where would you be able to find an unbiased jury?
Reply 22
Cossack
where would you be able to find an unbiased jury?

You would be able to find a less biased jury in many other countries probably not America or Britain though. He was the dictator of Iraq for so long and there is a lot of hatred towards past dictators by the country that they were the leader of. Most people would surely have a very negative view of him and maybe already perceive him to be guilty. Therefor the jury is likely to have already made up their mind before they hear the trial. I think that if someone is going to be executed they have the right to a fair trial that this will not be.
Reply 23
randdom
You would be able to find a less biased jury in many other countries probably not America or Britain though. He was the dictator of Iraq for so long and there is a lot of hatred towards past dictators by the country that they were the leader of. Most people would surely have a very negative view of him and maybe already perceive him to be guilty. Therefor the jury is likely to have already made up their mind before they hear the trial. I think that if someone is going to be executed they have the right to a fair trial that this will not be.

I assume that you have never been to iraq or met someone who lived under Sadamns reign and yet you already have this opinon of what Sadamn did.We all share that same opinon, wherever a trial of this sort is held the jury will have a bias before the trial. Whether it be in Iraq or Tazmania

He commited the crimes against Iraqi people and therefore he should be tried in an iraqi court - the trial of Jessica and Holly took place in Britain and there was no chance of avoiding bias amongst the jury there, would you suggest that case should have been tried abroad?
Reply 24
Cossack
I assume that you have never been to iraq or met someone who lived under Sadamns reign and yet you already have this opinon of what Sadamn did.We all share that same opinon, wherever a trial of this sort is held the jury will have a bias before the trial. Whether it be in Iraq or Tazmania

He commited the crimes against Iraqi people and therefore he should be tried in an iraqi court - the trial of Jessica and Holly took place in Britain and there was no chance of avoiding bias amongst the jury there, would you suggest that case should have been tried abroad?

I think this seems to go against what has happend in the past. Aren't most dictators tried by an international court after being overthrown? I have met someone who was living in Iraq under Sudamns reign. She was a good friend of mine during the later years of primary school and the first 3 years of secondary school. So therefor I do have some bias therefore I shouldn't be on the jury but what I have is nothing compared to what some people in Iraq will have. In my post I stated that he was a dictator I didn't say that he was guilty of anything because that is yet to be determined by a court. But like I have said I personally am Biased which is why I wouldn't make a good juror. In the cases of the Sohem murders or any murder trial the jury are picked so that they have nothing to do with the victim, the accused or the family of the victim. In Iraq people have something to do with Sudamn because they were ruled by him for years. This I think does mean he will have an unfair trial. And also do you think that the American government will just accept it if he is found not guilty?
Reply 25
I don't know why they're bothering with a trial!! It's not like there's any question of whether he's fully responsible for 1000s of deaths, or like someone tricked him into using his power, wealth and position to murder all those people.
Amb1
I don't know why they're bothering with a trial!! It's not like there's any question of whether he's fully responsible for 1000s of deaths, or like someone tricked him into using his power, wealth and position to murder all those people.

because if you dont have a trial you are as bad as he was
Reply 27
Speciez99
because if you dont have a trial you are as bad as he was
What is a trial for? Isn't it to find out what the person has done and to judge whether their actions were right or wrong?
Amb1
What does a trial do? Isn't it to find out what the person has done and to judge whether their actions were right or wrong?

If you think he is gulity why should anyone be trialed?
It gives him a chance to defend his actions if he wants too, and suggest reasons for his actions. It will ensure the punishment will meet the crime. It shows that the process is fair. It shows the Iraq people on a political level that the US is different to Sadam. ect. there are millions of reasons why trials in general and in this case are necessary
You kill 1 person your a murderer
You kill 10 people your a psychopath
You kill 10,000 people you are a conqueror
You kill 6,000,000 people an dyour evil

????? Are these people or are these just statistic?
Reply 30
I agree with everything zizero said, if the majority of Iraqis want him to be sentenced to death, so do I.
Reply 31
I think that it would say far more about the iraqis character and strength as a nation, if they spared saddams life. In oredr to move on as a nation, they need to embrace a more civilised morality. By doing that thiey would be rejecting the moralaity of the old regime, and establishing themselves as a respectable nation.
I read somewhere ages ago in The Times that international cooperation will cease if it was found Saddam will be executed?

I suppose it would be too much to ask a country like Iraq to abolish the death penalty, and if they did it will no doubt be reinstated.

What is the method of execution? If the Iraqis who hated Bush knew of Bush's attitudes towards the death penalty they could go against it, but that is doubtful.

The death penalty is the easy way out if it's done quick and fast, just have to look at lifers commiting suicide - Shipman.