Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police and crime commissioners, what's the point? Did you bother to vote? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I vote at every election, I always have done since I was 18. But I didn't vote for the Police and crime commissioner (PCC) election.

What is the point of PCCs? They are really just powerless advisors to police.

They can't stop the massive cuts to police officers.
    They can't lift the recruitment freeze.
    They have no influence on police procedure.
    There are no extra police officers on the streets.
    Since introduction of PCCs they've had no effect on crime rates.

While all this goes on the few remaining police we do have are in their police cars driving around bullying motorists while muggers and drug dealers freely roam the streets dealing smack crack and krokodi. And pedo gangs in places like Rotherham went undetected.

Money wasted on PCCs could have been better spent on recruiting real police officers.

So what is the point of PCCs? Seem more like a waste of space to me!

ReputationRep:
    Almost all the candidate for my city were dodgy (one of them is still undergoing court for having sexual activities with a boy under the age of 16).

ReputationRep:
    i did vote but they were talking to some pcso who turned up in 10 hours they'd had 140 voters
    Spoiler:
    Show
    out of 2,000 eligible

ReputationRep:
    To address all your legitimate points, the main reason people don't vote for PCC's is because not enough is known about them. The aim of the PCC's is to put them at the heart of police policy-making, which is why! each candidate presents their statement as to what they intend to do. In response to the Government cuts in policing, David Cameron turned against the PCC in his constituency for not doing a better job in making savings, instead of selling off buildings O_o

Alright! so they don't get a say in everything but! they do get a say in something and I believe that is key. Just how we elect MPs/Government based on their manifesto as to how they will spend public money, likewise for electing PCC's based on their statements as to how they will spend police money - but! the key part is, do you report a copper about a copper? From my studies this year, the answer would be no, or if yes, probably not taken seriously due to the shared bond/mission - the PCC therefore opens an avenue in that regard

Q: Do you see/speak to police more or PCSO's? How much power does a PCSO have? - For me, I see PCSO's more in my area with the odd cop car now and then (which! as I have learned, are not always got cops inside them O_o) but! how much say does a PCSO have? Instead, you can contact your PCC that goes straight to the top and works with the Chief Constable.

I also wouldn't call them powerless either, as when we were told to research our local PCC's, one student came back with their PCC who had fired their Chief Constable - so they must have some power under their belts to do that XD and I take the point that if unheard of, then why bother voting

It certainly is too late to encourage people to vote now XD but hope the above sheds some light on PCC's and certainly when it comes to the next election, I think we need to push for information to be posted, along with the propaganda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animus01)
    To address all your legitimate points, the main reason people don't vote for PCC's is because not enough is known about them. The aim of the PCC's is to put them at the heart of police policy-making, which is why! each candidate presents their statement as to what they intend to do. In response to the Government cuts in policing, David Cameron turned against the PCC in his constituency for not doing a better job in making savings, instead of selling off buildings O_o

Alright! so they don't get a say in everything but! they do get a say in something and I believe that is key. Just how we elect MPs/Government based on their manifesto as to how they will spend public money, likewise for electing PCC's based on their statements as to how they will spend police money - but! the key part is, do you report a copper about a copper? From my studies this year, the answer would be no, or if yes, probably not taken seriously due to the shared bond/mission - the PCC therefore opens an avenue in that regard

Q: Do you see/speak to police more or PCSO's? How much power does a PCSO have? - For me, I see PCSO's more in my area with the odd cop car now and then (which! as I have learned, are not always got cops inside them O_o) but! how much say does a PCSO have? Instead, you can contact your PCC that goes straight to the top and works with the Chief Constable.

I also wouldn't call them powerless either, as when we were told to research our local PCC's, one student came back with their PCC who had fired their Chief Constable - so they must have some power under their belts to do that XD and I take the point that if unheard of, then why bother voting

It certainly is too late to encourage people to vote now XD but hope the above sheds some light on PCC's and certainly when it comes to the next election, I think we need to push for information to be posted, along with the propaganda
    Nice post! ^_^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.