Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be getting a laptop after the GCSE's, but don't know which one to get. It will be used for a little gaming, word processing, watching films online, and some web surfing. What would someone suggest at a reasonable price? (bearing in mind that the better my grades the better laptop I'm getting and that I'm only doing 8 GCSE's.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My usual recommendation, get a desktop (not a shoddy one from a store, get something custom built or build it yourself). Unless you specific need a laptop for the portability you'll get better value for money all round from a desktop. Or better performance from seemingly similar components due to laptop grade hardware and things like thermal throttling.

Without any idea on what sort of budget you have it's impossible to recommend anything. My default recommendation for laptops nowadays is the Dell XPS range but they may be well outside your budget.

Also a little gaming? What does a little entail? Modern AAA titles? What sort of settings do you want?

Without more information it's impossible to say what laptop you should get. It's like saying what car should I get? Unless we know your budget and what you want to do specifically we can't recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    My usual recommendation, get a desktop (not a shoddy one from a store, get something custom built or build it yourself). Unless you specific need a laptop for the portability you'll get better value for money all round from a desktop. Or better performance from seemingly similar components due to laptop grade hardware and things like thermal throttling.

Without any idea on what sort of budget you have it's impossible to recommend anything. My default recommendation for laptops nowadays is the Dell XPS range but they may be well outside your budget.

Also a little gaming? What does a little entail? Modern AAA titles? What sort of settings do you want?

Without more information it's impossible to say what laptop you should get. It's like saying what car should I get? Unless we know your budget and what you want to do specifically we can't recommend.
    I have a budget max of £1000 if I'm lucky but probably only max £500.
    By a little gaming, I mean age of mythology or elite:dangerous maybe once or twice a week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Age of Mythology won't be an issue, off the top of my head the requirements for Elite Dangerous can be demanding as you ramp up the settings. You'd likely be stuck at low quality settings on a lower budget device. £500 is a solid budget and will net you something decent. A little more (around £700-800) will net you a reasonable machine that'll last. The upper limit of that £1000 will get you a more premium device. I'd recommend spending as much as you. Even if that means saving up yourself to improve your budget.

If you take out the gaming any £500 model will do you fine, albeit might not be as smooth as it could be.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.