Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what's the best way to briefly remember how and where each electoral system is used?

ReputationRep:
    No easy way unfortunately. I remember it like this:

Simple plurality: First past the post
    Majoritarian: AV (used in House of Lords for by election of a hereditary peer, Labour and Lib dem leadership elections)
    SV (Used in London mayor election, police and crime commissioners)

Proportional: Closed party list (European union parliament)
    Single Transferable vote (Northern Ireland local government and assembly and used EU parliament)

Hybrid: Additional member system (Scottish Parliament, Greater London Assembly, Welsh assembly)
    AV+ (Recommended by the Jenkins commission but never put in place, never been used!)

So in short

SP = FPTP
    PR = CPL, STV
    HYBRID = AMS, AV+
    MAJ. = AV, SV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickenbacker325)

Majoritarian: AV (used in House of Lords for by election of a hereditary peer, Labour and Lib dem leadership elections)

Single Transferable vote (Northern Ireland local government and assembly and used EU parliament)

Hybrid: Additional member system (Scottish Parliament, Greater London Assembly, Welsh assembly)
    AV+ (Recommended by the Jenkins commission but never put in place, never been used!)

So in short

SP = FPTP
    PR = CPL, STV
    HYBRID = AMS, AV
    MAJ. = AV, SV
    this is all spot on but I wouldn't say AV is a hybrid, it's just a majoritarian system which simulates multiple rounds like a two round runoff system, but has it via just one ballot

ReputationRep:
    AV is not a hybrid system, only AMS is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    this is all spot on but I wouldn't say AV is a hybrid, it's just a majoritarian system which simulates multiple rounds like a two round runoff system, but has it via just one ballot
    Hi there, AV and AV+ are two different systems! It was recommended by the Jenkins commission when it was set up in 1997 by New Labour. Look it up its a very interesting system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    AV is not a hybrid system, only AMS is
    As I pointed out to the other person, AV and AV+ are two different systems, sorry for any confusion.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, AV and AV+ are two different systems! It was recommended by the Jenkins commission when it was set up in 1997 by New Labour. Look it up its a very interesting system.
    oh, I think you forgot to put the "+" on the end of one of the AVs you mentioned then because you've got two "AV"s in your categories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    oh, I think you forgot to put the "+" on the end of one of the AVs you mentioned then because you've got two "AV"s in your categories
    Yes; apologies. It has been corrected. Have a good day.

ReputationRep:

So in short

SP = FPTP
    PR = CPL, STV
    HYBRID = AMS, AV+
    MAJ. = AV, SV
    Ooh thanks, that will make it easier

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.