Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In case you didn't know the accommodation application came online yesterday. But I guess I'm disappointed with cost of the accommodation e.g. how expensive it is and how many of the options are catered halls.
    The ones that are self-catered are also 38 weeks whereas the catered halls are 30 weeks and I'd rather not have to move my belongings every holiday.
    I would prefer to be in self-catered halls, mainly because it would force me to gain and develop my cooking skills.

So, I wanted advice in relation to whether it would be better to find private accommodation in relation to price, social life etc?
    Any advice regardless of whether you attend RH or not would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by FahzB)
    In case you didn't know the accommodation application came online yesterday. But I guess I'm disappointed with cost of the accommodation e.g. how expensive it is and how many of the options are catered halls.
    The ones that are self-catered are also 38 weeks whereas the catered halls are 30 weeks and I'd rather not have to move my belongings every holiday.
    I would prefer to be in self-catered halls, mainly because it would force me to gain and develop my cooking skills.

So, I wanted advice in relation to whether it would be better to find private accommodation in relation to price, social life etc?
    Any advice regardless of whether you attend RH or not would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hey Fahz,

There are plenty of options open to you, whether you choose to live in Halls or in private accommodation. Many of our students choose to live in Halls for their first year before moving to the private sector for the remainder of their degree.

Financially, although the monthly rent may seem to be cheaper in some private sector accommodation, please note that this is often for 52 week let, and if you are planning on going home over the summer holidays, then you may find that overall you would save money living in Halls on a 30 or 38 week let.

In terms of your social life, I really wouldn't anticipate living in the private sector to be a problem. There are lots of events in Welcome Week where you'll meet people, and it is likely that even in private sector housing that you would be living with other students.

Camilla

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.