The Student Room Group

Re Half Gcse?

Any Use I Mean If We Get 4 And A Half Gcse's Why Cant It Be A Full Gcse Grrr

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know what you mean. But the main reason you only do short course is because schools are forced into teaching you it, but they don't actually have many teaching hours to offer to you. So, you end up doing a smaller qualification to compensate.

I am doing full course, and frankly, i wish i was doing short course. I must of only had about 15 hours of actually teaching time for RS... which is far too little IMO. I end up just cramming before the exam. Really, short course would have been better for me.

Have you already done the exam then?
Reply 2
thnx for your help bexiness.
yeh i did my exam like 2 weeks ago.
i jus dont wanna get in position that i have 4 and half gcse wud be so annoying
Reply 3
Four months before Year 11 ended, we got asked if we'd like to make RE a GCSE. We were doing the short course. But, when we got the exam I noticed that the short course was the same paper as the full course, so where does the difference in both syllabuses come in, if both courses get the same exam? Besides, dunno about you lot, but on my CV and in general I'm regarding RE as a full GCSE. No need to let college and the employers know it technically isn't.

Having said that, if it says RE (Shortcourse) on it, that plan might be a bit buggered >.>
Reply 4
I agree.. even though I completely messed around in that lesson :biggrin:
Reply 5
Shokaib
thnx for your help bexiness.
yeh i did my exam like 2 weeks ago.
i jus dont wanna get in position that i have 4 and half gcse wud be so annoying

Yeah, i know what you mean. :smile:
I'm sure you'll get many more than 5 GCSE's though! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Humza
But, when we got the exam I noticed that the short course was the same paper as the full course, so where does the difference in both syllabuses come in, if both courses get the same exam?

I think for one thing, short course only has one exam, and also, i'd imagine the depth of answer is less involved that with full course. I doubt any employer's going to give a damn if you have GCSE or half GCSE RS. Especially not if you've got A-Levels / degrees.
Reply 7
Tehgiggles.
I agree.. even though I completely messed around in that lesson :biggrin:

Yeah, we just watched The Simpsons/Bruce Almighty/Bend It Like Beckham every lesson.. :p:
Reply 8
Who's going to know what course it was...or even care.
Reply 9
Bexiness!
Yeah, we just watched The Simpsons/Bruce Almighty/Bend It Like Beckham every lesson.. :p:

Ha! Same here! Except we watched The green mile instead of Simpsons :rolleyes:
I hate to break it to you, but it does state that it's a short course on your certificate. As DAVE 101 said, no one will care though. All we did was watch the Simpsons as well. Only one exam and no coursework :biggrin: Anyway, one of my friends still got into sixth form with 4.5 GCSEs even though the requirement is 5, so depending on what you want to do afterwards, 4.5 might just be accepted as 5 anyway.
Reply 11
At my school absolutely no ones takes RS seriously so our short course lessons are just a time to catch up with people you only see once a week... our teacher gave up afer 3 lessons, and just marks work from other years...
I actually enjoy RS and take it seriously so I opted for full course RS as one of my options - I wanted to actually learn about it. Because of timetabling, though, all of us who take full course RS were forced to take short ocurse aswell! Now, I'm going to get 1.5 GCSEs in RS, which is just plain frustrating, as I can't say it's double RS, and listing
RS - (grade)
1/2 RS - (grade)
is just ridiculous!
Reply 12
Bexiness!

lool well we never had the chance to watch the tv however we had enough fun throwing around proper RE text books and paperss :biggrin::biggrin: 1 day i actually hit the teacher wid da paper she was SHOCKED , but bcoz i own up to it she neva punished me !! :biggrin:
Reply 13
:mad: I ve not had any revision lessons for RE, and I m taking the exam on Tuesday.
Reply 14
peabob
At my school absolutely no ones takes RS seriously so our short course lessons are just a time to catch up with people you only see once a week... our teacher gave up afer 3 lessons, and just marks work from other years...
I actually enjoy RS and take it seriously so I opted for full course RS as one of my options - I wanted to actually learn about it. Because of timetabling, though, all of us who take full course RS were forced to take short ocurse aswell! Now, I'm going to get 1.5 GCSEs in RS, which is just plain frustrating, as I can't say it's double RS, and listing
RS - (grade)
1/2 RS - (grade)
is just ridiculous!

Yeah, i know someone in a similar situation. She was at another school in Year 10, and did short course RS a year early. Then, when she came to our school, she was having to do RS full course too, which she's doing now. It's even with the same exam board! So she's gonna have 1.5 GCSE's in it... :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Urgh, I got forced into full course RS because I did well in my mocks for the short course, but the lessons were during lunch time and I'd often forget, so I've had a total of about 4 hours of teaching for the second half of my GCSE. I really wish I had wriggled out of it, I haven't had any time to revise for it and really don't want to jeapordise other subjects for it =(
Reply 16
im doing full course but some students in my school are doing shirt course, i actually believe that the revision guide that my teacher has put together is so good that you could have never been to a RE lesson in your life, just by reading the revision get a decent grade.

The full course im doing doesnt require any coursework :biggrin:
I understand where you're coming from, but it's more of the concept that the short course GCSEs are ones which may help you in life, but there needs to be a simplistic course for them if you don't want to specialize in that particular subject area. For instance, I do short course Welsh and short course R.S. Both of these are useful in life: I live in Wales, and towards the South a lot of people speak it as their first language; RS teaches ethics and life skills. Although they seem fairly common-sense and the exams aren't too difficult, they can help in life as well. I enjoy speaking Welsh, but don't want to take up an option doing it as a full course as languages don't interest me, nor does religion.

We don't take RS seriously; our teachers just put videos on all the time. But then you look at it, and you just need to learn about 10 things from a particular religion such as a festival, a welcoming ceremony, some basic beliefs on ethics and around half of the paper is based around your opinion. It's those "Do you agree or disagree with this statement?" questions, where you get say 6 marks for explaining your own opinion lol.

The same goes for our Welsh really. We learn loads in class, but you don't need to know loads about the language to do well in the exam. I won't do anywhere near as well as I'd like to, but you get quite a few marks for grammar, punctuation etc, so lets see what happens!!

Also, on your CV/Job Applications, they don't really ask if it's half of a GCSE or not. It just asks for the subject, so you just put down "Welsh - A" or similar.
dude should ave done foundation for everythin

maybe you would have got a few C's ?
Reply 19
I'm doing the Short Course. 100% exam and it was a cinch!!!

Quick Reply

Latest