Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm planning to take a year off after A-levels and do some work experience and then apply for Medicine later that year. Do i have a higher chance of getting in if i do so? Or is it better to apply straight after A-levels? I'm currently doing my as on chem,bio,maths and GPR. Haven't done any work experiences yet (I came in like 2 years ago to this country!) But I will have some sort of work experience befor I apply for UCAS in this October!
    Say I get something like AAB for levels, and if i dont make it for a place in medicine after A-levels, is that a better plan??

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by If u dont mind)
    Hi
    I'm planning to take a year off after A-levels and do some work experience and then apply for Medicine later that year. Do i have a higher chance of getting in if i do so? Or is it better to apply straight after A-levels? I'm currently doing my as on chem,bio,maths and GPR. Haven't done any work experiences yet (I came in like 2 years ago to this country!) But I will have some sort of work experience befor I apply for UCAS in this October!
    Say I get something like AAB for levels, and if i dont make it for a place in medicine after A-levels, is that a better plan??

Thanks a lot!
    I honestly think that's the best plan for you! I'm hoping to do that too. Your application will look really good if you are going to be focused on working in the health industry for a year. You'll be exposed to a lot of things in the Hospital/Clinic etc. And you'll be ahead of your (future) classmates when it comes to going on placements in your course.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi

Thanks a lot!
    Agreed. I think a year off will help to not only make your personal statement look more appealing, but also help you to decide whether medicine is really right for you. I know so many people who took a gap year and say that they wouldn't be the person they are today if they didn't. Most universities look for an AAA achievement now too, so if you get a B, more work experience and strong reflection on it will boost your application. It's not any harder to get in if you go a gap year, notwithstanding the lower level of support you'd get applying after you leave school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumberhater)
    I honestly think that's the best plan for you! I'm hoping to do that too. Your application will look really good if you are going to be focused on working in the health industry for a year. You'll be exposed to a lot of things in the Hospital/Clinic etc. And you'll be ahead of your (future) classmates when it comes to going on placements in your course.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Are u doing As-level now? Can you tell me ur gcse stats and a-level predictions if u dont mind? Also, can u please tell me what sort of work experiences u have done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonyzac)
    Agreed. I think a year off will help to not only make your personal statement look more appealing, but also help you to decide whether medicine is really right for you. I know so many people who took a gap year and say that they wouldn't be the person they are today if they didn't. Most universities look for an AAA achievement now too, so if you get a B, more work experience and strong reflection on it will boost your application. It's not any harder to get in if you go a gap year, notwithstanding the lower level of support you'd get applying after you leave school.
    Thank you so much for ur reply!
    I think I have now decided that I'm gonna take a gap year after A-levels.

One last thing, do I have to apply through UCAS this october during my A2 or should I only do it a year after?

Cheers!🍻
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you so much for ur reply!
    I think I have now decided that I'm gonna take a gap year after A-levels.

One last thing, do I have to apply through UCAS this october during my A2 or should I only do it a year after?

Cheers!🍻
    You can only apply through UCAS on the year you intend to go to the university; you can't defer your entry. So in other words, apply during your gap year Good luck and feel free to ask anything else!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks a lot!
    I think you should apply twice just for the experience of the medical application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.