Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Need advice (i'll make it into a poll actually). Tonight is my school prom, and the head girl has said to me that it's "Black tie", so that's dj's and bow ties. But either people don't know that, or they dont own djs, because those of my friends i've spoken to have all said they are wearing suits with ordinary long tie, or something to that effect. I own both a suit and a dinner jacket, but i don't know whether i should where the dj, and thus be in the minority (i've only heard of 3 or 4 other people who are getting tuxs), or do i where a suit?
    my boyfriend hired a tux, his best mate is going out with mine as well so they got them together...our prom was themed "white tie and diamonds"...some blokes wore white tux, some had white long ties or bow ties, some just suits. i don't think it matters but if you wear a tux and there really are only a few others wearing them (though i bet there are more than you think!) you'll stand out...and blokes look great in a tuxedo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    ...our prom was themed "white tie and diamonds"...some blokes wore white tux, some had white long ties or bow ties, some just suits.
    White tie is different and more formal than black tie.

Black tie means dinner jacket - please do not call it a tuxedo.

ReputationRep:
    eeek, my brother has just proclaimed that i should wear a suit without a tie.....and i admit that doing that looks cool...why cant i go like that?

ReputationRep:
    Wearing a tux will just make you look like a complete idiot. Wear the suit. Possibly without the tie.

ReputationRep:
    whatever everyone else isn't wearing, you'll look much better if you stand out from the crowd. jeez, at my ball i probally had to recycle the same compliment to a lot of people. only the people who do something different were worthy of the meaningful comments, and they're the ones who you remember afterwards too.

ReputationRep:
    For my prom, everyone said they weren't going to bother with a tux but on the night it seemed as though there were only a few people without one! Definitely wear a dinner jacket. I can guarantee you won't be the only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    ...my boyfriend wore a tuxedo, not a dinner jacket.
    Tuxedo is the American word for dinner jacket.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: I decided to go in my suit without tie, open collar, and i think i made the right choice. The club was quite hot, so the full tux would have been really hot. Also there were hardly any people who turned up in dj and bow ties (as i suspected), and most of those took off their ties and jackets anyway, so that they could dance. I think i made the right choice to wear my suit, i thought i looked cool. I've done the whole dinner jacket thing before at a friends previous party, so they've all seen me wear it.

Oh something i thought funny: When other guys read "Black tie" on the invite, they thought "Must where a long black tie"......when i went into the bar, I thought somebody had died, because they were all standing around looking like they were dressed for a funeral!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)

Oh something i thought funny: When other guys read "Black tie" on the invite, they thought "Must where a long black tie"......when i went into the bar, I thought somebody had died, because they were all standing around looking like they were dressed for a funeral!
    Haha that is so true! I had to explain it to everyone in my school. They were so angry when they saw the invites and said "They want us to have a uniform prom outfit??"..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    UPDATE: I decided to go in my suit without tie, open collar, and i think i made the right choice. The club was quite hot, so the full tux would have been really hot. Also there were hardly any people who turned up in dj and bow ties (as i suspected), and most of those took off their ties and jackets anyway, so that they could dance. I think i made the right choice to wear my suit, i thought i looked cool. I've done the whole dinner jacket thing before at a friends previous party, so they've all seen me wear it.

Fair enough - a club is not exactly ideal for showing off your DJ and bow tie

And gah! Some people should really learn a little bit about dress codes :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i know - and some of them are going to oxbridge....i hate to think how they'll dress for a formal dinner!

ReputationRep:
    huh? after the poll an everytin how comes u wor th suit? i thoght u didnt hav one? how was the prom neway?

i didnt go to mine, but prom came to me......at 3am at my house. my parents WERE NOT happy. a very drunken prom mob :eek:
    hop u havd a nic time, u prob deserv it after thos damn damn alevels finished!!!!!! :cool:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.