Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been studying with the OU part time, my degree started in October 2012 and I took a rest until this January due to having twins, I've enrolled to go full time from October. My husband is also starting with the OU on a degree part time in October.

We have children (including young twins) and he's currently looking after them (one of which was born with a rare condition meaning he needs a lot of care) while I study as well as claiming JSA (apparently we're not entitled to income support). Obviously from October our whole situation will shift and I can't find any information to calculate what is best for my family.

I've heard that with the OU you can't get help for dependants etc. via student finance and I'm not sure how we'd stand with income support/jobseekers.

Has anyone else been in this positon? Does anyone know of a calculator that includes full time students?? The whole point of OU study is to make a better life for our family while still being able to look after them. I need to plan so that my family doesn't suffer financially.

Thanks in advance.

Stormy.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Stormy013)
    Hi,

I've been studying with the OU part time, my degree started in October 2012 and I took a rest until this January due to having twins, I've enrolled to go full time from October. My husband is also starting with the OU on a degree part time in October.

We have children (including young twins) and he's currently looking after them (one of which was born with a rare condition meaning he needs a lot of care) while I study as well as claiming JSA (apparently we're not entitled to income support). Obviously from October our whole situation will shift and I can't find any information to calculate what is best for my family.

I've heard that with the OU you can't get help for dependants etc. via student finance and I'm not sure how we'd stand with income support/jobseekers.

Has anyone else been in this positon? Does anyone know of a calculator that includes full time students?? The whole point of OU study is to make a better life for our family while still being able to look after them. I need to plan so that my family doesn't suffer financially.

Thanks in advance.

Stormy.
    I'm sorry but OU is counted as part time regardless of how many credits you do a year, so you can't get childcare or anything covered (i m doing 120 credits from october and am working part time to cover my living costs i m told its possible to balance although i dont have children myself) . OU might be able to offer financial assistance for somethings but otherwise look into whether you meet your local councils criteria for getting discount on council tax.

Have you looked into DLA for your twin if they are requiring extra care and carers allowance?
    This benefits calculator is supposed to be pretty accurate, http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits...alculator.aspx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.