Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi all,

I'm planning getting myself a new laptop for work and I stumbled across this:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...42583-pdt.html

It seems a bit too good to be true and the only reasons I can see it being so cheap are that it's only got 32GB of storage and a 10 inch screen. I need (want) something highly portable with good battery life that only really needs to be able to browse the internet and run MS Word and Excel (or free equivalent programs). For £120 this seems like a steal so can anyone see any reasons why this might be too good to be true? I can largely get around the storage problem because I keep all of my work on Box or Dropbox and I can access that through a browser.
    Reading reviews suggests that I can use a microSD card to get more storage, so that helps with that problem.
    Cheers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its what netbooks use to be. You only have limited requirements, os it may suit. Check some reviewas first though as the lack of power might annoy.

Get it from JL for the extra years warranty and CS

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo are known to have very cheap and good-for-value products

ReputationRep:
    • Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3537
    Low spec CPU, so you may find the laptop slow if you try and do anything intensive.
    • Memory: 2 GB
    Not much RAM (where data that is in use is stored) , so you will only be able to have two or three windows open, if you have a lot of internet tabs open then you will notice the laptop slow down considerably. At the moment i have 9 tabs open and spotify running, using a total of 3.9 GB of my RAM. So yeah the laptop is cheep because it has a "below average" CPU and a very small amount of RAM. You will probably want something with at least 4GB of RAM.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jonsmith98)
    • Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3537
    Low spec CPU, so you may find the laptop slow if you try and do anything intensive.
    • Memory: 2 GB
    Not much RAM (where data that is in use is stored) , so you will only be able to have two or three windows open, if you have a lot of internet tabs open then you will notice the laptop slow down considerably. At the moment i have 9 tabs open and spotify running, using a total of 3.9 GB of my RAM. So yeah the laptop is cheep because it has a "below average" CPU and a very small amount of RAM. You will probably want something with at least 4GB of RAM.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess 2 GB isn't much, but I don't particularly plan to do a huge amount with it. I have a desktop in my office for most work related tasks and a desktop at home for gaming and watching TV. I pretty much just want something I can take to conferences, summer schools and the lab to help me take notes and record data so lack of power isn't massively troubling to me. I'm not intending to use it for youtube or gaming at all.

I know laptops are not easy to upgrade (I have done it before, many years ago, it was difficult) but if lack of RAM becomes an issue it shouldn't be impossible to upgrade that, right?

My current thinking is that it's only £120 so even if it's not high power it's not going to bankrupt me and should get me through the rest of my course (another three years or so) with light usage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So I actually went to PC World yesterday to take a look at it and the guy in there basically advised me not to buy it because the internal storage and memory is insufficient to run W10. He said even basic browsing is nearly impossible and it almost always complains about the storage being full.

Think I'm going to look at getting a Chrome book or at least something a little bit more expensive as obviously you get what you pay for!

ReputationRep:
    Its crap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.