Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to cope with feeling down all the time? Watch

TLDR: How do I cope with being generally gloomy about almost all aspects of life for a 17 year old?

From about Easter onwards, I feel like I've had a gloom surrounding me.

My exams are coming up soon, and I'm dreading it. It's my final year at school and surpisingly I don't want to leave, but at the same time I'm excited to start the next chapter in my life. The person I like doesn't like me back, and whilst I try to forget about them, seeing them pretty much every day at school keeps them in my head, even though I try to have minimal exposure to them as possible. I feel like I'm becoming more distant from my friends, and whilst I'm probably overthinking things it really makes me feel sad when they do things without me (as I live in a different town to them). I no longer look forward to the weekends because I have work, homework and revision which takes up all of my time.

I've tried doing things to relieve stress: I go to the gym now, I put more effort into my appearence in order to boost my confidence, I meditate every now and then to clear my head and I've dedicated more time into improving my hobbies. I don't feel any mental change in my outlook, though.

I wouldn't say that I'm upset, just kind of somber in my outlook on life now and I want it to stop before it starts having a serious effect on my relationships with people. So, is there any way to help me stop feeling so down all the time? Has anyone experienced/experiencing something similar to this? Or am I being petty and these are just the normal struggles of being a teenager?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the ramble, this is the first time I've transcribed these thoughts into writing so I don't really know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    TLDR: How do I cope with being generally gloomy about almost all aspects of life for a 17 year old?

From about Easter onwards, I feel like I've had a gloom surrounding me.

My exams are coming up soon, and I'm dreading it. It's my final year at school and surpisingly I don't want to leave, but at the same time I'm excited to start the next chapter in my life. The person I like doesn't like me back, and whilst I try to forget about them, seeing them pretty much every day at school keeps them in my head, even though I try to have minimal exposure to them as possible. I feel like I'm becoming more distant from my friends, and whilst I'm probably overthinking things it really makes me feel sad when they do things without me (as I live in a different town to them). I no longer look forward to the weekends because I have work, homework and revision which takes up all of my time.

I've tried doing things to relieve stress: I go to the gym now, I put more effort into my appearence in order to boost my confidence, I meditate every now and then to clear my head and I've dedicated more time into improving my hobbies. I don't feel any mental change in my outlook, though.

I wouldn't say that I'm upset, just kind of somber in my outlook on life now and I want it to stop before it starts having a serious effect on my relationships with people. So, is there any way to help me stop feeling so down all the time? Has anyone experienced/experiencing something similar to this? Or am I being petty and these are just the normal struggles of being a teenager?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the ramble, this is the first time I've transcribed these thoughts into writing so I don't really know where to start.
    YES, JUST STOP!
    Literally as Obama said last week, you have to embody the change you want to become.
    IE. Stop thinking unhappy thoughts about yourself and start thinking about things positively.
    Hold your head high and yourself in high esteem, If not THE highest esteem because their is only one you.

The reason you haven't noticed a change is because you've focused on the negatives. The things have changed but your outlook hasn't. It doesn't happen by magic. You have to do it. No one else.
    Your friends/teachers/parents will support you and help but ultimately it's YOU that has to do it.

Did you choose to study? Yes. So why not take pride and enjoyment out of the topics? Read around the subjects at stuff that interests you and relate it back to the topics you learn.
    You'd be surprised just what you can actually enjoy with your new found knowledge.

Where do you want to end up? Ultimately this is down to you. Hold on to those thoughts and use them as motivation every single day.

Prove yourself wrong, prove others wrong.

Seek help on topics that are difficult and put work into learning how to solve it.

A teacher said that why stick to losing marks and failing at questions when you can learn how to solve them.

"70% couldn't answer the question, Don't be part of the 70%, be part of the 30% that can answer it."

And he's right. EVERY MARK COUNTS. And matters. Why scrape a pass instead of going for the best possible grade you can.

There's no way around it. Work has to be put in.

It makes life difficult but if you can find enjoyment in that work, if you can learn to make time for hobbies AND SLEEP then life won't be as gloomy.

And it's going to be difficult. You can see it in Year 13's faces. They could collapse under the pressure they are under. DON'T. It's the ability to cope and to focus that is the difficulty of A Levels.

A mountain looks big from the ground until you climb it and it becomes small.

You can do it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.