Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/f...8/4/sheet3.pdf

Question 5b) here.

So basically I've the MLE of mu (X bar, using independence and finding the joint distribution). Im fairly certain this is correct, but am unsure how to construct a CI. Do you just construct one for Lj or Rj ?

Also, for 5c) I am unsure how to find the joint density function when Lj and Rj are not independent.

Any help appreciated

Gregorius
    ghostwalker
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Sorry - somewhat beyond my knowledge base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/f...8/4/sheet3.pdf

Question 5b) here.

So basically I've the MLE of mu (X bar, using independence and finding the joint distribution). Im fairly certain this is correct, but am unsure how to construct a CI. Do you just construct one for Lj or Rj ?
    You are given that the Lj and the Rj are all independent of each other. So the situation is as if you simply had a random sample of 2n eye pressure measurement, where it simply doesn't matter whether the measurement has come from a left eye or a right eye! Your likelihood function with therefore give you an MLE for  \mu that involves a sum up to 2n.

Also, for 5c) I am unsure how to find the joint density function when Lj and Rj are not independent.
    Do you know how to write down the distribution function of a multivariate normal distribution using a variance-covariance matrix to describe the dependence structure?

In this case the covariance between Lj and Rj is easy to write down:

\displaystyle Cov(Lj, Rj) = Cov(Mj + Dj, Mj - Dj) = \sigma_{1}^{2} - \sigma_{2}^{2}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    You are given that the Lj and the Rj are all independent of each other. So the situation is as if you simply had a random sample of 2n eye pressure measurement, where it simply doesn't matter whether the measurement has come from a left eye or a right eye! Your likelihood function with therefore give you an MLE for  \mu that involves a sum up to 2n.

Do you know how to write down the distribution function of a multivariate normal distribution using a variance-covariance matrix to describe the dependence structure?

In this case the covariance between Lj and Rj is easy to write down:

\displaystyle Cov(Lj, Rj) = Cov(Mj + Dj, Mj - Dj) = \sigma_{1}^{2} - \sigma_{2}^{2}
    Thanks . I did not know about the variance-covariance matrix, and I'm not sure if we are supposed to or not, but will read up on it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.