Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I used to know a guy and unfortunately he was in the lowest set in school I think he was academically bad, in his class their were a few stupid people. I met him today and Asda, we shoke hands and had a conversation.

He works in a warehouse and earn around £13k after taxes.

I felt a bit sorry for him and I'm a programmer myself and advised him to learn a few programming languages, develop a portfolio of projects and then apply for programmer, developer jobs.

He told me "nah it's ok", he just wants to accept the way it is and not push himself, overcome challenges and accept better. He could get a nice clean office job earning £22k increasing and he accepts his job.

He just doesn't have the motivation and will power to study.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone wanted to be super-successful and above "average" (depending on how you define average), there will be a lot more competition.

ReputationRep:
    For a supposed programmer you seem to have no attention to detail...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to know a guy and unfortunately he was in the lowest set in school I think he was academically bad, in his class their were a few stupid people. I met him today and Asda, we shoke hands and had a conversation.

I felt a bit sorry for him and I'm a programmer myself and advised him to learn a few programming languages, develop a portfolio of projects and then apply for programmer, developer jobs.

He told me "nah it's ok", he just wants to accept the way it is and not push himself, overcome challenges and accept better. He could get a nice clean office job earning £22k increasing and he accepts his job.

ReputationRep:
    I guess he is content with what he has. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone can't be above average.

Happiness and success mean different things to different people.

I left it to him to see what he decides and I agree happiness and success means different things to different people.

ReputationRep:
    You talked about how much you earn? How crass.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectionism is a disease. I'll take whatever makes me happy, if something better comes along i'll go for it but if i'm content i'll not push it.

ReputationRep:
    I know many a person like that too.
    A good friend of mine works in a warehouse at the moment, for circa. £17k or so, maybe less.
    But he'll be at that pay grade for a long time, if he ever progresses.

Sadly enough he actually has an interest in IT yet doesn't have the motivation to go back to college and gain any qualifications to allow him to progress in that sector.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Not everyone s interested in programming. I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone can be above average as that would then become the average...

ReputationRep:

So he's perfectly happy with his life, job and income?

You ought to be jealous of him, sounds like he's living the dream tbh.

ReputationRep:

"He just doesn't have the motivation and will power to study." How do you know that if you talked to him one time? If someone told me that I should start programming I'd have a similar response. You can't base your interests as "correct" just because they're yours.
    Also, some people are content with how much they make and don't see it as a massively important thing, which I think is a great aspect to have.

ReputationRep:
    It depends upon what your priorities are. For some people, having a successful career that they worked extremely hard for over many years is what gives them a sense of self-worth and is what they regard as an achievement. For other people it's their families, their social life, their impressive stamp collection..

As long as it doesn't hurt or affect you, I don't believe that any one has the right to judge a person for what they choose to do with their lives, particularly if it's what makes them happy or content.

ReputationRep:
    If nobody accepted average sometimes society would crumble.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.