Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  3wat.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  29.7 KB

I dont really understand how to do this question. I get that the divergence of the field would be 3, But id have thought the divergence of the unit vector would just be the divergence of the vector itself divided by the magnitude, but it appears that this isnt the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eremor)

I dont really understand how to do this question. I get that the divergence of the field would be 3, But id have thought the divergence of the unit vector would just be the divergence of the vector itself divided by the magnitude, but it appears that this isnt the case?
    You can write the unit vector \hat{v} = \frac{v}{|v|} = \frac{v}{\sqrt{v^2}} now use the product/quotient rule on this to find the divergence.

If you do it this way - you should end up with \nabla \cdot \hat{v} = \frac{\nabla \cdot v - 1}{|r|}.

ReputationRep:
    Unit vector W (which is V hat in the question) = (\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}, \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}, \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}})

I will find d/dx for you. The rest is similar.

(Using quotient rule)

\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+  y^2+z^2}}) = \frac{(\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2})(1)-(x)(2x*\frac{1}{2}*(x^2+y^2+z^2)  ^{-\frac{1}{2}})}{x^2+y^2+z^2} = \frac{y^2+z^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{ \frac{3}{2}}}

You will get 2(x^2+y^2+z^2) at the top after you find the other derivatives and add them (definition of divergence). Cancel some stuff, you get the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eremor)

From a mathematical POV, this is much easier if you convert the field to spherical polars, then find the divergence, since then we get:

\bold{V} = r\bold{\hat{r}}

with no component in the direction of \bold{\hat{\theta}}, \bold{\hat{\phi}}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    From a mathematical POV, this is much easier if you convert the field to spherical polars, then find the divergence, since then we get:

\bold{V} = r\bold{\hat{r}}

with no component in the direction of \bold{\hat{\theta}}, \bold{\hat{\phi}}
    The divergence in SPC is disgusting
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by M14B)
    Also I think this is an exam question and I imagine they are looking to do it in cartesian since there is information about what divergence in spherical is. Of course OP might have a good memory!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Also I think this is an exam question and I imagine they are looking to do it in cartesian since there is information about what divergence in spherical is. Of course OP might have a good memory!!
    Exactly!

Btw is to possible to sticky again
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3330283
    as I am finding increasingly difficult to find it down the pages
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by M14B)
    Exactly!

Btw is to possible to sticky again
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3330283
    as I am finding increasingly difficult to find it down the pages
    Thanks
    Done!

ReputationRep:
    Done!
    Great
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by M14B)
    Great
    Hey just in case you're looking for it, I've merged the undergrad resources and the a level resources and they're now in a new sticky in maths called "maths resources".

ReputationRep:
    Hey just in case you're looking for it, I've merged the undergrad resources and the a level resources and they're now in a new sticky in maths called "maths resources".
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    The general formula is more complex, if that's what you mean, but we only need the radial term here, which makes the divergence calculation trivial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    The general formula is more complex, if that's what you mean, but we only need the radial term here, which makes the divergence calculation trivial.
    Agreed it will be trivial for the OP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.