From bad uni to good uni?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate student at the London Metropolitan University (I'm studying BA Law), unfortunately, I ended up here due to bad life choices (i.e. no motivation/revision).
    Anyway, although initially upset, I was so thankful for this opportunity to get my education back on track and I am on track to get a 1st class degree .

My question is, as I am entering 3rd year, I would like to begin my applications for postgraduate study.. I am hoping to study Law with Finance. Can I please have honest advice and opinions on whether any good or higher ranking universities would accept me? And does anyone know of any similar stories where people have graduated from a bad university but been accepted into a Russell Group university for their masters program?

I want to apply to higher ranking universities only (because, hopefully I will get a 1st!) but at the same time, I'd like to apply to universities that would actually consider my application and give me a chance.

Thank you so much for your time everyone! And please don't be mean.. as you can see from my name, I'm already quite sad about this situation :'(.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I went to a bad undergrad uni, but it was a middle-ranking former poly. I went on to do my Masters at an RG uni which was regularly in the top five in the UK for my subject.

With a well-written application, a good degree grade and some good academic references, decent admissions offices will see past the reputation of a lower ranked uni. Just don't get sucked into the reputation of your prospective postgrad unis when you're deciding between them. Sometimes great departments can be lurking in average unis. Look for the course and academic staff who are going to give you what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it la

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished an undergrad at Bath Spa (not a good uni) and have been accepted for an MRes at the University of Nottingham next year. My older sister went to the University of Central Lancashire (again, not a great one) and did a masters at Oxford, so its definitely possible!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! That's so inspirational 😃 What grades did you get /and courses did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I did media at Bath Spa, I hated the university/lectures and hardly attended but I really loved the subject and will be coming out with a high first and I'm going on to do Film & Television Masters by Research at Nottingham (One of the best unis for my subject, and only good one to offer Mres instead of MA), I had offers to move straight to a PhD, but without an MA/MRes it would have been impossible to get funding through AHRC or similar.

My sister got a 2:1 in Business and Chinese, but she had a lots of work placements and industry experience and lived in China for a while, so got onto a Business and Chinese MBA at Oxford so its definitely possible to move up the rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Unis are far less obsessed about 'which' Uni than students think. London Met Law degrees are approved by the Bar Society so are actually no different to those from any RG Uni in practical/academic terms. And other Unis know this.

Go for it. Be ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    My BSc was from Queen Mary University in London, which is probably considered one of the lower-mid tier universities in the Russell group, and I've been given an offer for MPhil at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Unis are far less obsessed about 'which' Uni than students think. London Met Law degrees are approved by the Bar Society so are actually no different to those from any RG Uni in practical/academic terms. And other Unis know this.

Go for it. Be ambitious.
    Hi there,
    I'm a student at the Business and Law faculty and although I do not study Law, I have met a lot that have and they have all had really good experiences and went to do some amazing things.

We actually have our own mock courtroom which gives our students the opportunity to practice what they are taught and get first hand experience working in the law environment. If you would like to come and talk to someone, we have a mini open day next week if you'd like to come and speak to someone and ask any questions!

Let me know if you need any more advice.

Kyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SadShark)
    I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate student at the London Metropolitan University (I'm studying BA Law), unfortunately, I ended up here due to bad life choices (i.e. no motivation/revision).
    Anyway, although initially upset, I was so thankful for this opportunity to get my education back on track and I am on track to get a 1st class degree .

My question is, as I am entering 3rd year, I would like to begin my applications for postgraduate study.. I am hoping to study Law with Finance. Can I please have honest advice and opinions on whether any good or higher ranking universities would accept me? And does anyone know of any similar stories where people have graduated from a bad university but been accepted into a Russell Group university for their masters program?

I want to apply to higher ranking universities only (because, hopefully I will get a 1st!) but at the same time, I'd like to apply to universities that would actually consider my application and give me a chance.

Thank you so much for your time everyone! And please don't be mean.. as you can see from my name, I'm already quite sad about this situation :'(.
    I went to a mid table, ex poli uni for my undergrad (not even a first, got 2.1) and now will be starting my masters at ucl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm also a London Met student hopefully on-track for a First. I've approached a few postgrad departments and have had very encouraging responses. I don't think it matters as much as much as most people, especially on this forum, would like to believe. Some of them also ask for submission of an essay or proposal so you can demonstrate your academic ability - I think this would count for more than where the degree comes from.

Don't be sad! A First is an achievement no matter where it comes from!

ReputationRep:
    London Met isn't simply a mid table ex poly so don't let examples of people from these places pull the wool over your eyes. London Met is considered by several places to be distinctively below the everyday mid table ex poly.

You can still make it into a RG for PG but a very high first and an excellent dissertation with an abundance of super relevant work experience will be the least you will need.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the lowest rank uni in the U.K. for undergrad (because I applied I ucas late I only got one offer and I didn't pay particularly care about stuff when I was 17, [I still don't]), for many years its results were so bad it refused to be in ranking tables because it would always be last and then went to uni of manc for postgrad, which is not exactly Oxford but probably the top uni in north west. Ironically, i loved my time at the low ranked university and hated Manchester and the sense of unsubstantiated snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from a relatively 'bad' uni (I enjoyed every minute of it though!), in terms of rankings I think it's about 99 and defiantly not Russell group !! I've got an unconditional offer at UoM now which is cosiderabley higher up the league tables and IS Russell group. So, yes, it's possible

ReputationRep:
    Students, particualary on TSR can get rather snobby about unis* but itreally doesn't matter for PG. They can tell from your application if you're a good student with enthusiasm for your subject and that's all they really care about.

*the amount of BS I see about how if you don't do maths at Oxbridge, Imperial or Warwick then why did you even bother? *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to a bad University but I went from non-RG University to a RG University for my masters. However, I didn't think I'd get it because I went from a History BA to Economics MSc - but a good application and motivation to meet their conditional offer got me a place. I honestly wasn't going to apply because I thought they'd see my History degree and reject me on that.

OP, just go for it. If you don't apply, you're never going to know - the beauty of masters applications is that you can submit loads of them so if you got rejected from one place you have many other options.

However, it's important to remember that a masters from a good University does not mean it's going to make getting a job any easier.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.