Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic news. Well done to all politicians and teachers, including numerous Tories who fought against this disastrous policy.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame people didn't oppose Gove's reforms the way they've opposed forced academisation. That vile man ruined our education system.

ReputationRep:
    Tories are laying off with their idealogical changes because they are upsetting to many people.

To be fair the Conservatives are their own worst enemy. They've allowed Sadiq Khan to be mayor due to being the nasty party.

The reverse cuts to Personal Independence Payments and Ian Duncan Smith resigning.

This Conservative Government is pure idealogical. Just wait until the FTSE100 dives again because Osborne will start pushing the rhetoric that its the poor and disabled fault etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a victory. I don't believe for a moment that they expected it to go through. This was a smokescreen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    It's not a victory. I don't believe for a moment that they expected it to go through. This was a smokescreen.
    A smokescreen for what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    A smokescreen for what?
    The EU drama
    A poor budget/ growth
    Election overspending

Anything really

ReputationRep:
    Why are people against Academys? I've read about all the people that are angry about it, and I'm sure there're valid reasons. Can someone sum them up for me?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by smartboomer)
    Why are people against Academys? I've read about all the people that are angry about it, and I'm sure there're valid reasons. Can someone sum them up for me?
    Academies may or may not be "a good thing". But forcing all schools into becoming one was plain crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Why was it crazy?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Why was it crazy?
    Why force all to change? If it's not broken...

ReputationRep:
    Tories basically want everything privatized. Academies are basically self governing institutions which can use their school funding how they see fit.

So if they want to hire teachers at min-wage they can do so. And lots of other things too.

ReputationRep:
    Academies take schools out the democratic control and oversight of local authorities and give them to private firms.

ReputationRep:
    It is complex. Originally failing schools were converted and with it given massive amounts of money and freedom to make big changes. Since then many successful schools or grant maintained schools have converted in order to take advange of freedoms in order to provide excellence. However others are sponsored by business or orgisations that don't necessarily have excellence of education at heart. Because academies are run as businesses some have cut costs by employing non-qualified teachers on salaries well below the NQT salary. There is also an issue of governance in some instances where schools are closed but no one really knows why. Then there was the scandal where the chief exec managed to skim hundreds of thousands in salary and benefits. There is nothing to stop academies becoming selective with their intake or sacking teachers with impunity. But worst of all, as a parent or pupil, you would be unaware of the corners being cut in order to boost profits and cut costs in education. There is also no evidence that academy status raises standards. It is good for some schools but not all and especially not small schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It is complex. Originally failing schools were converted and with it given massive amounts of money and freedom to make big changes. Since then many successful schools or grant maintained schools have converted in order to take advange of freedoms in order to provide excellence. However others are sponsored by business or orgisations that don't necessarily have excellence of education at heart. Because academies are run as businesses some have cut costs by employing non-qualified teachers on salaries well below the NQT salary. There is also an issue of governance in some instances where schools are closed but no one really knows why. Then there was the scandal where the chief exec managed to skim hundreds of thousands in salary and benefits. There is nothing to stop academies becoming selective with their intake or sacking teachers with impunity. But worst of all, as a parent or pupil, you would be unaware of the corners being cut in order to boost profits and cut costs in education. There is also no evidence that academy status raises standards. It is good for some schools but not all and especially not small schools.
    Excellent post.
    They are simply a money making scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Excellent post.
    They are simply a money making scheme.
    I think that is a bit disingenuous. There are some academies out there that deliver true excellence for their students. But the move behind the Tories plan to force schools is about control. At present non academies are controlled by local authorities. Local authorities are not directly controlled by the government so by making all schools academies the government get to make a massive land grab of education. And yes, a lot of tax payers money will end up in private pockets.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.