Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

so by way of background, I was in hospital during my GCSE's, prior to that I was in and out of hospital and attending hospital appointments, throughout the 2 years of my gcses, this was due to my mental illness of which I am diagnosed with and have letters and relevant material to prove so, before I became ill I was an extremely high achiever, i was almost top in all my classes, I sat 3 of my GCSES's whilst in hosptial, of which i obtained A* (short course) C (full course) C(full course)

I am now recovering well and am taking my gcses this year with the hope of achieving 3A* 2A'S and B, I was wondering whether uni's will take this into consideration when applying to med school, I am fully aware of the high competition hence my query, I am going to work really hard for my AS and A2's, I really want to do medicine, so what is the likelihood of my application being considered and being accepted, with the conditions that i get 4A's at AS and 4A* at A2,

my dream uni was cambridge however i know this is not an option for me anymore, could you also suggest some uni's that I have a better chance of getting into,

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did you not apply for extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied to uni yet, I applied for extenuating circumstances whilst I was in hospital doing my gcse's but they weren't accepted i don't think

ReputationRep:
    yes they will take into account extenuating circumstances and tbh i don't even think your predicted GSCEs are that bad- obviously this would cut out GCSE heavy unis like Bristol, Birmingham cardiff (but ring up and check if they would consider despite extenuating circumstance)
    i would recommend smashing a levels and UKCAT and possibly BMAT to apply to less GCSE heavy unis i.e. St georges(who only require all A at GCSE average) and Barts (tho ukcat req. is ridiculous) Exeter, Durham i think, BSMS Lancaster and Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_geek234)
    Hi,

so by way of background, I was in hospital during my GCSE's, prior to that I was in and out of hospital and attending hospital appointments, throughout the 2 years of my gcses, this was due to my mental illness of which I am diagnosed with and have letters and relevant material to prove so, before I became ill I was an extremely high achiever, i was almost top in all my classes, I sat 3 of my GCSES's whilst in hosptial, of which i obtained A* (short course) C (full course) C(full course)

I am now recovering well and am taking my gcses this year with the hope of achieving 3A* 2A'S and B, I was wondering whether uni's will take this into consideration when applying to med school, I am fully aware of the high competition hence my query, I am going to work really hard for my AS and A2's, I really want to do medicine, so what is the likelihood of my application being considered and being accepted, with the conditions that i get 4A's at AS and 4A* at A2,

my dream uni was cambridge however i know this is not an option for me anymore, could you also suggest some uni's that I have a better chance of getting into,

Thanks
    Your dream is not over yet. Universities should accept your extenuating circumstances as long as you provide evidence (which I assume you do have). Cambridge are more concerned about you AS levels than your GCSE's so don't give up. Just ace your A levels and UKCAT and apply to universities that don't place a huge emphasis on GCSE's. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    thankyou all this has been very helpful, I know theres a very minimal chance but is there any point in applying to oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_geek234)
    thankyou all this has been very helpful, I know theres a very minimal chance but is there any point in applying to oxbridge?
    No. to put it bluntly. No.
    Medicine will be good wherever u go- focus on the hurdles to come like A levels and Ukcat- then pick unis based on your strengths- the amount of extra work u have to do just for oxbridge- specific personal statement and Oxbridge style interviews u will find its not worth the extra effort when other very good medical schools- i forgot to mention UEA earlier i think- will take u

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.