Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Digimon is better than Pokemon. Outrage statement? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So a friend of mine decided to tell me (which given my avatar and username you can say was a bad idea :zomg: ) that Pokemon was inferior to Digimon!

I for one thought this was silliness. Do you think this is the case?!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was always more of a fan of Monster Rancher, myself.

:vroam:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The games and other merchandise for Pokemon were far superior to anything Digimon put out, and the anime was fun enough, but if I had to choose which one to rewatch then it'd have to be Digimon for the plot. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    digimon cyber sleuth is ****ing great
    it's like smt/persona meets pokemon
    i grew up with pokemon gen iv and v, and i liked x/y, but, imo, the gen 3 remakes were the laziest games yet, and have really destroyed my faith in the series

i can't speak for other games in the series, or for the anime, but as far as cyber sleuth is concerned, it's a better game than ORAS

seriously, if you have a ps4 or a vita, go out and get it, right now

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Both are bad as each other
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pokemon had the head start in the gaming franchise and on the whole makes the better video games. Digimon has a number of solid games though, for example Cyber Sleuth which is excellent. Some of the DS games feel very much influenced by Pokemon. It's important to remember that with Digimon though it's been very tough to get games localised. Cyber Sleuth was a huge effort and it paid off. The lack of games in general mean there isn't much to compare to so the overall standard is better for Pokemon.

In terms of the anime Digimon wins hands down. Pokemon started off well but never tried to reinvent itself. For the most part the series followed the same basic plot with minor differences and character changes. It became stale very quickly. Digimon on the other hand has a lot more variety. It's anime is strong on the whole with season 3 (Tamers) offering more plot than a lot of anime series, even today. For their time the animation was often pretty good as well and in my opinion the animation quality in Adventure Tri far outdoes modern Pokemon.

In card games Digimon falls down again. The card games never took off and as a result there isn't much to go on. Pokemon has a thriving TCG community and is going from strength to strength. The gaming side of Pokemon is where it shines.

On the whole Pokemon is the superior franchise. It's better recognised globally and probably grosses more. Digimon however is still huge and is not in decline. If anything seeing Western imports of games and new content is evidence that the series may be on the grow. The creators listen to the fans in this respect.

Objectively Pokemon wins out. But for me Digimon is by far the better franchise. I enjoyed Pokemon games but stopped playing them. They'd all become very similar and simply evolved with new technology like the 3DS. The basic makeup of the core games is the same and the spinoffs are mediocre (Mystery Dungeon was cool but again became very samey). The fact we don't have as much Digimon content here means anything new isn't judged with such high premise. Cyber Sleuth only offered 240 Digimon, in a Pokemon game that would be horrific. And yet many of us didn't care because we got a new Digimon game.

It's very much personal preference when it comes to which is better. Pokemon puts out better results but often this is down to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. It's all the same at heart. Digimon tried to lots of stuff and I for one would love to see a remake of the Rumble Arena or Digital Card Battle games.

So for me Digimon wins by a huge margin
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    So a friend of mine decided to tell me (which given my avatar and username you can say was a bad idea :zomg: ) that Pokemon was inferior to Digimon!

I for one thought this was silliness. Do you think this is the case?!
    In terms of the TV series, yes your friend has right. Digimon is superior in this view. I can't judge the games in comparison to each other. I have just played pokemon games.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I like them both, although this opinion can only come from the games because I don't really watch either of the animes. I quite liked Digimon World Dawn on the Nintendo DS but I do find quite a few Pokémon games fun to play as well. Pokémon seems to have the better popularity out of the two franchises.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.