Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm going on my first travel holiday with my friends next month. We're going around South America for three months.

They mentioned taking laptops etc, do you think this is a smart idea?

Also, if I was to do this, I was considering buying a cheap Chromebook or something, what are you thoughts/suggestions?

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!

Incase it helps, whilst we are planning on doing some trekking, the trip will be a mixture of city and rural areas. Also we will most likely be staying in hostels etc....although an idea of a road trip has been suggested so maybe we will stay in a car/campervan that we buy cheaply out there....

ReputationRep:
    If I had a really light/small laptop (like a Macbook Air or the HP equivalent) I might take it, but realistically a tablet can do almost everything you need and is way lighter - *except* if you're taking photos on a camera with no wireless means of getting the photos off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Hey guys, I'm going on my first travel holiday with my friends next month. We're going around South America for three months.

Also, if I was to do this, I was considering buying a cheap Chromebook or something, what are you thoughts/suggestions?

Incase it helps, whilst we are planning on doing some trekking, the trip will be a mixture of city and rural areas. Also we will most likely be staying in hostels etc....although an idea of a road trip has been suggested so maybe we will stay in a car/campervan that we buy cheaply out there....
    Do you definitely need a laptop? It sounds like a tablet could suit you pretty well due to the usually smaller size, less weight etc.
    Plus rugged/durable/waterproof cases are quite easy/cheap to obtain off of the internet for most brands of tablet. I'd have thought it'd be harder & more expensive to provide the same protection to a laptop or even an ultrabook.
    I'm pretty sure Chromebooks need to be connected to the internet to fulfil their potential so unless you've got good access to Wifi you might struggle with one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)

the risk of robbery is rather high unless in the safe tourist hotspots so i'd get a cheap tablet or a older laptop that can be easily replaced

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason you need a laptop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Is there a reason you need a laptop?
    From what my friends were saying, it's useful to like book flights etc when we're there as apart from landing in Colombia, we haven't planned the rest of the trip.

I suppose it could be useful if there's a time when I'm just one the bus travelling to other cities etc, let me work/watch films and stuff, maybe even use it to back all my pictures etc up online asap incase I do get mugged/robbed.

But as it's my first ever trip, I have no idea how everything works so not sure if it's essential or not.

ReputationRep:
    As someone with a Chromebook, I can advise you that it's probably not suited for your needs. Only the higher-end ones have internal memory and I've found that my photos get messed up when I store them here (like uploading to then downloading off Facebook), and they don't display well anyway. I only use it because my school is heavily dependent on Google Drive.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought a small tablet like an iPad mini would be perfect. You could get a 1st generation used one on eBay for about £50-£60. Small, compact and not too expensive that you have to worry about it unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely not essential; and a pain to carry unless thin/small. will make you a target for thieves and, if you spend all your time online keeping up with things at home, watching films etc then why bother going? immerse yourself in south America - you may never have three full months there ever again

a tablet/smartphone should suffice for any admin you want to do and email contact - maybe with a keyboard if you want to blog your trip/do work - but have you checked how common wifi will be where you are?

ReputationRep:
    Many hostels offer free wifi and a free computer, also I wouldn't want the stress of looking after something so expensive.

ReputationRep:
    as a supplementary point - if you do take one (or any expensive bit of kit) check carefully if there are any single item limits/exclusions in the terms and conditions of your travel insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariah)
    absolutely not essential; and a pain to carry unless thin/small. will make you a target for thieves and, if you spend all your time online keeping up with things at home, watching films etc then why bother going? immerse yourself in south America - you may never have three full months there ever again

a tablet/smartphone should suffice for any admin you want to do and email contact - maybe with a keyboard if you want to blog your trip/do work - but have you checked how common wifi will be where you are?
    Absolutely this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.