Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Every liberal should be aware of the paradox of tolerance Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." -Karl Popper

It's important for us liberals to understand this. Valuing liberalism and being willing to defend it is essential if liberalism is to continue existing.

ReputationRep:
    Lgbt love muslims even though muslim countries execute them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    "Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." -Karl Popper

It's important for us liberals to understand this. Valuing liberalism and being willing to defend it is essential if liberalism is to continue existing.
    Too clever for me to understand your argument, but I am trying very hard. I let you know if it comes.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic quote. Reminds me of some of the more intricate facets of Buddhism. You see a lot of Western Buddhists raising things like this, as they tend to be fairly unable to embrace traditional Buddhism fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brexitbiscuit)
    even pigs know wolves are dangerous for them
    these humans are lower than pigs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brexitbiscuit)
    (Original post by patrickstarfish)
    even pigs know wolves are dangerous for them
    these humans are lower than pigs
    Not all LGBT think this way, it's just the people in charge of their societies and charity groups. Just look at Milo Yiannopolous or Douglas Murray. Also (anecdotal I know) but I do know some LGBT people who have logically consistent views of Islam and Muslims.

ReputationRep:

I do agree with this statement. However, at what point is something considered 'intolerance'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    I do agree with this statement. However, at what point is something considered 'intolerance'?
    I'd say intolerance to liberalism itself.

ReputationRep:

Rep based KB on sight crew.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.