Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I have been stuck with these type of questions recently.. Could you please help me understand how to do number 2) c)? Thanks a lot!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    Hey guys! I have been stuck with these type of questions recently.. Could you please help me understand how to do number 2) c)? Thanks a lot!!
    A standard electrode potential is measured when you start with exactly 1 mole of chromium 3 in the solution. In chromium 3 sulphate, each molecule contains 2 chromium atoms, thus, each mole of chromium 3 sulphate molecules contains 2 moles of chromium atoms, but you only want 1 mole of chromium atoms, then how many moles of chromium 3 sulphate do you need? Well, half a mole. If the mass of a mole of chromium 3 sulphate is 300g or whatever, then how grams are there in half a mole of chromium 3 sulphate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    A standard electrode potential is measured when you start with exactly 1 mole of chromium 3 in the solution. In chromium 3 sulphate, each molecule contains 2 chromium atoms, thus, each mole of chromium 3 sulphate molecules contains 2 moles of chromium atoms, but you only want 1 mole of chromium atoms, then how many moles of chromium 3 sulphate do you need? Well, half a mole. If the mass of a mole of chromium 3 sulphate is 300g or whatever, then how grams are there in half a mole of chromium 3 sulphate?
    Thanks a lot! But do we want only one mole of Chromium ions? What's the reason for that?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! But do we want only one mole of Chromium ions? What's the reason for that?
    Yea we do. The electrode potential of a cell varies with the concentration. The higher the concentration, the more they push (or pull) against the electrode and thus the electrode potential varies. Hence, chemists need to agree on a standard concentration to measure the potential difference with, it just so happens that 1 mol is the concentration they chose to be the standard.

ReputationRep:
    Yea we do. The electrode potential of a cell varies with the concentration. The higher the concentration, the more they push (or pull) against the electrode and thus the electrode potential varies. Hence, chemists need to agree on a standard concentration to measure the potential difference with, it just so happens that 1 mol is the concentration they chose to be the standard.
    Thanks a lot!! You are a life saver!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!! You are a life saver!!
    Let me know if you have any more questions ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Let me know if you have any more questions ^_^
    Sure!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.