Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any input on what all the different types of accommodation halls/villages are like at Oxford Brookes? More specifically Clive Booth student village and Cheney student village! I can't make my mind up, I ideally would like to be close to Headington.

ReputationRep:
    Chaney and Clive booth and the two best halls to go into. Cheney is better located and have much nicer bedrooms! My personal choice is Cheney!

ReputationRep:
    For my research, I looked at the OBU accomodation page - it gives details on all the halls. Work out the annual cost allowing for the contract period and look at the floor plans. You could google the hall name and reviews but I didn't think they were that helpful. I haven't lived there yet so an existing student may be better placed to comment - but here are my conclusions. I get the impression that the buses (U1, U1X, U5, U5X) can be crowded and delayed - so if you are a long way from your lectures, get ready for early starts.

Part depends on where your lectures are? Wheatley, Harcourt or Headington. If you are in Headington, Clive Booth (CB) and Cheney are very close. CB is more expensive per week but Cheney has a longer contract period so CB is actually cheaper unless you can sub-contract the extension period at Cheney back to OUB (which I think is allowed).

Warneford is a bit further out - cheaper but no ensuite - and is walkable to Headington.

The further out halls include Crescent, Slade, Paul Kent and the Mews. Slade and Mews look very nice but are smaller campuses than CB and C but a lot more expensive (especially the Mews). Also, you rely on the U5 (Headington) or U5X (Wheatley) buses so google the time tables and the routes so you know what you are in for. Some students have said that the U5 and U5X can be very crowded at the later stops. But all these halls are 10 mins cycle ride from Headington as far as I can see.

If you are at Wheatley, Lady Spencer Churchill is the only hall but is a long way from the Headington social centre and has a reputation of being quiet. It's also non ensuite

If you are at Harcourt, you will either rely on the U1 bus or live at Wellington Hall - which is non-ensuite.

DON'T put any hall that you aren't willing to live in as there is a risk that you may get it. So, if your lectures are at Harcourt, don't put Lady Spencer Churchill (Wheatley) down just to fill in the fifth place or you will spend your life on a bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spuddders)
    For my research, I looked at the OBU accomodation page - it gives details on all the halls. Work out the annual cost allowing for the contract period and look at the floor plans. You could google the hall name and reviews but I didn't think they were that helpful. I haven't lived there yet so an existing student may be better placed to comment - but here are my conclusions. I get the impression that the buses (U1, U1X, U5, U5X) can be crowded and delayed - so if you are a long way from your lectures, get ready for early starts.

Part depends on where your lectures are? Wheatley, Harcourt or Headington. If you are in Headington, Clive Booth (CB) and Cheney are very close. CB is more expensive per week but Cheney has a longer contract period so CB is actually cheaper unless you can sub-contract the extension period at Cheney back to OUB (which I think is allowed).

Warneford is a bit further out - cheaper but no ensuite - and is walkable to Headington.

The further out halls include Crescent, Slade, Paul Kent and the Mews. Slade and Mews look very nice but are smaller campuses than CB and C but a lot more expensive (especially the Mews). Also, you rely on the U5 (Headington) or U5X (Wheatley) buses so google the time tables and the routes so you know what you are in for. Some students have said that the U5 and U5X can be very crowded at the later stops. But all these halls are 10 mins cycle ride from Headington as far as I can see.

If you are at Wheatley, Lady Spencer Churchill is the only hall but is a long way from the Headington social centre and has a reputation of being quiet. It's also non ensuite

If you are at Harcourt, you will either rely on the U1 bus or live at Wellington Hall - which is non-ensuite.

DON'T put any hall that you aren't willing to live in as there is a risk that you may get it. So, if your lectures are at Harcourt, don't put Lady Spencer Churchill (Wheatley) down just to fill in the fifth place or you will spend your life on a bus.
    I want to go to the Mews purely for the double bed and ensuite but worried its annoying getting the bus? I think my course is at heading ton campus so its not that far away but are there many freshers living in the mews or is it like internationals. I applied through clearing so i probably wot get it, i put westminster as my second choice nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone staying at the Mews??? i got placed there and dunno how i feel about it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinksy)
    Does anyone have any input on what all the different types of accommodation halls/villages are like at Oxford Brookes? More specifically Clive Booth student village and Cheney student village! I can't make my mind up, I ideally would like to be close to Headington.
    I have an ensuite room in Clive booth and would like to swap with someone in Cheney at the start of this year (before or during freshers week), if anyone wants to swap just get in touch and send a reply!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.