Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I don't know how, but I've completely failed my ICT coursework- getting an E and a B in my two units. I don't know how this happened! I know that with my two upcoming written papers I can get A* in- my question is, how much difference would this make to my overall grade? Overall, I'm hoping to get at least a B (because of my unit 2 disaster). But is this possible? And if not, is there anything else I can do to salvage my grade? We've already sent the controlled assessments off for marking. Please help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Completely failed? An E and a B is not a failure. Both are grades. B is a solid grade and above average.

As far as how much difference it makes you'll need to work that out yourself. Exams and coursework tend to have different weightings. If coursework was worth 50% and overall you got a C for example than that'd have a lot more of an impact than if you go a B but coursework was only worth 25%.

If they've been sent off for marking there isn't much you can do. At this point it's expected that you've done everything you can and the assessments are ready for marking. How do you know you got an E and a B though if they've just been sent off for marking? Have they actually been sent off for moderation? Or was the E and B a guidance grade from your teacher? If the moderators feel you've been over or under marked they can make changes. Likewise if the E/B aren't official grades then things can change. But you can't have any sort of impact at this point.

Don't let it bother you though. GCSE's may seem super important to you now but they'll be utterly worthless in a few years. Assuming you're going to college you need to make sure you have sufficient grades to get on your course. After that I really doubt anyone will care about your GCSE's again. So in the event you do fail it won't stay with you very long and assuming you can get 5 A*- C grades across the rest of your subjects it literally will not matter unless you specifically needed ICT for something.

You've not failed and even if you don't do as well as you'd hope it really won't matter that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Completely failed? An E and a B is not a failure. Both are grades. B is a solid grade and above average.

As far as how much difference it makes you'll need to work that out yourself. Exams and coursework tend to have different weightings. If coursework was worth 50% and overall you got a C for example than that'd have a lot more of an impact than if you go a B but coursework was only worth 25%.

If they've been sent off for marking there isn't much you can do. At this point it's expected that you've done everything you can and the assessments are ready for marking. How do you know you got an E and a B though if they've just been sent off for marking? Have they actually been sent off for moderation? Or was the E and B a guidance grade from your teacher? If the moderators feel you've been over or under marked they can make changes. Likewise if the E/B aren't official grades then things can change. But you can't have any sort of impact at this point.

Don't let it bother you though. GCSE's may seem super important to you now but they'll be utterly worthless in a few years. Assuming you're going to college you need to make sure you have sufficient grades to get on your course. After that I really doubt anyone will care about your GCSE's again. So in the event you do fail it won't stay with you very long and assuming you can get 5 A*- C grades across the rest of your subjects it literally will not matter unless you specifically needed ICT for something.

You've not failed and even if you don't do as well as you'd hope it really won't matter that much.
    Thanks for replying. Coursework is worth 60%. The E and B were guidance grades from the teacher... Perhaps I haven't failed, but I really wanted to get into a top university, and I'm worried that they won't even consider me if I have a bad GCSE grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savandwich)
    Thanks for replying. Coursework is worth 60%. The E and B were guidance grades from the teacher... Perhaps I haven't failed, but I really wanted to get into a top university, and I'm worried that they won't even consider me if I have a bad GCSE grade.
    As long as you pass the subject I don't see how it would effect you getting into a top university, just focus on doing well in the exam if you can't improve your coursework grade, procrastination will only lower your grade.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    60% is a hefty chunk but it's not overwhelming. If you got one bad grade you can even it out. Rather than looking at it as an E and B even it out. You may find that a high E/B evens out to a low/mid C for example. Meaning a solid A would still even out to a B.

If you're teachers were anything like mine they'll mark you down so as not to get your hopes up. If my teacher told me I had an E there's a fair chance it might end up being a D. Nothing is locked in at this point.

Honestly universities don't care. Take a look at the ones you want to get into and see if they ask for anything. But they're more worried about A Level grades or UCAS points. At most they might expect something generic like 5 A* to C including Maths and English. I'm looking at Oxford for example and they say successful applications tend to have a high number of A and A* grades. But that's not a specific requirement. The entry requirements for Maths at Oxford expect you to have an A Level in Maths and Further Maths. They don't even mention GCSE's on the page. I imagine the same is true for their other courses and other similar level universities.

Short of it is once you get into college nobody will care what GCSE's you have, beyond an odd requirement here and there for 5 A* to C's. Which it sounds like you're perfectly on track towards. So really don't worry. My college tutor took one look at my GCSE's and they haven't been since. Uni made no specific ask for them. So don't panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    60% is a hefty chunk but it's not overwhelming. If you got one bad grade you can even it out. Rather than looking at it as an E and B even it out. You may find that a high E/B evens out to a low/mid C for example. Meaning a solid A would still even out to a B.

If you're teachers were anything like mine they'll mark you down so as not to get your hopes up. If my teacher told me I had an E there's a fair chance it might end up being a D. Nothing is locked in at this point.

Honestly universities don't care. Take a look at the ones you want to get into and see if they ask for anything. But they're more worried about A Level grades or UCAS points. At most they might expect something generic like 5 A* to C including Maths and English. I'm looking at Oxford for example and they say successful applications tend to have a high number of A and A* grades. But that's not a specific requirement. The entry requirements for Maths at Oxford expect you to have an A Level in Maths and Further Maths. They don't even mention GCSE's on the page. I imagine the same is true for their other courses and other similar level universities.

Short of it is once you get into college nobody will care what GCSE's you have, beyond an odd requirement here and there for 5 A* to C's. Which it sounds like you're perfectly on track towards. So really don't worry. My college tutor took one look at my GCSE's and they haven't been since. Uni made no specific ask for them. So don't panic
    Oh I get it. Thank you for your help. I'll just try as hard as I can in the exam and hope that that will even it out. Thanks again!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh I get it. Thank you for your help. I'll just try as hard as I can in the exam and hope that that will even it out. Thanks again!
    Not a problem. As long as you put the effort in you'll do fine. And even if you don't it isn't the end of the world. No matter what happens it's nothing to worry about

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.