Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I've noticed a problem (since a young age actually, just never considered it properly)
    I find it really hard to finish on time when doing exams. I've always been so slow, and during GCSEs I actually didn't finish a lot of my papers (English- no time to write a conclusion, maths- missed out 20 marks worth of questions on both the papers, didn't finish any of the science papers, etc) it's definitely not exam technique because I've been to all the exam technique sessions prior to GCSEs and I've gone for A levels too and I literally feel like I can't finish (even when I'm rushing). So at home I decided to practice some papers without timing myself and I've noticed I need anywhere between 10-20 mins more per paper (sometimes more or less etc), and when I put this into context for each paper it falls within 25% extra time (which is offered to people who need it.
    My question is, how can I find out if I'm eligible? I didn't really care for GCSEs but I want to get the grades I deserve this year, and I revise lots and feel like the knowledge is there . When I do untimed papers I get really high marks because I actually finish the paper. When I do it timed I get 90% of what I actually finish right, so the loss of marks is just down to not being able to finish.
    Is it too late to ask for extra time for my AS exams? My first is on the 17th of May :/
    My parents think it's all exam technique but looking back, I highly doubt it. Even in end of year exams year 7-9 I had this problem and the teachers would just say 'oh she's slow' but I really need to get good grades for A level.
    It's not like I get 'bad' grades (well to me they are less than satisfactory but that's because I have really high expectations this year)
    Like for Maths, under timed conditions I get Bs/Cs but with that extra 15-20 mins when I do it untimed I get high Bs/Low As/High As and sometimes close to full UMS. This 15-20 mins is roughly 25% extra time.
    Someone please help me lol I'm scared of underachieving. Especially because I put in so much effort and revise so hard /:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's too late, loads of people in my class are getting it just for the hell of it lol. Apparently you just take a test where sounds are played and you have to write what you think it relates to

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by RueXO)
    Okay, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I've noticed a problem (since a young age actually, just never considered it properly)
    I find it really hard to finish on time when doing exams. I've always been so slow, and during GCSEs I actually didn't finish a lot of my papers (English- no time to write a conclusion, maths- missed out 20 marks worth of questions on both the papers, didn't finish any of the science papers, etc) it's definitely not exam technique because I've been to all the exam technique sessions prior to GCSEs and I've gone for A levels too and I literally feel like I can't finish (even when I'm rushing). So at home I decided to practice some papers without timing myself and I've noticed I need anywhere between 10-20 mins more per paper (sometimes more or less etc), and when I put this into context for each paper it falls within 25% extra time (which is offered to people who need it.
    My question is, how can I find out if I'm eligible? I didn't really care for GCSEs but I want to get the grades I deserve this year, and I revise lots and feel like the knowledge is there . When I do untimed papers I get really high marks because I actually finish the paper. When I do it timed I get 90% of what I actually finish right, so the loss of marks is just down to not being able to finish.
    Is it too late to ask for extra time for my AS exams? My first is on the 17th of May :/
    My parents think it's all exam technique but looking back, I highly doubt it. Even in end of year exams year 7-9 I had this problem and the teachers would just say 'oh she's slow' but I really need to get good grades for A level.
    It's not like I get 'bad' grades (well to me they are less than satisfactory but that's because I have really high expectations this year)
    Like for Maths, under timed conditions I get Bs/Cs but with that extra 15-20 mins when I do it untimed I get high Bs/Low As/High As and sometimes close to full UMS. This 15-20 mins is roughly 25% extra time.
    Someone please help me lol I'm scared of underachieving. Especially because I put in so much effort and revise so hard /:
    I am like this too!!

ReputationRep:
    well its too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RueXO)
    Okay, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I've noticed a problem (since a young age actually, just never considered it properly) I find it really hard to finish on time when doing exams. I've always been so slow, and during GCSEs I actually didn't finish a lot of my papers (English- no time to write a conclusion, maths- missed out 20 marks worth of questions on both the papers, didn't finish any of the science papers, etc) it's definitely not exam technique because I've been to all the exam technique sessions prior to GCSEs and I've gone for A levels too and I literally feel like I can't finish (even when I'm rushing). So at home I decided to practice some papers without timing myself and I've noticed I need anywhere between 10-20 mins more per paper (sometimes more or less etc), and when I put this into context for each paper it falls within 25% extra time (which is offered to people who need it. My question is, how can I find out if I'm eligible? I didn't really care for GCSEs but I want to get the grades I deserve this year, and I revise lots and feel like the knowledge is there . When I do untimed papers I get really high marks because I actually finish the paper. When I do it timed I get 90% of what I actually finish right, so the loss of marks is just down to not being able to finish. Is it too late to ask for extra time for my AS exams? My first is on the 17th of May :/ My parents think it's all exam technique but looking back, I highly doubt it. Even in end of year exams year 7-9 I had this problem and the teachers would just say 'oh she's slow' but I really need to get good grades for A level. It's not like I get 'bad' grades (well to me they are less than satisfactory but that's because I have really high expectations this year)Like for Maths, under timed conditions I get Bs/Cs but with that extra 15-20 mins when I do it untimed I get high Bs/Low As/High As and sometimes close to full UMS. This 15-20 mins is roughly 25% extra time. Someone please help me lol I'm scared of underachieving. Especially because I put in so much effort and revise so hard /:
    Ask the person in charge of the learning support system at your school/college if there is enough time before the exams start for them to see if you can get extra time. I know that in my school they have to ask a couple of months in advance, but I live in Scotland, so it might be different for A levels. You could get your parents in to speak to them too, but if they don't think that you need extra time and will not be fully committed to telling them why you need it(as they may be difficult to persuade if you seem able/capable), it might be better to speak to whoever is in charge of arranging it yourself. If you don't think you'd be confident enough to fight your case, you could write down -like you did in the OP- the reasons why you think you need extra time and give it to them/read from it. Show them papers that you have completed with/without the extra time to prove that you feel you need it and see what they say- the worst that can happen is that they say no. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    What is said by the person from Scotland is not entirely true for A levels. For A Levels the deadline for extra time applications is Feburary. This deadline is the time for applications via the Joint Council for Qualifications- which if approved applies to all exam boards.

However if you miss the deadline or something changes the SENCO can make an emergency application for access arrangements which can include extra time. This has to be made direct to the exam board with which you are sitting the paper. As such you may find that if you sit Geography with Edexcel and French with AQA you could get a situation where you have extra time in Geography not French. These applications are treated like applications at the last minute due to accidents such falling over and breaking your arm.

I know however that most SENCO do not realise that you can make these applications after the deadline for learning difficulties. Originally at GCSE I was assessed too late for the January exam deadline and was told no extra time due to the elapsed decline. I learnt different this summer when we encountered a problem with Edexcel S3 where I could not finish the paper with 25% extra time. On Friday new SENCO made emergency application for 50% extra time in S3 direct to Edexcel on Friday- change was granted today. But again change on applies to that specific paper with that exam board.

It would be a very labor intensive exercise to get you extra time now. If at all possible since you have to show history of need which it is unlikely your school will have documented.

ReputationRep:
    It would be very unlikely to get extra time as the SENCO would need to carry out some tests on you and then apply online. If your school has your extra time documented e.g. teachers test which indicate the need for extra time then it would be a bit more easier to apply as the school would have evidence of your needs.

When I did my GCSE mock exams a few years ago, I only had 25% extra time and got mainly Ds as I got not finish any of the papers so the teaching assistants and teachers in my classes started collecting evidence e.g. timing all pieces of work I do and timing my speed of writing, to help me get the 50% extra time which was luckily accepted for the real GCSE exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.