Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just looking to hear anyone who has had catered accommodation in the past to help me make my mind up, was the food selection in founders enough to keep it mixed, and what is the food quality like? Is the hub particularly expensive? I can't find many prices anywhere, so I just don't know if it is cost effective in comparison to self catered halls with cooking and the like.

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BringMeTheRadke)
    Just looking to hear anyone who has had catered accommodation in the past to help me make my mind up, was the food selection in founders enough to keep it mixed, and what is the food quality like? Is the hub particularly expensive? I can't find many prices anywhere, so I just don't know if it is cost effective in comparison to self catered halls with cooking and the like.

Thank you in advance!
    Hey, I wasn't in catered accommodation but I did sometimes eat in both Founder's Dining Hall and the Hub so I think I can help a little.

The Hub is a little more expensive than Founders and catered students only get the discount there on weekends.
    I found this term's menu here: http://www.staff.royalholloway.ac.uk...Hub-week-3.pdf
    As far as I remember the food quality wasn't the best but it wasn't awful either.

Personally I prefer the food in Founders. I can't access this terms menu but here's one from last year to get an idea of what they offer: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/ecam...ndersweek2.pdf
    People say that Founder's food is better quality.

I've never eaten in Kingswood so I don't know about that, sorry!

Someone's posted recently about the prices for cash, non-catered students and catered students, so I recommend you look at that for more information
    It's like less than half the cash price for catered students ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Almohada)
    Hey, I wasn't in catered accommodation but I did sometimes eat in both Founder's Dining Hall and the Hub so I think I can help a little.

The Hub is a little more expensive than Founders and catered students only get the discount there on weekends.
    I found this term's menu here: http://www.staff.royalholloway.ac.uk...Hub-week-3.pdf
    As far as I remember the food quality wasn't the best but it wasn't awful either.

Personally I prefer the food in Founders. I can't access this terms menu but here's one from last year to get an idea of what they offer: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/ecam...ndersweek2.pdf
    People say that Founder's food is better quality.

I've never eaten in Kingswood so I don't know about that, sorry!

Someone's posted recently about the prices for cash, non-catered students and catered students, so I recommend you look at that for more information
    It's like less than half the cash price for catered students ~
    Yeah this did really help, that's quite good that it's only 1 day a week I might eat in the hub anyway. Yeah I saw that post too. I was worried that the cheaper prices might mean worse food but this has reassured me c: is it possible to take the food out of the dining hall or is this not allowed?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this did really help, that's quite good that it's only 1 day a week I might eat in the hub anyway. Yeah I saw that post too. I was worried that the cheaper prices might mean worse food but this has reassured me c: is it possible to take the food out of the dining hall or is this not allowed?
    I'm not sure about taking like actual meals to your room or stuff - I've never tried. But I was able to get things like chips and burgers in take away boxes from the Hub before so it may be possible if you ask ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Almohada)
    I'm not sure about taking like actual meals to your room or stuff - I've never tried. But I was able to get things like chips and burgers in take away boxes from the Hub before so it may be possible if you ask ~
    Less to my room, more if I'd want to go outside or something. I worry that if I'm a catered student I might get quite fed up of the same old dining hall for all the meals of the day Students get a 10% discount everywhere anyway right? What are the supermarket prices like compared to a usual one? I'm disappointed that the local shop is a tesco because ive always seen it as rather expensive. Any other food outlets that you particularly liked?

ReputationRep:
    Less to my room, more if I'd want to go outside or something. I worry that if I'm a catered student I might get quite fed up of the same old dining hall for all the meals of the day Students get a 10% discount everywhere anyway right? What are the supermarket prices like compared to a usual one? I'm disappointed that the local shop is a tesco because ive always seen it as rather expensive. Any other food outlets that you particularly liked?
    To avoid eating all meals in the dining hall all the time I feel a lot of catered people make breakfast and maybe lunch in the pantries. Though you could also go to Crosslands for pizza or sandwiches or salad etc. if you didn't mind spending a bit more (you wouldn't get the catered discount).

I think the discount is 20%, but only when you pay with your college card, not cash. Catered students have a higher discount, but not sure what it is or whether it only counts when paying by college card...

I wouldn't recommend shopping at the shop on campus at all unless really necessary. It's expensive and there's not much choice.

The local supermarkets are Tesco and Waitrose, and the prices are normal Tesco and Waitrose prices. However, in self-catered halls at least we used to order our weekly shop as a flat (easier than carrying food back up the hill), so we could choose to order from Asda or wherever we wanted.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.