The Student Room Group

Ways to get into medicine in an unconventional way???

I'd love some advice or knowledge of how anyone got into medicine not in the "usual" way.. (i.e. 3 A*s at A level). I'm just about to sit my A-level exams however am only doing 2: Psychology and English Language, and am predicted A/A* in both. Also at GCSE I got 7 A*s and 1 A, but only did Biology as a GCSE (dropped the other 2 sciences). All of these lesser qualifications occurred because I went to hospital a few times over secondary school/college and couldn't cope with the work load. But, now I'm wondering if there is any way I would be able to get into Medicine either through an access course etc without doing any more A levels... (I want to study Psychiatry eventually).

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I could progress from here, or should I give up on medicine and try for a psychology degree? I'm also currently applying to work in a general hospital over the next year as a HCA.
Reply 1
There are a few access courses for students with a non science background so you'll have to check different unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could do a degree in something medical-related and get in as a graduate, although that is notoriously competitive...

Most universities want a biology/chemistry A Level regardless though. I'd definitely start by looking at what universities you want to go to, and then looking at their requirements/alternative methods of entry through there :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by antonyzac
You could do a degree in something medical-related and get in as a post-graduate

You're not a postgraduate until you complete a masters or above. You would be entering as a graduate in this case.
Original post by Etomidate
You're not a postgraduate until you complete a masters or above. You would be entering as a graduate in this case.

Ah woops! I meant graduate entry! :biggrin: Thanks for the correction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending