Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm stuck in a fixed-term tenancy, need advice! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I moved out recently, as I'll be going to university in London in Sept, or I'll be working there. But I signed up to a tenancy contract for 12 months that is frankly too high, given a family problem that has just occurred.

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is [deleted, user has already provided me with a review of the site, and don't want to get banned for advertising] , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

My landlord refuses to help me exit the tenancy!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Armpits)
    Hey,

So I moved out recently, as I'll be going to university in London in Sept, or I'll be working there. But I signed up to a tenancy contract for 12 months that is frankly too high, given a family problem that has just occurred.

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is tenancytermination.co.uk , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

That site looks like rubbish. You cna get another tenant to take your place with LL's consent. You need to read your agreement tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That site looks like rubbish. You cna get another tenant to take your place with LL's consent. You need to read your agreement tbh.
    Alright cheers

Does the landlord have an obligation to release me from the contract?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is tenancytermination.co.uk , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

What does your tenancy agreement say about break clause?

ReputationRep:
    Alright cheers

No, but if the other person will take over the spot, you may have to pay an extra months rent but it should be okay?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Alright cheers

No.
    He isnt even under an obligation to permit you to replace yourself, but its important to read the tenancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    What does your tenancy agreement say about break clause?
    Says I have to keep on paying rent due under the lease

ReputationRep:
    Says I have to keep on paying rent due under the lease
    That's not a break clause..

Does your agreement have one? What does it say about giving notice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    That's not a break clause..

Does your agreement have one? What does it say about giving notice?
    I'm scanning it right now, I see no break clause.

It literally says I agree to pay the stated rent for the duration of the contract. Nothing specified.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine I found a solution.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It will be under the heading termination.
    As you are a student iits highly unlikely there will be a break clause that can be exercised by the tenant by serving notice.
    If I was the LL I would wnat the money for all year to aboid situations like now and losing money.

And the solution is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It will be under the heading termination.
    As you are a student iits highly unlikely there will be a break clause that can be exercised by the tenant by serving notice.
    If I was the LL I would wnat the money for all year to aboid situations like now and losing money.

And the solution is?
    I'll probably advertise on student pages, or gumtree or something and try to find someone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.